HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2010, 02:47 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Parks View Post
This must be the Denny Sumner that I used to race with in Q-15 at the NATS about 100 years ago. Glad to know so many of us are still above ground.
You will love this EF-1 class. It will be a bit like the old Q-15s. As a matter of fact, when we began to create this class the first thing I did was to electrify my old Folkerts Q-15. Only difference was the noise.
George
George, It is like old home week...yes the same Denny...I think we first raced against each other at Lake Charles in 79 (1979!). Racing kind of died in the Michigan/Northern Ohio area. I kind of retired from Racing in 2000. I have been having a lot of fun flying 100% electric. This does look like fun and if we can keep the costs down it may bring a whole new group into the racing ranks. They do look like they would be fun. I sent Jerry a PM.

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2010, 12:00 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,414 Posts
Great looking planes!
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Feb 05, 2010, 11:50 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,867 Posts
Picked up the Nemesis plan from Alien_Tech today. Looks good. Hope to start building when I get home...

I'll probably just use foam for the nose section, turtle decks, etc. since fiblreglass parts are not available yet. I might make a few other minor changes too. The ailerons look a bit large and a bit too inboard for my liking. I'll pass on anything I change and what the result is.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Last edited by DaveSawers; Feb 05, 2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2010, 05:05 AM
FlipF5D
Joined Nov 2007
146 Posts
Nice idea

we tried this two years ago in germany.
At the end we had no success. Not enough pilots and too diffrent race planes made a bad mood.
Our rules,were like that :
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...39#post1182939
it is written in english !

Our aim.to fly 15 rounds with an average speed of 200 km/h.
We mixed the planes with WWII fighters....that was fun

a few pictures:
http://www.koelleteam.de/wordpress/?...=13&gallery=64

small videos:

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/423c8715...noRace-Cologne

P51 MUSTANG VERY LOW and FAST (4 min 4 sec)

wish you all the best for the new class

have fun

so long
Jens

www.koelleteam.de
FlipF5D is offline Find More Posts by FlipF5D
Old Feb 06, 2010, 10:13 AM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSawers View Post
Picked up the Nemesis plan from Alien_Tech today. Looks good. Hope to start building when I get home...

I'll probably just use foam for the nose section, turtle decks, etc. since fiblreglass parts are not available yet. I might make a few other minor changes too. The ailerons look a bit large and a bit too inboard for my liking. I'll pass on anything I change and what the result is.
Nice meeting you yesterday Dave. Good luck with the build and thanks for being a beta tester
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2010, 03:59 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,711 Posts
My 1/8" lite ply didn't arrive yesterday, do I'm cutting test parts from balsa for fit check on the Nemesis.

Won't be long now!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2010, 07:13 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
810 Posts
Any guestimate on airframe/arf costs? with Motor/esc/ ONE battery cost about $100, the airframe ARF needs to be in the $125-150 range so you can have 2 airplanes (always need a backup)
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Feb 06, 2010, 07:15 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
810 Posts
BTW, I am that "OLD sport flyer" you guys keep talking about. Always loved the Controlline speed racing-but got out when it got to be a "money" thing. I miss going fast and turning left-even if it was in a circle..LOL
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Feb 06, 2010, 07:44 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004 View Post
Any guestimate on airframe/arf costs? with Motor/esc/ ONE battery cost about $100, the airframe ARF needs to be in the $125-150 range so you can have 2 airplanes (always need a backup)
Early projections for the Horizon LR1-A are in the $150 range. However you might be surprised to find out that much of the initial testing has been done with a $20 motor and $30 battery with good results. These guys definately shouldn't break the bank.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2010, 08:23 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
Nice meeting you yesterday Dave. Good luck with the build and thanks for being a beta tester
Maybe I'll be the prototype tester, who knows!

Sorry it was such a brief meeting. We've had four long days on the road and another today. My dog's still friends with me though.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 08:53 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner View Post
George, It is like old home week...yes the same Denny...I think we first raced against each other at Lake Charles in 79 (1979!). Racing kind of died in the Michigan/Northern Ohio area. I kind of retired from Racing in 2000. I have been having a lot of fun flying 100% electric. This does look like fun and if we can keep the costs down it may bring a whole new group into the racing ranks. They do look like they would be fun. I sent Jerry a PM.

Denny
I was Racing Q15 at Lake Charles in 1974. That was when the OS Max and Super Tiger 15s were still competitive and the new K&B 15 was really hot. We had a fellow named George Aldrich that helped us kids work on our engines and keep them flying. I didn't make it out of the 1st round, but I had a ball. Marriage, new family, work and the increasing cost of being competiive, took their toll. I really didn't get back into RC until 2000 when all the kids got out of college and I had a little more income.

I looked at the club 40 racing here in Texas, but I'm going more and more electric everday. This looks like something that would work for me.

I'm subscribed and the CC is warmed up and ready for Redman to list the ARF for sale. I want back in.

Do you think John will have the new prototype at SEFF? It would be great to have some racing included in the noontime demos.

Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Feb 07, 2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 02:52 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
I hope you guys are happy with the Pogo. Seems pretty nice for the first commerical answer to this event.

I will say after reading the proposed rules, I hope the committe that is writing this sits down and educates themselves a bit more regarding the currently available ESC's out there. Not allowing you to use the BEC on board and requiring a separate battery pack to power the radio system is pointless. All it does in add extra weight to a model that definitely does not need it. There are solid solutions for this that have been available for a number of years.

Yes it will be at SEFF.

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Feb 07, 2010, 03:25 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,711 Posts
Agreed totally. It doesn't make any sense to me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman View Post
I hope you guys are happy with the Pogo. Seems pretty nice for the first commerical answer to this event.

I will say after reading the proposed rules, I hope the committe that is writing this sits down and educates themselves a bit more regarding the currently available ESC's out there. Not allowing you to use the BEC on board and requiring a separate battery pack to power the radio system is pointless. All it does in add extra weight to a model that definitely does not need it. There are solid solutions for this that have been available for a number of years.

Yes it will be at SEFF.

John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2010, 08:22 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,867 Posts
There are other issues too that need to be changed (like using limiters instead of speccing motors). Doubtless the rules will be put straight pretty smartly once things are up and running so I for one can wait till then.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 10:56 PM
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Mar 2007
126 Posts
what size speed control would be good to run with these motors/batterys?
Stevem9 is offline Find More Posts by Stevem9