Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:26 PM
safer on the ground
wilts, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2006
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
5/27/2011 Update:

The firmware in folders for "Remove Time" and "Continuous Recording and Remove Time" that were posted on 5/20/2011 were reversed! This has now been corrected as of this date. If you downloaded the either of these two folders prior to this date, please down load these two folders again so they contain the correct firmware files.

5/20/2011 UPDATE:

New Release 2 firmware NOW AVAILABLE.

The firmware we have been using up until today (Release 1) is now considered obsolete and is replaced with Release 2 Firmware (attached below). I have removed Release 1 from download availability here to avoid confusion and future problems. If you are still running Release 1 and need one of the old firmware files from that series, PM me.

The new firmware IS NOT INTERCHANGABLE with the prior Release 1 firmware, so do not try it. YOU CAN overwrite the old Release 1 firmware with the new Release 2, but you cannot do the opposite. Release 1 will load over Release 2 and run, but strange things can result, like the video frame size might be reduced down to a very high resolution 320 x 240 size like it did on my camera. Fortunately re-installing Release 2 will restore normal operation, and Release 2 has all the functionality of Release 1, plus it has added better color saturation control. So there is no reason to not install Release 2 unless there is something about Release 1 you can't part with.

Release 2 has just three firmware files:

1. Remove Time: Erases the visible time/date stamp from the video. Recording will stop/save/continue at 20 minute intervals

2. Continuous Recording & Remove Time: This is suppose to remove the time stamp and enable recording to continue without stopping until the flash memory card is full or the 4GB file size limit of the FAT32 file system is reached. With the latter, the recording will stop, saving the file to the flash card. It is suppose to then continue with a new 4GB file, but this part is currently non-functional. It will be fixed soon to continue with a new recording with only a several second delay.

3. Recover Time: Restores the time/data stamp on the video and the 20 min. stop/save/continue recording function.

All firmware has the improved exposure control from Release 1, and adds improved color saturation control. Any further improvements will be only be added to Release 2 firmware. The firmware is installed exactly like the prior ones. The following self-extracting zipped archives contain each of the firmware files in their own folders for identifcation since they are all named the same like the prior firmware:
Hi Tom
I feel that I've got to write to you to thank you for the above info, I've now done 2 of my #11 key cams and it worked perfectly both times, I only wish somebody could come up with the same type of file to do the same to my #8 cameras, as the #11 was so easy to do.
many thanks
Ray Kyte.
PS I hope somebody soon comes up with the updated file so that the camera will restart after 4gb.
teccer1234 is offline Find More Posts by teccer1234
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
Please TOM
help me...I tried to put the new firmware on my KEYCAM, but now all is off.
If I connect the camera to USB it stay 2 minutes with the led red and after that all is off.There are not any kind of sign of live.
It mean s that I have to forget the Keycam?
I follow the instruction, put the firmware inside the SD card with the SDreader,put the sd inside the camera, switch on the camera but nothing happen and nothing on and now this is the condition.
Whta Can I do?
Thanks
Gianni
GIANNI63 is offline Find More Posts by GIANNI63
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:14 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANNI63 View Post
Please TOM
help me...I tried to put the new firmware on my KEYCAM, but now all is off.
If I connect the camera to USB it stay 2 minutes with the led red and after that all is off.There are not any kind of sign of live.
It mean s that I have to forget the Keycam?
I follow the instruction, put the firmware inside the SD card with the SDreader,put the sd inside the camera, switch on the camera but nothing happen and nothing on and now this is the condition.
Whta Can I do?
Thanks
Gianni
It's not clear if you have done the steps listed in the FAQs link in post #3. Always look there first for help.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
Ye sure, this guy have profit 80$!!
You jump to so many conclusions. This web source is selling from the US... important to some. That costs money to ship them here. The developer cannot make the mounts for free! That costs something. And he has devoted time to develop and set up manufacturing of the mounts. That's worth something. Is the price unreasonably high for this... maybe, but the free market will determine that.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,874 Posts
Quote:
Haha, lol
Please... save replies like this for PM to the original post. It adds nothing to the thread!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:54 AM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
You jump to so many conclusions. This web source is selling from the US... important to some. That costs money to ship them here. The developer cannot make the mounts for free! That costs something. And he has devoted time to develop and set up manufacturing of the mounts. That's worth something. Is the price unreasonably high for this... maybe, but the free market will determine that.
Blah, blah, blah...We were all just poking fun. No need to be so serious.

On the subject of mounts, has anyone made a waterproof case for these? I think I read about using a tic-tac case, will that do?
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:58 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,220 Posts
Jims123 has shot underwater footage from the keel of his RC sailboat. See post 2967 and I know that others have used the tic tac case as well.
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:18 AM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Jims123 has shot underwater footage from the keel of his RC sailboat. See post 2967 and I know that others have used the tic tac case as well.
Head
TicTac fits very well, the bigger box even when an angled USB connector is plugged in. However....... the video suffers from a lot of 'fog' in Dutch: it is 'condens'

TicTac behuizing en condens (0 min 45 sec)

First part is when I just left work. Some water gets on the class which I glued over the hole I made in the TicTac box in front of the lens.
Later on visability is good but the camera sees nearly nothing.

Same rout, different moments but with even more problems:

Compilatie Creatieve weggebruikers (1 min 43 sec)

Perhaps I can try 'anti-fog' like stuff you put on the inside of visors of motorcycle helmets.

pictures of my tic-tac boxes in:
http://velomobielfan.blogspot.com/20...ger-maken.html

pictures are without the glass in front of the lens. I attached it later on. I used a piece of glass you use for microscopes; the rectangular glass you put the thing on you want to examen (objectglas in dutch); the bigger one in the photo below:

wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Last edited by wfvn; Jun 24, 2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:06 AM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
456 Posts
Why you use "tic-tac" box, instead just camera housing?
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:29 AM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
Tom,
I read what you suggest but nothing change,also if the led become red when I connect to the PC by USB nothing change.
The camera is totally dead.
Please help me.
Thanks
Gianni
GIANNI63 is offline Find More Posts by GIANNI63
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:44 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamindar View Post
Blah, blah, blah...We were all just poking fun. No need to be so serious.
In my humble opinion, I believe that it is his thread - he puts LOTS of work into it to make it very useful - it is his call to make if he wants the thread to not contain trivial comments including levity that makes the thread harder to read to extract useful facts - he alone should set the tone for the thread.
And it would be appropriate for him to flag THIS message as unwanted if he sees fit.

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:01 AM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Why you use "tic-tac" box, instead just camera housing?
I prefer just the camera housing. However, the camera housing isn't exactly water tight. So in (heavy) rain I like to keep the camera dry AND working.
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:46 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
I got mine this morning, it does not have the date displayed and I did not ask him to remove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwingvr6 View Post
Nope, I didn't ask them to delete it. I didn't check if the 20 thing is on there but I probably won't shoot more than 20 minutes at a time either.
I got it from this guy. http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-HD-DV-key-c...item2561584a5a
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:51 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Head

That reminds me. I'd forgot about the project.. those videos were shot thru a small plastic bag..and were a little fuzzy, but I really want to try the u/w baggies I made with a glass lens cut from a microscope slide.. soon as get the courage and can test one or two with an No3 That pond has almost no sea life in it at all..so I am looking for a better place to shoot it too..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Closed Thread