HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:33 PM
Joined Jan 2013
527 Posts
Discussion
Good transmitter choices

I'm thinking of getting a better transmitter , I currenty have a Hisky x6s but I'm thinking on the lines of a devo 7e , i have fairly small hands so i'm not keen on anything too big and i'm looking at a modest budget of 50-70 or so .i currently fly hisky heli's , i have a skyartec wasp nano cpx on it's way and i'm planning on getting the hcp100s and maybe hcp60 when they come out , any suggestions/recommendations welcome.
dadio is offline Find More Posts by dadio
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2014, 07:42 AM
United States, MI, Wakefield
Joined Jun 2004
16 Posts
7E or 7

I have read that the Devo 7 has better range than the 7E. So if you plan on eventually getting a bigger bird go with the 7. There are a lot of threads about the 2 versions to check out so that you can make your own decision.
kwolters is offline Find More Posts by kwolters
Old Sep 01, 2014, 07:53 AM
Fueled by coffee & LiPo
United States, FL, Venice
Joined Apr 2014
38 Posts
Great question! I built and modded a Devo 7e and I love it. As I improve my skills I can now see that it has some limits, although I will probably fly with it for a couple years. There are many "pros" to this TX and I will skip them for now. But I wonder if the Devo 10 isn't a better first choice? I think it is an improvement over the 7e if you don't mind a slight step up in price and size.

The 7e has memory limits, so some program features may be limited. It has very limited space for the mods, so once installed you have to carefully place all the parts and antennae -- and it's not entirely clear what layout is optimal. The battery life is good, but not great. The screen is small, and I find it hard to see while I concentrate on my flying. You can't put in a potentiometer -- minor, probably, but I read a lot about gyro compensation...is that a big deal? Lastly, I haven't been to any club events, so I hope this is just paranoia, but everyone else will have a full-size TX...does size matter?

I have learned a lot on my 7e since I started using it, and it has been a great start for me. I just think if I was choosing now, I would probably go with the 10.
JW57RC is online now Find More Posts by JW57RC
Old Sep 01, 2014, 07:57 AM
Joined May 2014
71 Posts
Devo7e is a very good choice. You can mod it with deviation and fly almost all micro helis and quads. If your budget allows than devo 10 is better but also larger. Someone who owns a devo 7 can confirm it but I don't think it supports deviation so will be limited to walkera helis.
helibg is offline Find More Posts by helibg
Old Sep 01, 2014, 08:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
527 Posts
Thank's guy's I'll have to trawl through some thread's I guess.
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:38 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,169 Posts
Devo7e is fine if you plan on staying small. Many say this is fine and many times it is. I would Never Ever fly my V450D01 V2 with devo 7e. I have couple Devo 7's but pain. Devo 10 is bang for buck best heli TX out there. Devo 8s I would love to have with touch screen .
Devo 7e I have seen for $68.00 from some Vendors. T-mart has Super c/p w Devo 7e for $119.95. Devo 10 is less than DX6i. If you are good with puters and patient Devo 7 might be good. I have been flying one for two yeras and no issues. DX6i I have for year and half very good also.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 01, 2014, 12:44 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2014
15 Posts
I just got my devo 7e a couple days ago and I love it! Compared to the v912 tx size wise, it's more comfortable for me to hold.

I don't own any walkera birds, so I pretty much modded it when I got it. Currently flying my v911 pro and hfp80fs with it. I've seen you can do a range mod on it if you plan on flying walkera birds. I believe it enables full power transmission on the walkera module (150mw). Otherwise, if you're flying other protocols, just get the modules with the range you need. One thing to note is it only has two 2 position switches. You can add more by modding, but I wish I would have come with at least one more switch for d/r
haxordotcom is offline Find More Posts by haxordotcom
Old Sep 01, 2014, 02:20 PM
Joined Aug 2014
31 Posts
Damn. I'm contemplating an X6s for Hisky/WLToys. I understand expo was fixed, and an upgrade coming for later Hisky.
May I ask for a brief list of gripes? Or is it just size? Ta.
Phecda is online now Find More Posts by Phecda
Old Sep 01, 2014, 04:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
527 Posts
The x6s is fine ,mine has expo but unfortunately it wont be compatible with the new hcp100s and I want something that can fly non whisky birds , otherwise its fine.
Old Sep 03, 2014, 11:14 PM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
516 Posts
Devo 10
You'll need to flash it with Deviation FW and install the nrf module for HiSKY. After that you'll never look back
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
Old Sep 04, 2014, 12:13 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,169 Posts
If you are not God's gift to the world, you can not walk on water. go to bathroom and it stinks Devo 10 is best Heli TX out there. Motals like them and flashed can fly Sperctum and others out there.
Now if you fly $1000.00 450's/ $1500.00 500's/ $2000.00 550's etc you may need $2000.00-TX since you need not buy toilet paper. Nor shoes as you walk on water etc.
Seriously Walkera has made a very good bang for bucks TX. Forget toy Devo 7e.
Its ok for small micros but if you want to fly c/p's.. later you will want to go bigger. Its no bull bigger is better. Want it to fly like a bigger heli..get a bigger heli. I like little guys to but they Will never fly like a big bird.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 04, 2014, 05:20 AM
Joined Jan 2013
527 Posts
I'm not a club member and there's very limited space locally for big bird's ,its either got to fly in my garden or my local park where there's children and dog's , I'm 44 know my own mind and have no interest in larger heli's ,part of the fascination is the tiny size if micro's ,so I really don't need a transmitter with more than 100 yards/meters range ,I think that the choice is really between the devo 7e or the devo 10 .
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:06 PM
Joined Aug 2014
31 Posts
My v922/HiSky is God's gift to the world, it can walk on water, and it never needs the bathroom.
I am astounded at the quality for the price of some low-end Tx of full-size style even stock WLToys for v922. But it's not programmable. Or some may not have enough switches. The other thing is stick/potentiometer quality, and buying a higher-end Tx of the same make does not necessarily improve this aspect. I come from long-term Futaba usage, FF7's and a 9VAP which was their top-end. Lots more bells and whistles, probably never used.
And I never saw the point of 7-point curves, PCM2048 or even PCM1024 for that matter, even on the largest heli's.
Of course, one never regrets buying higher-end than will ever be usefully used. But to me, an X6s or H6 seems more than enough for HiSky and it's doubtfull a small heli will fly better with a megabuck Tx. Excluding compatibility with other models with in-built receivers of course.

Edit: after 250+ flights or 20+ hours of use, WLToys stock v922 Tx is starting to get a bit flakey at min throttle stick. Only. Cheap-as just to buy another one, but I might as well upgrade Tx to programmable, still cheap-as for (dare I say it) a cheap-as helicopter.
Phecda is online now Find More Posts by Phecda
Last edited by Phecda; Sep 05, 2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2014, 11:29 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,225 Posts
Get the Devo10 the 7e is a nice small transmitter for sure but the Devo10 is definitely the better transmitter for not much more money.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Sep 05, 2014, 06:01 AM
Joined Jan 2013
527 Posts
it's about twice the money , i could get the devo 7e and a walkera heli for the price of the devo 10 on it's own ...........