She is sweet looking bob ! I cant wait to see her on the water. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:08 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Very nice Bob, the detail job will make her look awesome in flight, love the sound of the 4 engines, never did more than a twin here.

It looks like the starboard side would be stronger, have this issue with my Puddle Monster, half throttle is still even but when I push up the starboard motor gets much more power and I'm afraid of the result in flight, specially because I plan to teach my son flying with it.

keep us posted

hi Joe
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:08 AM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
I think he may have that countered, he has reverse rotation on two props, very nice Bob, hope to make it to one of the float fly's this year and see this bird fly, still working on getting that house (damned short sale crap holding it up) but when I do I'll be inviting you to the pond.

Bruce
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:00 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,712 Posts
Congratulations **neons**Bob, what an achievement and a very different shape from the one we are used to seeing. Good luck with the maiden.
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:53 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,919 Posts
That really is looking smart Bob. All the best on maiden flight day - looking forward to some great video.

Trevor
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:41 AM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
725 Posts
Looks great Bob! Good thing the grass was dry during your runup or she would have taken off. Looks like she wants to fly! Good luck on the maiden.

John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:01 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,863 Posts
Thanks to all for watching.
Joe, Rawy,Mike,John,Trevor,Bruce.
It is always fun to build. It is equal or maybe better than flying to me as it uses a lot of my time in a positive way.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:28 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,863 Posts
I worked on the plane yesterday and plenty more items were done. I made a spring mounted loop range finder antenna which serves double duty as a lift for the top hatch. Then 2 teardrop antennas that the real Mars had nearby with the antenna were made also. Then I oversprayed all the bottom panel lines to soften them up and not have a harsh look. Next the panels on the floats and hangers were airbrushed and they look great now. I have only the tail numbers and a semi flat clear spray to do and the plane will be 100% done.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:00 PM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Bob
just catching up...

what a fantastic model.... that is damned fine sir! and what a great noise!

sorry..... what a greeeeaaat noise.... (one for each engine!)

i ran my Sunderland for the first time last week!... same noise!

how were the motors for sync? any sign of one motor picking up quicker/slower than the others?

i had one lazy motor on an inboard (actually a lazy esc) so am replacing both inboards with another new pair of escs..

really looking forward to seeing the video of your Mars take flight.... everything is crossed here for you

David
how much is offline Find More Posts by how much
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:19 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,863 Posts
David,
Thanks. You will notice that the throttles on my plane are all in sync. I use 1 ESC red controller wire for all 4 motors. Look at the paper that came with your ESC's an read Automatic throttle setup. I believe on mine it said turn on the transmitter to full throttle. Then Plug the ESC Battery in and listen to the beeps as the paper shows. Move the throttle to idle all the way down and there should be 4 beeps. 1 beep for each motor and 1 additional beep to say it is ready.

I then disconnect the batteries and turn the transmitter off. Then I turn the transmitter on again and plug the battery in place. I get 4 beeps and a single beep. It is ready to go. It only needs to be done once. They should be synced. I use Futaba. A JR- DX may require a different method but similar.

All the Mars electronics are in place and I have to trim the ailerons and then I want to mix the ailerons with the rudder somewhat to make smoother lazy turns and bank. The rudder stick will be left alone.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:49 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
She is looking really sweet Bob! Good luck on the maiden.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:36 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,863 Posts
J.
Thanks again. When the maiden happens there will be a video posted here.
**Neons** Bob
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Wow...

John
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:31 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,183 Posts
I just don't know how you build these Amazing flying boats so fast? simply amazing work Bob!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tron recognizer quadcopter
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:41 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,863 Posts
You are right. I get involved daily construction with many hours during the cold slow months and things just have a way about blossoming into a new creation. You know, time flies when we are having fun. Building is fun to me as well as flying. I am awstruck when I see all those airliners in your shop like a one man Henry Ford production. I feel the same about your planes. They just keep coming. Nice work by the way.
**Neons** Bob