HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2014, 07:29 PM
United States, IL, Highland Park
Joined Apr 2011
11 Posts
Yeah, I might have to try that. Just not as confident or skilled as you, Steve (I can already see some little part flying across the floor somewhere, never to be found again...). On a positive note, I nailed the spinner gap
brick1 is offline Find More Posts by brick1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2014, 07:55 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2009
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Hog View Post
Ken, subsonic planes, is also the only place you can get a lightened one so if your going with the Motrolfly don't try to get any where else.
Hi Hog what do you mean by lighten version ?
Also should do I need any stand off if so what size.?
Also what about the size of the spinner.?
fearlesshugo is offline Find More Posts by fearlesshugo
Last edited by fearlesshugo; Nov 21, 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 09:04 PM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlesshugo View Post
Hi Hog what do you mean by lighten version ?
He removes the rear can of the motor and uss and aluminum adapter for a fiberglass x mount. I believe this mod also helps keep a cool motor cooler.
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Nov 21, 2014, 09:23 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2009
78 Posts
Thanks Jk, By any chance you would know the weight difference with and without the fiberglass x mount.?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 09:42 PM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
2,002 Posts
No, but someone around here might.
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:05 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,440 Posts
The weight difference isn't that much, 10 grams or so. The main benefit is that the mounting holes of the motor will line up with the factory blind nuts and make it easier to mount with the lightened version. I've had both and used them on slicks. Either one work fine.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Nov 22, 2014, 01:46 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Just not comfortable removing the can, esp if Ken recommends avoiding that.
Ken doesn't recommend against removing this, he recommends against removing the motor mount/backplate. Removing the can is super simple. Just remove the collar from the shaft on the back and the can slides right off. It is the easiest way to mount this motor.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:43 AM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2012
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
Ken doesn't recommend against removing this, he recommends against removing the motor mount/backplate. Removing the can is super simple. Just remove the collar from the shaft on the back and the can slides right off. It is the easiest way to mount this motor.
I think you have that backwards for the 3615, the backplate doesn't even come attached. Some of his larger motors he doesn't recommend removing the back plate on. If you have good Allen drivers removing the can is easiest, but running the screws backwards through the blind nuts and using lock nuts on the mounting plate works fine too. I don't remember if the slick kit came with spacers or not but you really only need them big enough to run the motor wires out the bottom without them scrubbing.
Brush Hog is offline Find More Posts by Brush Hog
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:21 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2009
78 Posts
Can someone tell me what size stand off I need the 5mm or 10mm.?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:05 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,440 Posts
The ones that come with the plane work fine for the Motrolfly or the Hacker. They are 1/4" long.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:42 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2009
78 Posts
Thanks for the enlightment Ryan saved me 3 bucks lolz hahahahaha.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:47 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Any chance you have info on the hex ball driver you used? I have a set of ball hex allen wrenches but they don't come even close to getting at the required angle (they work at up to 25 degree angle, but i'd have to be at least 45 deg to get at the bolts without hitting the motor can.... googled around and 25 deg seems to be typical for rounded tip drivers). So I painstakingly used needle nose pliers to slooooowly tighten each bolt gripping the outside.....and of course now I want to rotate the motor so the wires fall better for my ESC install. Just not comfortable removing the can, esp if Ken recommends avoiding that. Wish I just did what Johnnyrocco did and bolted from the other side (didn't have right size nuts on hand and got lazy). Was hoping to maiden this weekend but delayed b/c one of my 5085's isn't centering properly so have to send it back, so I'll use the extra time to get the wiring exactly how I want it. I CAN'T wait until spring to fly this machine, and I'm in Chicago so it may be a chilly maiden...
I used a Duratrax ball end driver to mount the Motrofly. Its a hobby brand tool, I think I got it at RC Planet. It will easily go to a 45 degree angle.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee