HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2014, 09:25 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,697 Posts
3D Print Fail:

Actually, they probably didn't follow recommendations for scanning... laser scanners do better with non-specular flat white finishes... some folks just dust their parts with talc. But for sure, as with the die, the scanner doesn't see the top of the part. Laborious stitching of scans from multiple angles is needed.

Still, a good lesson: Beware the hype!

Watch this 3D scanner-printer fail (1 min 12 sec)
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2014, 09:31 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
There are only two problems with that idea HEWLITT-PACKARD.......
Soldiers HP Printer Problem Now Resolved No Thanks to HP (1 min 3 sec)
H-P paid to have this video off of youtube. but by the time they did it had gone viral.
Foo
fooman2008 is online now Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Oct 31, 2014, 09:37 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,212 Posts
Thats some video!
I guess HP has to do better if this has gone viral!
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Oct 31, 2014, 09:42 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
They paid the Sergeant 100k to take it off of youtube, three weeks later (after being shared and reposted innumerable times) it was on Leno! ROFL
Foo
fooman2008 is online now Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Nov 03, 2014, 07:44 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,697 Posts
Form1+ 3D SLA laser Printer

I've mentioned before how I'm drooling over the Form1+ printer at my local TechShop. Why? This PT boat windshield with support build structure:
> At TechShop, cost me $2.42. And a 2-1/2 hour build time.
> The same part at Shapeways, in Frosted Ultra Detail? $40.50. Plus $5 shipping. And two weeks.

So that's about 43 reasons right there to get excited!

But it's got its problems... many parts fail in this printer, due to the part support requirements during the build.
> A multijet part at Shapeways ("Frosted Ultra Detail") is surrounded by a soft wax during the build, and the part always build OK. Just with that goopy wax all over it.
> With the Form1+ SLA process, the build is in a liquid pool, with no support of fragile bits during the build. Except from little buttress supports that get built along with the part. But if you design those supports incorrectly, the build fails... a flimsy cantilevered section (shown below in blue) can break off mid-build, leaving nothing for the next layer to build on. The failed area grows in size, leaving a big chunk missing from the part.

So it's back to the tube to redesign my support strategy, a task that I don't need to do with my Shapeways parts.
Last edited by patmat2350; Nov 13, 2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 08:29 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx29l9 View Post

Had lunch yesterday with a Shapeways rep at a "meet up" event... she confirmed that they'll have one of these new HP printers, maybe one of the first houses anywhere to try it, sometime next year. Should be interesting...