HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
United States, TN, Martin
Joined Apr 2013
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeRC View Post
As for the Yaw. Triple check your motor pads for level/square. After I bent one of my pads during an unplanned landing, I noticed one motor not 'truly flat'. It caused a hard yaw. These FCs do a lot for the 'not quite exact' frames we build. But they can't always do it all.

What KK2 version and Flash version do you run?
The only pads I have are where I flattened out the PVC with a board after heating them. They all "appear" to be level, but how does one actually find out? Should I take all the motors off, and basically put a level on top of the motor mount? Eyeballing them, they all look level.

With regard to the FC, I'm running

HW Ver.2.1
Firmware 1.9s1
Steveis

One thing that I do notice when working on it. If I have it standing on 2 of the 4 booms, the top two, any top two seem to wiggle given enough shake. I'm wondering if I have a bit too much play between them? I think the wood I'm using for the platform isn't thick enough and/or too long and narrow in design.
SayCheeze is offline Find More Posts by SayCheeze
Last edited by SayCheeze; Yesterday at 09:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jun 2014
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeRC View Post
For some reason I'm not getting email notifications any more. Need to check the settings.

Stewart, My balancer is as wide as the balancer shaft and the thickness of one magnet on each end. I did add another magnet behind the inside ones. The aluminum is sandwiched between two magnets. It stays put this way. Those magnets you linked should work.

What you need are called nylock half nuts They are half the height of regular nuts. Any decent nut/bolt/ shop should carry them.
Ok, thanks, I got it, though I can't tell where this other magnet is behind the inside ones. I like that you are using metal making it easier to attach the magnets, as opposed to glue on wood.

As for those nuts, no, they are outlawed here in the U.S. Seriously , though once I added to the search nylock half nuts m5 left hand thread availability greatly diminishes. Did many derivatives. There are some in the U.K, Aus, maybe China. Like I think I said earlier my mistake was with dedicated cw and ccw motors I goofed and took the left hand threaded shafts as the ccw motors. The nuts should be opposite (as you most likely already know) the spin of the motor. My next attempt is to use some regular hex nuts but with some friction between the hub and the mount like this one.

I'm hoping otherwise I need to undo my wiring and switch 2 wires around on every motor / esc. Not the worse thing but if it can be avoided I'm up for it.
stuartambient is offline Find More Posts by stuartambient
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jun 2014
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayCheeze View Post

One thing that I do notice when working on it. If I have it standing on 2 of the 4 booms, the top two, any top two seem to wiggle given enough shake. I'm wondering if I have a bit too much play between them? It's not like they made of wet noodles, but still I can move them.
You have the booms screwed in at their end, maybe you need more conduit toward the center of the main board for better distribution of the boom weight.
stuartambient is offline Find More Posts by stuartambient
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Joined Apr 2013
788 Posts
Well, I'm starting over. I've got it tore down. I'm going to make a new platform today. Thicker / stubby'r and not so long in the length. While I have the booms off, I'm going to put them in a vice and see if I can see any of the motor mount area that needs to be heated back up, and twisted.

If I can't get version 2 to fly, I'll probably move to a kit.

To add insult to injury, I have two prop adapters I can't get to loosen up. I used some lock tight on them, and now they just want to twist on the shaft. I have them off, but I can't get them to release from the props..

Not going well today.
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
Hubsan X4 Graduate-DIY 350 NwB
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2014
260 Posts
Stewart, yea the left hand threads add difficulty. I found out they are also called 'jam nuts' too. I run all normal thread shafts with nylocks and do not have any issues. These adaptors came with the motors but I have found them seperately too. The washer ID is so big its useless so I replaced it with a thick nylon washer and normal height nylocks. I break props before they fly off.

The magnets are sandwiching the aluminum frame. Magnet > frame > magnet . Balancer shaft > magnet > frame > magnet

Having spent a saturday balancing three sets of props down to the hub. I have decided not to balance props until my skills get to the point where I'm not beaking them at my present frequency. Between getting it in the air, and the first few flights, I ate up those three sets pretty quick.

Cheeze, If I may, and am not to late, I would make two larger plates and increase the bolt hole dimension to 2". Keep the same arm length. This way more of the arm is in contact, now, 'between' two plates, adding rigidity to the arms. As for as making sure the pads are square, I check that they are in the same plane as the arms. Easier to do with a motor on it and use the shaft as a square. Your deck bolt holes will have the most influence on the pads being square.

PVC arms 'flex' a bit with force no matter what you do, so it will never be rock solid. But the should not 'wiggle' or shake.
WannaBeRC is offline Find More Posts by WannaBeRC
Last edited by WannaBeRC; Yesterday at 06:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM
Hubsan X4 Graduate-DIY 350 NwB
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2014
260 Posts
Frank, I haven't built it yet. That's a pic of the original from two years ago. It's a 200% Shrediquette MM6 frame. I'm guessing he had them cut or cut them himself as he has CAD drawings for the frame. (from a two year old thread on RCGroups) I have not heard back from him. But I will ask.

Google does come up with many variations.
WannaBeRC is offline Find More Posts by WannaBeRC
Last edited by WannaBeRC; Yesterday at 06:24 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Joined Apr 2013
788 Posts
Thanks WannaB

I could hold one boom and take the apposing boom, and move it fairly easily. The wood platform really wasn't that thick, which was designed that way for weight. Also, it was cut like a rectangle too, which probably didn't help either.

I'm going to use two pieces of new wood. Going to cut them tomorrow. I plan on sandwhiching the booms between the two pieces...

I really think the motor mounts "flattened" PVC ends are fairly level. I only saw one right after I built it, being tilted some. I heated that one up, and turned it.

We'll see...

Thanks for the info...