SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:41 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyu80305 View Post
I have Radian, it's a very slow flying sailplane. Why do we need a new PRO with flaps for? What do we really need is 2.5 to 3 m heavier one with all functions.
I agree about the wingspan, would have preferred a larger model, but there seem to be some very nice mods on this new release. Better connectors to the control horns, possible better method of connecting the wings and a flatter wing should make it more maneuverable along with the ailerons. Again, I would have really liked to have seen a 2.5~3M wingspan version, but I am very happy to see the improvements. It will not be the same plane with the changes. The wing being flatter should really change some of its flight characteristics, lets just hope for the better.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:19 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
758 Posts
All I can say is it flies very nice. Different than the original of course but every bit as nice.

There is a small amount of dihedral and polyhedral break in the wing. Many high end full house composite planes have some dihedral or both dihedral and polyhedral. It definately does not feel any heavier in the air and since it uses the same airfoil it performs every bit as good as the original.

Once you get your hands on it you will like it.

The couple of hardcore sailplane flyers we have at Horizon are going to use it as thier competition practice plane since it feels more like a composite ship than foam in the air.

There is one hidden change that you cannot see and that is we added fiberglass blades down the fuselage under the pushrods dramatically stiffining the fuselage.

Plus you can do crow, camber and reflex with this Radian.

Hope that helps.

Matt Andren
Parkzone/Hobbyzone Product Development
Horizon Hobby
Mattfly is offline Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:32 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Matt,

How do the wings lock in place? Also, since there are more servos, did they upgrade the ESC/BEC? Thanks for the info.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,445 Posts
Matt, what kind of transmitter are we gonna need to take full advantage of the Radian Pro? Will a DX7 do nicely?

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:35 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Deck View Post
Rumor has it that the full house Radian will be unveiled at the World Masters of Soaring at the AMA site in Muncie this weekend. This is the site where the original Radian had its coming out party two years ago. The reaction of the high-end soaring pilots there should be interesting.
mmaayybbee!!
(ok, yeah, as long as we round up enough samples.... lol)

David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:47 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
Matt,

How do the wings lock in place? Also, since there are more servos, did they upgrade the ESC/BEC? Thanks for the info.

Diggs
Wings have screws under the bottom.

Generally, on the ESC thing.... let me take a run on it...

We have to be conservative... key point is that all servos are not equal. On an open stock ESC, we have to 'plan' for some of the less current friendly servos that are out there, and rate the ESC for what they are reasonably likely to meet in the field based on what the customer chooses.

In a BNF airplane, we use our own servos, which we know very well (and are fairly optimised for electrics), and test a very specific application (very rigorously, and with some headroom).
It is not unussual that we can use more servos than the 'open stock' general rating, and do it safely and effectively.

Have Fun,
David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:19 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
wow this is going to be amazing.

BTW guys, notice how Horizon hobby never comments on new planes untill the day before they are out!
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:25 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
BTW anyone from horizon MATT OR DAVE!

Do you think with some minor adjustments it will be possible to buy the new Radian pro wing and install it in the older radian?
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:31 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,446 Posts
excellent i knew soon as everything went quiet my end when i mentioned the "Pro" that it was a goer

nothing up this end yet

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:34 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
excellent i knew soon as everything went quiet my end when i mentioned the "Pro" that it was a goer

nothing up this end yet

cheers chuck
im surprised Horizon Hobby representative of Australia!
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:47 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud View Post
im surprised Horizon Hobby representative of Australia!
I wish, naa just a keen PZ flyer, i love my Radian, i grew up learning to fly on my beloved Gentle Lady but when i came back to the hobby after "Having Kids" taking up all my time, the new Foam Electric planes and gliders were out, and i fell in love

the Radian flys just like my old GL and i love flying it, so i'm really looking forward to getting the Pro with it's extra features

cheers chuck
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:48 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
I wish, naa just a keen PZ flyer, i love my Radian, i grew up learning to fly on my beloved Gentle Lady but when i came back to the hobby after "Having Kids" taking up all my time, the new Foam Electric planes and gliders were out, and i fell in love

the Radian flys just like my old GL and i love flying it, so i'm really looking forward to getting the Pro with it's extra features

cheers chuck
dont get the pro because its new!

do this:

Horizon?! Will the radian pro wings work with some modification with the old radian?!

do that!
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:59 PM
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Do we have a metal motor case?

I hope we get some reports and gliding video from Muncie this weekend.

I too wish it would have been bigger, but as AEJR pointed out, it may be impossible to do 3 meters in foam. Just not firm enough.

Also Horizon, what were your goals in designing this plane as opposed to the Radian? Better thermaling? Fly in higher winds? Sloping?
Turtle_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Turtle_Flyer
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:00 PM
Central Ga.
Joined Jun 2004
186 Posts
I can only imagine the smiles on the Horizon guys' faces as they read threads like this, and I don't fault them one bit for it.
Justaflier is offline Find More Posts by Justaflier
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,446 Posts
they are here

Overview

The ParkZone Radian Pro is a perfect follow-on to the successful ParkZone Radian and a long awaited addition to ParkZone's sailplane category. Designed with the experienced sailplane pilot in mind, the Radian Pro comes equipped with 5-channels out of the box, including ailerons for a more precise soaring experience and flaps for more glide path control.

Compared to the original Radian's easy, stress-free Sunday flying, the Radian pro provides a more concentrated flight experience and increased capability, allowing the pilot full roll control, spot landing and precision. The versatility and maneuverability of this plane complete with throttle, rudder, aileron, elevator and flaps allow for the flight performance that you might expect from the traditional competition sailplane without the hassles of having to build one. The Radian Pro's more rigid tail allows for increased maneuverability and precise control, and the new locking retention for the wing provides additional security for more aggressive flying.

Whether you're a current Radian flyer looking for increased performance capabilities or an experienced sailplane pilot looking for something to just fly, the Radian Pro is the answer. Available in both Bind-N-Fly and Plug-N-Play completion levels, this plane can be ready to fly in as little time as takes to charge the battery.

Specs list for PKZ5480
Wingspan 78.5in (2000mm)
Overall Length 45.0 in (1140mm)
Flying Weight 34.6oz (980g)
Motor Size 480 Outrunner Brushless Motor 960kV
CG (center of gravity) 2.75 in (70mm) back from the leading edge of the wing at the root
Prop Size 9.75 x 7.5 Inch Folding Prop
Speed Control E-Flite 30Amp Pro Switch-Mode Brushless ESC

ParkZone Radian Pro (1 min 22 sec)

Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Sep 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM.