SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:45 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
That rc biplane is a hoot. I seem to recall someone doing that successfully around here with one of the crummy one piece wing jobs. I've seen a picture of about a 6 foot scale up of an AJ Interceptor, with markings, as a slope glider. It appeared to have the fuselage thickness scaled up too.

10 or 20 years ago, I was out flying rc and found a Sleek Streek in a tree. It had been there for quite some time, so I didn't think I'd find the owner. Anyway, I took it home, took the warps out, and souped it up per the "Hey Kid" series. Pretty good flyer, but much more fragile.

I flew Sleek Streeks a lot as a kid. They seemed to be the best flyers among the stuff at the local stores. When the wings broke I'd just rubber band a card to the fuselage to keep it from spinning. As I recall, it would fly straight up, at least for a few feet.

Does anyone remember a line of Testor's foam profile models that were kind of scale, of jets? I had one that had some wing sweep. I think it was supposed to be an A-6. Flew pretty much like other dime store gliders, except that sometimes, when it stalled, it would spin.

I also recall a profile foam B-52 catapult glider that flew very well until the nose snapped off. I don't know who made it.

Next step was the Sig Thermal Dart, a good flyer that is still available, though now the wood weighs twice as much.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:56 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,757 Posts
Hey Linc

I've got one of the Testor's foamies- an F-86. If you want it, I'll bring it up to Winthrop on the 29th.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:05 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
[QUOTE=lincoln;17054619]
Does anyone remember a line of Testor's foam profile models that were kind of scale, of jets? I had one that had some wing sweep. I think it was supposed to be an A-6. Flew pretty much like other dime store gliders, except that sometimes, when it stalled, it would spin.

I also recall a profile foam B-52 catapult glider that flew very well until the nose snapped off. I don't know who made it.

Lincoln,
This ad from 1966 pretty much shows what Testors had to offer in the lines of balsa and foam RTF stuff. I never considered them a real power player in this area. It was around this time that they began to transition from balsa to foam. The assembled Go-Hi is balsa, but the Go-Hi and Dart in the sleeves are foam.
Pactra produced a foam profile B-52 in the 60's under their AeroFlex line.
I hope this helps.-dano
dano47 is offline Find More Posts by dano47
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:24 AM
United States, CA, Lompoc
Joined Aug 2004
26 Posts
As I was embarking on building myself the first modified Sleek Streek I've built in at least 15 years, I thought I'd try refreshing my memory by google searching for the "Hey Kid, do you wanna build a model airplane" instructions which had provided me the insight towards building my first great flying rubber powered model by modifying a Sleek Streek. Failing (so far) in finding that original instruction article, I did happen upon this RCgroups thread.

I just so happen to have an original set of the sheet balsa flying surfaces which I had happened to save due to the quality of balsa being quite sub-standard than the previous Sleek Streeks i had sucessfully modified to satisfactory flying rubber models.

The modification instructions called for elongating the fuselage by slicing the stock fuselage along it's length from the interior end of the stabilizer's slot, then cutting a short piece of from the lower half of the sliced fuselage and gluing the piece to the nose so the stock prop thrust bearing could be used and mounted at the tip, then gluing the remaining balsa right onto the bottom of the tail (using the original horizontal stabilizer's angle) where the Horz and verticle tail surfaces would be glued directly... (I can't recall the exact length of this extended tail boom, which was why I wanted to find the "Hey kid..." article...)

Underchamber was to be added to the wing by gluing at least two shaped balsa ribs per left and right wing halfs which would then be glued together with dihedral. Then the wing would be glued directly to the fuselage with the addition of some empanage (leading edge of the wing raised slightly)

Aside from an elongated length of rubber to ensure longer propeller pulls to longer higher than stock pulls to higher altitude, greater flight distance, and longer flight times, that was about all there was to making a Sleek Streek perform 10 to 100 times better than the best stock flight times I ever experienced from even the highest quality balsa Sleek Streeks I had ever had... Oh, I almost forgot... leave the landing gear off...

Flying RC since 1975, and from my experiences from when I used to always have a Sleek Streek at my disposal because I used to keep them hanging from my vehicle's sun visor, I remember coming to the conclusion that there was nothing that really comapared to the numbers of people who would approach me about a model I happened to be flying than these rubber powered little Sleek Streeks! I theorized that it had to be because of how everyone could relate to having owned or been around someone who had once owned and played with these little balsa novelty toys... People would just be so fascinated (understandably) at how well they flew and probably because of that relatable factor, would feel comfortable or inspired enough to actually approach me to get a close look and usually engage me in conversation... I also remember how hard it used to be to not always give away my Sleek Streek to every kid I'd have to look at and understand exactly the look on the kids face knowing how badly that kid was wishing he could have such a great flying little slab of sheet balsa and rubber band... (This is bringing back fond memories)

Also these were the greatest Christmas and birthday presents I have ever been so fortunate to present to children... I remember one kids mom telling me about how her son treated my present like it was the only present he had gotten that Christmas and how he had flown it and flown and flown it until he climbed up on their rooftop to fly it and it flew away!

God, I could go on and on with modified Sleek Streek stories.. like flying them inside movie theaters and doing 10 revolutions scraping the celing while casting a Sleek Streek shadow against the screen before hitting the dang curtained walls... LOL!

Or how I finally broke the ice with a gentleman, the late Mr. Ron Doig, (who I believe held some AMA FF championship or records...) who I was able to enjoy fond model conversations after he asked me why I was buying so many Sleek Streek packages... I regret not hitting him up when he told me he wanted to give me some kits from his stash.. Like a Top Kick... To think of how much I could have learned from him.. (Sigh)

Enough of my sentimental blah blah passions... I hope someone enjoys this scan of my Sleek Streek sheet parts..

And remember... there is only one thing better than owning something great... and that is when you can share your something with someone who would really appreciate it...! Good flying ya'll...!
(hopefully my pic upload works...!)
MusashiG is offline Find More Posts by MusashiG
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Aug 2004
26 Posts
Sleek Streek Balsa Sheet parts scan...
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:42 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Sweet. Have not seen those wings in many moons! Here is a Balsa plane I modified using 2 channel AH gear.

This Balsa Glider plane is called the "Jet Stream"
Jetstream Glider with AA electronics (1 min 47 sec)

This one called the "Sky Rover" is a RB balsa\Foam hybrid FF plane that I converted to 2 channel r\c (AH gear) This one is my favorite..

Sky Rover (1 min 22 sec)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Jan 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
I have an old American Junior model called the X-10, which is very tiny and uses the wing clip. It flies great for being 50 some years. The wing clips were first produced by American Junior before the compan moved to Bend, Orgeron.
Sebastian M is offline Find More Posts by Sebastian M
Last edited by Sebastian M; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:45 PM
United States, OH, Middletown
Joined Dec 2011
66 Posts
Ditto New Millenium Sleek Streek. Also google Cloud Tramp.
ScratchBuildrSAM is offline Find More Posts by ScratchBuildrSAM
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:08 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Here's the "Hey, kid. Ya wanna build a model airplane?" article MusashiG was looking for a while back.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Aug 2004
26 Posts
That's it..!
... Isn't it strange how strange it is to take one glance at a magazine article that you have not seen in 25 or so years, and realize how intimately familiar you are with it..?

I imagine that is one of the reasons why I love browsing through the classifieds on rcgroups and eBay...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:03 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusashiG View Post
That's it..!
... Isn't it strange how strange it is to take one glance at a magazine article that you have not seen in 25 or so years, and realize how intimately familiar you are with it..?

I imagine that is one of the reasons why I love browsing through the classifieds on rcgroups and eBay...
From your reaction I'm gonna guess that you hadn't found it already.

You're welcome,

g
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:44 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,023 Posts
Hi,

Here is the "Testor's page" of a 1959 Swedish catalogue...

"Little Dipper" was a great flyer....!

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:09 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
When I was a wee little boy in the early 60's, if I met the milk man early Saturday morning, he would GIVE me a Sleek Streek! I think at the time they were going for 10-15 cents.
fleaz is offline Find More Posts by fleaz
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:28 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
I remember back in the 60's it was a quarter for a Sleek Streek and 15 cents for a Skeeter.

g
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:14 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
You're probably right. By the time I had money to spend, they were certainly a quarter.
fleaz is offline Find More Posts by fleaz