HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:35 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
There was a guy on the 60/64 MXS thread that not only had one in his plane but also posted a video. It's worth a thousand words. He had a Rocket 4120-465 with an 85A ESC. Don't remember what prop, but I would PM him and find out how the motor held up. It was on the original MXS thread and it was not early in the thread. It may be easier to find by going to youtube and searching for it....

Okay, I just did that and here it is... and it was a 16x8 prop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQyEogqCv2U
OK, that's a 64" and I want it for a 60" so it should be more than fine. The weight for that motor is pretty much the same as the recommended torque motor. I don't put a lot of flights on planes so it should be good for a while at least... Thanks!
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:38 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I have used a few rocket series motors, and haven't had any problems with them...up to a 48" EPP foam plane. I did have to reverse the shaft on the smaller motors for my application on one of my planes. Wasn't hard, and worked out very well.
cool. i've heard good things about them but never hear of anyone actually flying them Same thing with dual sky, never hear of anyone using them much. Dualsky BTW happens to be a really good motor. I got 2 for half price from 2dogrc on black friday weekend. I should have bought a bigger one but didn't know I was getting this plane.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:49 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,095 Posts
I had three ExceedRC motors... the Monster series. Had a 46, 110, and 160. The 46 and the 110 are still in the airplanes even though we don't fly them anymore... a Sig we use as a camera platform, and a H9 Frenzy that was my first electric conversion from a Saito 125.

The 160 threw magnets from day-one. They were supposed to be the E-flite knock-offs, I guess. I think the Tucon or the Rockets are the second generation of the Monster. A 465Kv with a 16x8 on 6S is certainly a good power setup, so if the motor holds up, it may be an inexpensive option. If not, a second motor means you should have bought the Motrolfly or the Torque from the beginning. This is why I don't do cheap motors anymore. They are never cheap, and you never get over the trust thing. It's like you are always waiting for the time that they go bad. We have been pounding the Motrolfly 480 for a year now.

Anyway, he had Hitec 225's all the way around so that's about as inexpensive as you can get. I have a 100A ESC just sitting around already connected to a 6v Motrolfly U-BEC and about a half dozen 16x8 Xoars sitting here. So some extension and I can have another 60 in the air at a really low cost.

I'll put the price list on the Budget thread when I have time to work it up.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:53 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,095 Posts
Okay, I just heard back from the guy who shot the video and he said he had no problems with the motor so far with over 100 flights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:11 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,485 Posts
One of the planes using a rocket series motor, a flying wing by crash test hobbies, has had several hundred flights, dozens of crashes, and still works very well. Rear mounted with o-ring holding prop on but still, great motor for the money. (But on the MXS, I use the torque).
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:51 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,095 Posts
Considering the items I have, I can put another 60 together for $408.11 plus shipping. Anyone remember what the shipping was? I was looking for my invoice then remembered that Frank ordered three of them at the same time and I ordered the three DM4315-480's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:19 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
Considering the items I have, I can put another 60 together for $408.11 plus shipping. Anyone remember what the shipping was? I was looking for my invoice then remembered that Frank ordered three of them at the same time and I ordered the three DM4315-480's.
From Georgia to Nashville was around $30 for the 60's...
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:37 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,095 Posts
Thanx.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
From Georgia to Nashville was around $30 for the 60's...
Lucky... Cost me about $85 for shipping
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:46 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
soo... im nearly finished with the build! only things left is to velcro the small 2s rx battery, finish dremeling spinner (cant choose between carbon and blue stock spinner lol) and cut out bottom cooling hole ('s)...im holding my breath for maiden on tuesday!

i ran into another problem.... when i take off landing gear wheels off the landing gear, they spin completely freely... but when they are on the landing gear and in pants, they start binding... i might still maiden like that (if as you guys say, it is a bit similar to 3dhs 57" i shouldnt have problems nailing a soft landings)...

im actually thinking about 0.5" bigger after market wheels... what would be a nice 2.5" aftermarket wheels? i recently noticed secraft has some wheels...

but i think, maiden and at least 10 flights should be under the belt before thinking about blinging the plane...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:55 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,095 Posts
I use collars to space the wheels off the inside of the wheel pants, which is usually where they bind. I would free them up before the maiden. It will take you another 5 minutes to get it right.

There are usually extra collars in the kit, and I always have some old collars laying around in the parts draw. They work well even if they don't have the set screw in them because you can just let them spin. They will give you at least another 6 mm and that's usually enough to center the wheel better in the pants.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:01 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
thats a nice idea! thanks!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:56 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
sooo...this morning powered up for a throw setting and ran into surprise... im quite happy with tail, im using longest dubro arms there with second innermost hole on rudder and im hitting elevator, im using second outermost hole on elevator and getting around 65-70* with middle rate at 45* where im also happy, but on aelerons im using 7235 hitec with second longest dubro arm on outermost hole... im getting bevel to bevel travel at 80% dual rate, but they seemweak and jittery... im really thinking of swapping out for a shortest dubro servo arms and going with 100-120% dual rates for around 30* travel....

what servo arms and how much EPA are you guys running on those 5245? 7235 'should' be able to take more, no?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:37 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,013 Posts
I've not heard of anyone using the 7235.

Most are using the 5245 or the 7245. On my 7245 I use the second longest arm and get great results.
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
I've not heard of anyone using the 7235.

Most are using the 5245 or the 7245. On my 7245 I use the second longest arm and get great results.
+1
But unless you increase resolution like you are... I think it is highly possible you will experience blowback with the 7235s on high speed rolls.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes