HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2010, 02:24 AM
No Quarter given
Klamath Falls, OR
Joined Nov 2003
247 Posts
Yippee!
Universal Module for Futaba 12FG

I wanted to have my 12FGA to be able to use XPS, and since there is presently no module that will fit it, I decided to use a Universal XPS Module. This radio will also be using FASST, and 72mhz, so I wanted to be able to keep the module a simple external mount for the time being, so I was hoping to use the trainer/DSC port on the back, and simply cut up an old cord that had the mini-square style plug on it from an old flight simulator. The plug pops apart into two pieces easily with the aid of a small screwdriver exposing the pins on the back for soldering.

I had a heck of a time finding information on the pinout for the 12FG. Since it is so close to the design of the 12Z and 14MZ I assumed that the DSC port is the same. 12Z and 14MZ do not offer a hot pin providing + positive voltage through this port, and if you look at a few threads here, a couple of guys ran the power off of a different pin in a different location. So I was gearing up for a messy looking install that would use the plug for two wires and a third wire for the juice to power the module. So much for easy change out.

However, the FG does not have a dead DSC/Trainer port!!!! I think it is very much like the old 9C port. Below is a diagram of the pins I used. You will want to have your harness configured for 5.5v to 30v for this setup, as the voltage is 7.xx volts. I have the 72mhz module in the radio while using the XPS, although when it asks me to transmit on the menu I tell it NO. I'm not sure if the radio will allow PPM transmission without that module in place.

You can change the PPM modulation to PPM-12 channel. I was able to operate a servo from channel 10 on the XPS RX so it is providing more than 8 channels of PPM, I would guess all 12.
Capgains is offline Find More Posts by Capgains
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:29 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
If it is the same as the 9C then you should probably short between the power pin and the one next to it (I forget which side). On the 9C this powers the encoder but not the RF module so you will not transmit. I'm not sure if this works on a 12 since I don't have one.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:23 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
You could test to see if all 12 channel are available by setting the channel map for 11 and 12 to appear on some other channels.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2010, 01:06 PM
No Quarter given
Klamath Falls, OR
Joined Nov 2003
247 Posts
V. I. (by the way I still like your Avitar)

I read posts about jumping the lower center pin with the pin to the right of it, but don't know why you would do that on this application. The pin to the right has constant voltage of 7.xx no matter if the TX is switched on or off, so the only way you can shut the XPS module down is to pull out the plug when not in use.

When you turn on the 12FG, you are prompted "Do you want to transmit? Y/N as part of it's start up. I don't remember my 9C asking permission, so maybe the difference between the 9C and 12fg is the software.

Jim... I could do that, or you could make me a 16 channel RX.
Capgains is offline Find More Posts by Capgains
Old Feb 03, 2014, 07:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
So does this work as I have a 12fg and would like to use it on 12 or 14 channels?
INDIZA is offline Find More Posts by INDIZA
Old Feb 03, 2014, 10:18 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
If its the same 12FG described here, then yes.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member