HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2014, 09:03 AM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitwhatsthat View Post
I must be lucky because I have yet to break a diff. I'm running a 5250kv motor with a 12t pinion. All my diffs. Are filled with 7k diff oil. I only run on 2s though it's plenty fast. I do have some spare diffs and parts but haven't needed them yet. The only damage to the drivetrain is the drive cups are starting to wear pretty good.
Ditto here. 4250kv motor, 11t pinion, 40k oil in the center and 20k at each end. running on a pretty high traction clay track. Even with soft proline Ion tires, all 4 start slipping before the diff will strip. I feel like I have put as much stress on the gears as anyone, and I've never had a problem.

Some of us just got lucky and got good ones I guess.

To answer the question a couple posts up, the stock pinion is 14T, 3.125mm dia shaft, MOD1 pitch. So you have it right. I assume you're gearing it up, but if going down, 12t is really the smallest you can go. My 11t meshes pretty poorly, but it's as tight as the motor mount will allow.
Chubbs is online now Find More Posts by Chubbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2014, 12:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
246 Posts
Not gearing up, just ordering another one because this got busted
Poor meshing from the factory...now I have to wait a month.
zedooo is offline Find More Posts by zedooo
Old Nov 02, 2014, 01:05 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedooo View Post
Not gearing up, just ordering another one because this got busted
Poor meshing from the factory...now I have to wait a month.
Or just order any other MOD1 3.175mm pinion locally and use the HK one as a backup when it arrives. Local hobby shop would be best.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Nov 02, 2014, 01:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
246 Posts
Yeah, I wish there was a real hobby shop in Croatia hehe
Old Nov 02, 2014, 08:50 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedooo View Post
Yeah, I wish there was a real hobby shop in Croatia hehe
That sucks, but maybe you can still find somewhere close to you to order one from instead of waiting for Hobbyking, which I've heard the wait can be a nightmare in certain places of the world.

Good luck!
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Nov 03, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
246 Posts
Thanks