SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:06 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
Electric Angle Scratch Build

Has anyone built the Electric Angle from the plans and article in Model Airplane News last April?

Well I've order a pile of balsa and goodies and will give it a try. I plan to do all sorts of mods, including scaling up to a 40" wing, adding a bit of dihedral and trying to use a plastic canopy to improve the looks.

If the mountain models militia finds me from Parkflyers: yes, I still plan to build the Switchback, but I'm in the mood for a little engineering and love the idea of larger plane.

I think this plane might be fun, and I'm impressed it could fly at all as outfitted in the article:direct drive, nicads, heavy construction,heavy servos, heavy covering etc. I'll use lithiums, HS55's, solite, and the new mp jet outrunner. (Actually I may plug in my speed 400 with gearbox for the maiden just to work out the bugs before risking the spendy motor.) Anyway, comments would certainly be welcome -Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:51 AM
This is fun stuff
New Jersey
Joined Aug 2004
22 Posts
When I first did the Electric Angle, I was quite new to electrics and I thought being able to fly with a $10.00 direct drive Speed 400 motor was pretty neat. The plane did fly well but the flight time was short. With a lot more experience, I have now refitted the Electric Angle with a GWS 350 gearbox and a HiMaxx 2015-4100 brushless motor, a Phoenix 25 ESC, and a 3 cell 1500 mah LiPo battery pack. I tried the GWS D gears and the B gears, and I like the B gearing with a 10-8 prop best. I'm still flying the plane, along with a bunch of sheet foam jobs, and I like it. Your mods sound good. Enjoy. Dick S.
1957chev is offline Find More Posts by 1957chev
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:42 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
Thanks for your reply Dick. Nice to hear from the designer!
Got started last night and I'm very happy to have found this plane. I was looking for a simple looking low wing which wasn't in the form of a laser cut kit. I've found that stick and sheet planes are so much more durable and easy to repair, (which may come in handy since this is my first low wing.) And most of all I love the part of this hobby which requires a little engineering and invention.
I'm considering keeping the landing gear off and belly land, especially if this helps the performance. Even though one of my favorite things is takeoffs and landings, I have other planes for that. Does anyone have suggestions to prevent prop and motor damage? Is the rubber band propsaver enough or should I get a folding prop with a wide yoke? I'll be landing in a weed field more than the ball field grass. I'm also using that heavy monocote stuff for the wing undersides since it's so much more cut resistant.

Another mod I'm considering is a rubber band attached wing, though I don't see that in many low wing planes. I like the bit of forgiveness it provides in a poor landing.

A final question for those in the know. Is one sub micro aileron servo(HS 55) stong enough for a 40" wingspan, 20 oz plane? Would two be better or maybe one HS 81?

Thanks in advance. -Steve
Old Sep 02, 2004, 05:41 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
It's flying great! I've made about 3 flights on my 40" version of the angle and it's a blast to fly. The main mods are as follows: 1" dihedral added, stick built fuse half covereed with 1/16 balsa instead of solid constuction, 1/4" ply firewall for motor mount instead of the gasser side mounts , and used a mig jet plastic canopy for looks. Sort of looks like the switchback with mustang covering--silver solite, blue trim and airforce decals. Weighs about 17 oz which might be too light for this size wing. Thanks to Dick for the fun plans. -Steve
Old Oct 10, 2004, 09:58 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
I've posted some pictures of this plane over in Parkflyers. I'm very pleased with the plane and hope others will give it a try. -Steve