SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:01 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
And if I remember correctly you can only access it via the stick inputs. You can't run it through the PC. Or is that another feature I'm thinking of?
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:01 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,397 Posts
You can access it from both methods. The PC method is necessary for setting up PPM,

but it is a good practice to run it via switch method.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
And if I remember correctly you can only access it via the stick inputs. You can't run it through the PC. Or is that another feature I'm thinking of?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:38 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Frsky D8R-XP with Ebay RSSI DAC

Well, I think I have gotten this combination to report a useable RSSI value on Eagle Tree. I did so many different things I am not sure what really made it work so I will report my findings in order.

First I fitted the RSSI DAC to my RX and set up RSSI according to the ET directions. After running the servo wizard I was able to get it to display a signal but the numbers kind of flashed randomly from high to low values.

I then ordered a Dpcav RSSI buffer and installed it according to the directions. I soldered the positive to the recommended #2 terminal the the ground to ground. I fired it up and ran the servo wizard. I did the bit where yo turn off the radio and then turn it on. The numbers still moved around a lot, to the point where they were pretty much meaningless.

I then moved the positive to the #1 terminal and repeated the set up. They seemed a little better but still bounced around.

Then I repeated the setup, except this time instead of turning off the radio, I pushed in the range test button and moved the radio to a location where I was getting one or two beeps. I entered "next" and turned on the radio.

Set up in this way the RSSI seemed to behave pretty well. When I had the radio at full signal it gave a reading or 100. When pushed the range test button and moved the radio to the one/two beep area I got an RSSI of about 30.

Then I went for a flight. The RSSI signal was 100 when I took off. Out at about 600 feet it was around 70 - 75 or so to the best of my recollection, but once in a while it dropped as low as 50. I was surprised the signal got that low. It could be an aberation or it could be real. I am flying a DJI hex and I am thinking that during turns the antennas are partially blocked by the landing gear and batteries hung on the legs of the landing gear. I will experiment with that. It is pretty darn cold out and I have to lug my gear in and out of the house to keep the goggles warm to prevent fogging and flying over snow is a bit of a white out experience so I may not get that done today.

Because the last thing that I did, namely reducing power rather than turning the radio off, is what made it finally work, I can not say for sure that it would not have worked without the Dpcav buffer but since it is all installed and working I am going to leave it as it is. I can't hurt.

The numbers reported back do bounce around a bit. Not too bad, but it might be nice if ET did a little reprogramming to report back some type of rolling average over a user set time period, say every second or three seconds or something like that. The numbers were just as stable flying as when the machine was sitting in my living room which was nice.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:55 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Well, I think I have gotten this combination to report a useable RSSI value on Eagle Tree. I did so many different things I am not sure what really made it work so I will report my findings in order.

First I fitted the RSSI DAC to my RX and set up RSSI according to the ET directions. After running the servo wizard I was able to get it to display a signal but the numbers kind of flashed randomly from high to low values.

I then ordered a Dpcav RSSI buffer and installed it according to the directions. I soldered the positive to the recommended #2 terminal the the ground to ground. I fired it up and ran the servo wizard. I did the bit where yo turn off the radio and then turn it on. The numbers still moved around a lot, to the point where they were pretty much meaningless.

I then moved the positive to the #1 terminal and repeated the set up. They seemed a little better but still bounced around.

Then I repeated the setup, except this time instead of turning off the radio, I pushed in the range test button and moved the radio to a location where I was getting one or two beeps. I entered "next" and turned on the radio.

Set up in this way the RSSI seemed to behave pretty well. When I had the radio at full signal it gave a reading or 100. When pushed the range test button and moved the radio to the one/two beep area I got an RSSI of about 30.

Then I went for a flight. The RSSI signal was 100 when I took off. Out at about 600 feet it was around 70 - 75 or so to the best of my recollection, but once in a while it dropped as low as 50. I was surprised the signal got that low. It could be an aberation or it could be real. I am flying a DJI hex and I am thinking that during turns the antennas are partially blocked by the landing gear and batteries hung on the legs of the landing gear. I will experiment with that. It is pretty darn cold out and I have to lug my gear in and out of the house to keep the goggles warm to prevent fogging and flying over snow is a bit of a white out experience so I may not get that done today.

Because the last thing that I did, namely reducing power rather than turning the radio off, is what made it finally work, I can not say for sure that it would not have worked without the Dpcav buffer but since it is all installed and working I am going to leave it as it is. I can't hurt.

The numbers reported back do bounce around a bit. Not too bad, but it might be nice if ET did a little reprogramming to report back some type of rolling average over a user set time period, say every second or three seconds or something like that. The numbers were just as stable flying as when the machine was sitting in my living room which was nice.
That's great info, I'll have to try the part about going to range check mode instead of turning off the tx. Now I remeber what feature you need to do with the sticks. Its the calibration. Did you do the calibration or zero offset or whatever its called? My readings went really crazy after I did that step.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:26 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Did you do the calibration or zero offset or whatever its called? My readings went really crazy after I did that step.
No, I did nothing with the sticks. I just did the Servo Wizard, with radio on range check and beeping twice for "off" and normal on for "on". It "seems" to behave as I would expect in the air, with the signal dropping off as I fly away.

Also, I should mention that at least once somewhere in the middle of the process I forgot to OK out of my changes so I am sure they didn't do anything at whatever stage I was at.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:02 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Following up, the Frsky/RSSI DAC worked great in my range test outdoors today. "Calibrated" as per my report above, I put the radio in range test mode (signal reduced by 1000/range by a factor of 30) and walked away 10 steps at a time. RSSI signal gradually decreased following an exponential decay pattern, in other words it dropped quickly the first few steps and then less quickly for each subsequent 10 steps.

At about 200 feet out the RSSI had dropped to around 10 and the radio was giving 3 beeps. My RX did not go into failsafe and at this distance but I figured it was close.

I did notice that the RSSI signal was very sensitive to the position of the antenna on the radio. Then antennas on my Hex are both pointed down and the machine was located on a wooden bench. The best signal, as expected, was with the antenna pointed up, or in the same plane as my RX antennas. Very large signal drops were observed if the radio antenna was point "at" or at 90 degrees to the RX antenna.

I will need to try to be aware of the way I hold the radio to obtain maximum signal.

I think this is a great tool and it seems to work very well.
Last edited by u2builder; Jan 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Feb 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziz44 View Post
i have AR-8000 reciever and TM1000 telemetry system

this rssi system works with this reciever? if its works how can i setup connections can u help me

i have elogger v4, eagletree osd pro, gps expender, guardian stab.

Can someone answer pls ?
ghostlogger is offline Find More Posts by ghostlogger
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Apr 2013
9 Posts
any one help me w/ my elogger v3 when i connect to usb in pc there's noting happen thers no loading at all like noting happen or noting connected to my pc even just a display of unrecognized devise is noting im using windows 7 ultimate is this windows support my elogger??? or is there any way to connect it also i lost my installer cd of my elogger v3 so i prepare to upgrade to new version any body help me.
pdr_kkeng is offline Find More Posts by pdr_kkeng
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:48 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdr_kkeng View Post
any one help me w/ my elogger v3 when i connect to usb in pc there's noting happen thers no loading at all like noting happen or noting connected to my pc even just a display of unrecognized devise is noting im using windows 7 ultimate is this windows support my elogger??? or is there any way to connect it also i lost my installer cd of my elogger v3 so i prepare to upgrade to new version any body help me.
I'm not sure, but I think this is what is happenning

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1127

Thint1 is a solid source for help in these areas

-Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:24 AM
Joined Apr 2013
9 Posts
sir help if this elogger v3 support windows 7 os??
Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:33 AM
Joined Apr 2013
9 Posts
i already fine the right rssi in my rx b downloading the ic data sheet i already have a right rssi out that connected to the middle pin of temp 1 i already set to rssi unit the my prob is i can't config the display to show the rssi in the screen beco's i loss my supply cd so i download the new version but i cannot connect my logger to the pc im using windows 7
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:13 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
hey guys, Ill be using this http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....For-EzUHF-RSSI) with my eagle tree, does the osd want 0-3.3 volts or 0-5 volts swing ? thanks
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:52 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
hey guys, Ill be using this http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....For-EzUHF-RSSI) with my eagle tree, does the osd want 0-3.3 volts or 0-5 volts swing ? thanks
I do not know if it can handle 0-5V swing, but I can assure you that RSSI works fine with my Chainlink that has 0-3.3V (buffered)

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Apr 28, 2013, 05:18 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
thanks stavros, ill set it to 3.3. when u say buffered, do i need to add a resistor or something/>
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Apr 29, 2013, 05:36 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
You are welcome elliott000

I do not have a ezUHF, so I can not help you from personal experience, but:
A search in this thread with keywords "ezuhf" yields the posts quoted below. These describe the situation with ezUHF. With chainlink, you do not need such converter.

Regards,
Stavros

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar2048 View Post
The EZUHF have a digital RSSI output only, so it's not usable as is with the ET OSD PRO.

This is a complex conversion, but you can achieve it with some electronic and programing knowledge.

You'll be needing an arduino pro mini board which can do the job for a couple of bucks and you will need an RSSI Buffer like this one :

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=263&page=1

for pluggin it to the ET OSD PRO which does not offer this possibility as a standard. It use a hack on the temp1 port.

Then you'll have to find a way to convert the digital output signal from the EZUHF to an analog signal. I don't know what is the datagram of the PPM signal, so you'll have to find this by yourself.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
Just got my converter working that i got from mictronics it is working great with my Ezuhf and eagletree osd yipeee !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias