SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Discussion
Some questions about painting with craft store acrylics

I am hoping to get to the point in the next week or so that I can start painting a Pat Tritle Supercub I've been working on for the past month and a half. It's covered with silver Coverlite. I'm planning on using some Ceramcote acrylics, specifically metallic silver and either navy or ultra blue.

Since I don't have an airbrush or compressor, I picked up a PreVal Sprayer at the hardware store. $7 for a isobutane powered propellant unit that a paint jar screws into the bottom of. From videos I've seen on YouTube, it looks like it's capable of giving a pretty good finish, and the company claims it can spray nearly anything as long as it's properly thinned.

So, what is the preferred method of thinning. From reading here, I've seen that either Windex or Future Floor Polish, or a combination of both, seem to be pretty popular, so I'm looking for more opinions on both of these. I've seen comments that some paints need to be strained, but I think this suggestion was mostly for those using latex house paint?

Since the acrylics dry flat, and I'm looking for a more satin finish, I'm looking for options for a clearcoat, which will cover the vinyl decals I'll order from Callie. I have a can of Polycrylic Satin, so I was thinking I could just thin that a bit with some water and spray it on for a clear. Would this be flexible enough for covering what is basically tissue covering?
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:46 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,160 Posts
I've sprayed some of the craft store acrylics and clear coated with automotive urethane paint without problems.

I thinned with water. I know some have used windsheild washer fluid but to me that would change the color of the paint. Maybe some alcohol & water would work. I think the alcohol just makes it dry a bit faster.

The polycrilic should be fine for a clear coat.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:30 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,107 Posts
For thinning, I use just plain old tap water. Up to 50-50 depending on the thickness of the paint.

My advice would be to make some test pieces and try out different things before you start on the plane. You have a steep learning curve as to application techniques and material usage and best to make your mistakes on test pieces. Polycrylic is good.

Walmart sells many colors (flat and gloss) of acrylic paint in their craft dept.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy