HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:53 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Discussion
Battery Backer - second battery back-up

Years ago in UK - a company came up with the Battery Backer ... a simple small box that you could feed your Rx battery through. A second small pack could be connected as well so in event that first main pack failed - you had the second one immediately click in to keep you flying and land.

Nowadays we read about BEC's on ESC's failing if pushed by number of servos, hard flying etc.

Has anyone used such a backer in these times ? The weight is only 35gr

(sorry about the photo - but my main digi camera is in my bags lost by the airline on my return few days ago ... )

I'm seriously considering fitting it to my machine - not that I have problems, but as a safeguard ....

Can anyone think of a reason it would not work ?
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:58 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
There are many such devices and arangements used howerver this really is more of a Rdio question and IMO belongs here

http://www.rcgroups.com/radios-135/
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:06 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,449 Posts
Doing a search on "Battery Backer" finds some discussion. Primarily used in large scale planes and sailplanes. Doesn't look very widely used but when ya need one, it might be a good idea to prevent the loss of a high $$ aircraft.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:05 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
There are many such devices and arangements used howerver this really is more of a Rdio question and IMO belongs here

http://www.rcgroups.com/radios-135/
Each to their own ... It sits on the dividing line IMHO. It is neither more "radio" forum than this one ....

If you are a Moderator ... which I don't think you are ... then it's only your opinion ... and it's up to a Mod to move it if they feel so inclined.

Does it REALLY matter ??
Last edited by solentlife; Dec 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:09 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Doing a search on "Battery Backer" finds some discussion. Primarily used in large scale planes and sailplanes. Doesn't look very widely used but when ya need one, it might be a good idea to prevent the loss of a high $$ aircraft.

mw
In the 80's when NiCD's were usually 500mAH and to get more capacity meant a large heavy pack - these were used to add a small 150 - 250mAH pack behind.

Yes - mostly used by larger models especially in the early days of LMA rules being compiled.

I have it sitting here and it occurred to me as I also have the 250mAH pack ...

Now the question is can the "Backer" work with an ESC"s BEC ... as it's designed for nominal 4.8v packs ..... ?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 05:15 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
I use a backer in my large electric models, having almost been bitten once. What I do is use an appropriate BEC device as one input to it and a receiver pack of some sort as the other supply. These days, I tend to favour 2 x A123 cells for the Rx pack.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:14 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
I use a backer in my large electric models, having almost been bitten once. What I do is use an appropriate BEC device as one input to it and a receiver pack of some sort as the other supply. These days, I tend to favour 2 x A123 cells for the Rx pack.
Excellent ... that's what I was hoping to hear ... that ESC through one is OK ... and I was considering my 250mAH light pack as back-up - which would give me more than enough to do circuits to land.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:51 PM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
You need to be sure that you keep all voltages and currents within the specifications of your battery backer. Also, you need some device that enables you to check the state of your backup pack before each flight - no good taking off with one that's flat!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 06:34 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Is it anything more than a couple of plugs/sockets and diodes?
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:22 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Those that I use are Powerboxes, so they are a bit more than 'a couple of plugs/sockets and diodes', as you put it. I know many people will say to keep it simple and that a Powerbox is just another thing to go wrong, but I've had no problems with what I use and like the extra facilities that these offer. There's plenty of choice out there if you look in the right places.