HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:07 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Sep 2010
33 Posts
Dust shoe progress...

I wanted to give a quick update about what I am working on. Last weekend, I hit up the aluminum store and grabbed some 3/8" thick drops of 6061 plate to play with. I still have to get some tooling for aluminum before I start letting the chips fly!

Anyway, here is what I am currently thinking for the dust shoe... I'll post the geometry if it works out.

The shoe is made up of three layers, two screw together and the last layer that holds the brush is attached with magnets for easy access to the collet. The middle layer redirects the router air-flow out the front of the shoe.

One of the things I learned from the dust shoe for my MDF machine is that if the brush has a straight side this can sort of pole-vault over geometry. If all sides of the brush are curved, this sort of eases the brush over cuts. This shape also allows for rotation of the brush to the side for the most efficient collection while surfacing. I also bought an LED light to play with some task lighting ideas.

I hope I can get around to cutting it out next week!

Cheers,

Brian Oltrogge
Grünblau Design Studio
Grunblau is offline Find More Posts by Grunblau
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:47 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,539 Posts
You do such nice work-
Doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:43 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Sep 2010
33 Posts
_

Oooooh Christmasy!

Updates to follow...

Cheers!
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
539 Posts
Beautiful! Can't wait to see what this shoe looks like once fully assembled. Although it's not too hard to visualize given your lifelike renderings. Very cool design.

-John
jbarnhardt is offline Find More Posts by jbarnhardt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest creation...
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:33 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunblau View Post
_
Oooooh Christmasy!
Nice!

Dumb question, but what keeps the cut-out parts stuck to the backing board & not move around during milling? It doesn't look like that perforated (vaccum?) type I see sometimes & looks like your outer clamps are form the rectangular material blank.
ptxman is online now Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:14 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Sep 2010
33 Posts
In case you haven't guessed already from the picture, I milled out the dust shoe. I have never milled aluminum before and this was a great learning experience for me!

First thing I learned was that you should almost always CLIMB mill aluminum. This seemed counter intuitive to me so, at the last minute, I changed all of my tool paths to conventional.

Good thing I did, otherwise, I wouldn't have such pretty stock /sarcasm

Here you can see the difference in the finish between the part and the stock.

Not that big of a deal this time as I intended to grain the surface anyway... BTW the chamfer was done with the InGroove 90 degree insert...

I was hoping to compare the Amana endmill with the Onsrud one from ebay, but the Amana one didn't survive the first plunge. My settings were 10 IPM plunge and 80 IPM cut with the router set at 13500 RPM and a 20 degree ramp in to a .05" depth of cut for that particular path. Any advice would be appreciated. I think the aluminum is T-6061

After that, I changed all of my settings from:

Plunge = 10 IPM to 5 IPM
Cut = 80 IPM to 60 IPM
Spindle = 13500 to 16500
DOC = .05" << I might try being a little less aggressive in the future...

Just to be more safe, as I figured I could more easily combat heat.

Here are the pieces for the dust shoe removed from the stock... The little pockets are for magnets. I will have to fixture the last piece to do these pockets on the other side as well.

Here is a mock up of all of the pieces together... Try to ignore the blue tape. I think I am going to wrap the upper inch with black tape and epoxy the first 1/2" or so....

I will also be adding the extra layer into the assembly. I have all of the magnets and the brush, I just have to find the time to tap holes and glue in the brush.

On to the video! With this video, I sort of documented the whole thing as I enjoy it when people do the same. Sort of in the 'myfordboy' style. I might do a 'talkie' at some point, but this was unobtrusive, just doing what I would do anyway... Hope you enjoy!

Platform CNC Dust Shoe, Part One (13 min 26 sec)

Also for anyone that is interested, I have started the Pre Order for Platform kits!

Click below for more info!!!
http://www.grunblau.com/PlatformCNC.htm

That's it for now!

Cheers,

Brian Oltrogge
Grünblau Design Studio
Last edited by Grunblau; Nov 10, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:22 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Sep 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman View Post
Nice!

Dumb question, but what keeps the cut-out parts stuck to the backing board & not move around during milling? It doesn't look like that perforated (vaccum?) type I see sometimes & looks like your outer clamps are form the rectangular material blank.
Mostly the screws, but I also used tabs on a lot of the parts...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:20 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Sep 2010
33 Posts
Bill of Materials

I finished compiling the Bill of Materials for the Platform CNC kit. This PDF is complete with links and prices so just clicking on the description will take you to the item on the vendor website. This document represents the additional extrusions, electronics and various hardware that I sourced to build the CNC. This document would be helpful to people considering the kit or just as an informative document for the costs involved in building a CNC.

Right click, save as...

Bill of Materials

Cheers!

Brian Oltrogge
Grünblau Design Studio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:17 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,488 Posts
Wow that's not bad. Any plans to offer complete kits?
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:33 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Sep 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
Wow that's not bad. Any plans to offer complete kits?
Thanks! That is a very good question as this was my goal if I ever was to offer a kit. When I started looking into it, two things became immediately apparent...

- If I was to ship full kits, I would need to have everything shipped first to me, just to turn around and ship it elsewhere, effectively doubling shipping costs and transit time. By just publishing all of my vendor information, it allows people to either use my sources or find a cheaper alternative supplier (and hopefully let the rest of us know). Once the BOM is finalized, my hope is that it is really just a 3-4 shop stop.

- The other thing I realized is that although there are a lot of people that might be able to invest $4k in a machine at the drop of a hat. I know that I could not be one of them, no matter how great of a deal. When building both of my machines, I had to spread out the costs, purchasing items when I could afford them.

I will be building a RTR machine for a guy that is local so that I can make detailed how to assemble series of videos should the Pre-Order go through.

Hope this helps!

Brian
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:29 AM
Florida, Tampa
Joined Jul 2004
44 Posts
Very nice job Brian! I have a large CNC, but am in the market for a smaller footprint model. Yours looks well thought of, but I really wish it was able to have a slightly larger cutting footprint since most of the stock that I can obtain is 36x48. From your specs I see it is 30x48.
Another question I had was do you have any issues with material that is cut getting stuck to your v-groove wheels and on the guide. When you machined the aluminum there were pieces scattered along the wheel guides. Maybe a cover to protect those ways? Just curious and really wish it was slightly bigger..
Very nice otherwise.
Tom
thebaconbits is offline Find More Posts by thebaconbits
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:32 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Sep 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaconbits View Post
Another question I had was do you have any issues with material that is cut getting stuck to your v-groove wheels and on the guide. When you machined the aluminum there were pieces scattered along the wheel guides. Maybe a cover to protect those ways? Just curious and really wish it was slightly bigger..
Very nice otherwise.
Tom
Thank you for your comments! The benefit of V groove wheels are described on Bishop Wisecarver website...

Quote:
...The once patented 90º vee edge guide wheel design creates a velocity gradient due to the range of contact diameters of the wheel. With the inner diameter traveling at a lower velocity than the outer, debris is naturally drawn outward. This velocity gradient causes a constant sweeping action, thus cleaning debris from the track...
This seams to work pretty well, the chips are pushed down, away from the path of travel...

That being said, when I started thinking about milling aluminum, I wanted to convert a cake pan to mill in. All of the chips hover less than an 1" or 2" above the surface so this would catch a lot of these. Another thing I have considered, is using an angle instead of the strap along the edges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaconbits View Post
I have a large CNC, but am in the market for a smaller footprint model. Yours looks well thought of, but I really wish it was able to have a slightly larger cutting footprint since most of the stock that I can obtain is 36x48. From your specs I see it is 30x48.
I think cutting area is one of the more difficult things to consider when starting to design a machine.. I settled on 30" wide as most stock I consider is 4'X8'- so with two cuts, I have (4) 24X48" I also plan to play around around with Corian and this comes 30" wide. I think the ideal size to handle 36X48 would be about 4'X5' so you would have 6" of 'elbow room' on all sides. Of course, if you have the space, you might as well go full 4'X8' but this sacrifices rigidity. It's a tough choice...

Cheers,

Brian
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:10 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,474 Posts
How's the first run progressing Brian ?
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member