SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2013, 08:38 PM
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined May 2013
48 Posts
Question
Newbie that's confused about radios

Hi all, the only rc plane I have is the champ RTF version. But I am honestly TIRED of it. More or less I want to try AP, but looking for a new plane has been a huge problem. Not of the plane quality, but the radio system it uses.

Question 1: Will my Champ RTF's radio be able to bind any of the planes I want to buy? (below)
Question 2: If I buy a Dx6i will I be able to bind it to any plane(or at least the ones below) that I buy?
Question 3: If I can't does that mean I have to buy a different transmitter for every type of plane that uses a different system?
Question 4: If I don't, I believe that I can move around radio systems, but is it possible to take the radio system out of my champ (if there even is one) and install it on any plane I may buy in the future and use it that way?

I'm considering an easy glider pro or a nine eagles skyclimber - and depending on feedback I'll know what to get thanks to you kind people
MilNevets is offline Find More Posts by MilNevets
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2013, 08:49 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,167 Posts

Maybe you can transplant it to a different plane but that's going to be a lot of work.

Transmitters (TX) are always paired with Receivers (RX), and the receivers have several channels, each with three pins that you can connect to the motor/servos. One thing about hobby RC, especially planes, is that the electronics are standardized and modular.

RC Electronics Basics How To ( Tutorial) (8 min 12 sec)

They're more expensive but if anything breaks, you can buy replacement parts from any vendor and they'll work. Technically, your DX6i, 9X, Devo, Futaba, etc. will work with any plane, but that's mainly because you're putting in their receivers so of course they're compatible.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2013, 08:52 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,380 Posts
1) The Champ transmitter is very low power. Don't use it for anything bigger than your Champ.

2) A DX6i will fly your Champ farther away than you could ever hope to see it. You MUST have a DSM2 or DSMX receiver to bind to the DX6i. Most of the brands use different, incompatible protocols. You will always need to select a receiver that matches your transmitter.

3) Basically, yes. Buy a transmitter that will fit your needs. You may need to upgrade the electronics in the plane.

4) The Champ brick is a common item that many of us scratch-builders use in our small models. The Champ brick is only good for airplanes up to about 20" span or so (varies with plane type). I have two nephews building a J-3 Cub a little bigger than a Champ and will be using the Champ brick and motor to fly it. (They wore out their Champ).

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 07, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined May 2013
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post

Maybe you can transplant it to a different plane but that's going to be a lot of work.

Transmitters (TX) are always paired with Receivers (RX), and the receivers have several channels, each with three pins that you can connect to the motor/servos. One thing about hobby RC, especially planes, is that the electronics are standardized and modular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uOr0nMv0-8

They're more expensive but if anything breaks, you can buy replacement parts from any vendor and they'll work. Technically, your DX6i, 9X, Devo, Futaba, etc. will work with any plane, but that's mainly because you're putting in their receivers so of course they're compatible.
So say I bought the RTF nine eagles sky climber. I could take out the receiver in that plane and put it in another and I would be able to fly it, correct?
Old May 07, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilNevets View Post
So say I bought the RTF nine eagles sky climber. I could take out the receiver in that plane and put it in another and I would be able to fly it, correct?
Not sure what that plane looks like, but if you can fit the parts into the plane and the servos are strong enough to handle the surfaces without breaking, then sure. More likely tho, it won't work as well since these things are made specifically for a certain model. If you want to be able to use any electronics on any plane, then you'll have to shell out for hobby grade gear.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2013, 10:31 PM
Joined May 2013
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Not sure what that plane looks like, but if you can fit the parts into the plane and the servos are strong enough to handle the surfaces without breaking, then sure. More likely tho, it won't work as well since these things are made specifically for a certain model. If you want to be able to use any electronics on any plane, then you'll have to shell out for hobby grade gear.
So let's say I bought that sky climber rtf and I have its entire system.
So way later in the future I want to buy, idk a warbird, and I buy a Transmitter ready or receiver ready version. Does that mean I only have to plug/switch in my receiver (as shown in that video you showed me) and make sure it connects to the associated transmitter or do I have to take the entirety of the system with it?
Old May 07, 2013, 11:11 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,269 Posts
The Sky Climber is a 2m glider that comes with a 4-channel radio that could certainly be used in another model of say 30-48" span. However, it seems to be a very basic radio with no programming capability. Moreover, it's not clear whether additional receivers would be available (servos are no problem).

The transmitter won't work with models other than those from Nine Eagles. You could swap the receiver into another type of receiver-ready model.

While there's nothing at all wrong with the idea of reusing a radio from an RTF model, this is not the way to get serious about RC. What you need is a programmable radio such as the DX6i that has a range of readily available receivers (both original and by other manufacturers), a decent manual and is strongly supported on RC Groups when you need help.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old May 07, 2013, 11:35 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilNevets View Post
So let's say I bought that sky climber rtf and I have its entire system.
So way later in the future I want to buy, idk a warbird, and I buy a Transmitter ready or receiver ready version. Does that mean I only have to plug/switch in my receiver (as shown in that video you showed me) and make sure it connects to the associated transmitter or do I have to take the entirety of the system with it?
Yes, you'll have to take the entire system and put it on another plane. But really, if you're gonna go that route, you may as well buy the hobby parts.

A 2500kv motor, 20A esc, three 9g servos, a receiver, and a 2200mah battery, and you can put it on any plane you want. If you're concerned about the cost of the radio, you can go buy a 9X and receiver for under $60. You can have a hobby grade plane (AXN) with a programmable radio for about $120.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2013, 12:06 AM
Joined May 2013
48 Posts
Yes, while these dx6i systems (that are so complicated to me) are good in the long run as I have heard, I'm actually unsure of where I might head next.

Right now, I'm probably going to fly mostly micro warbirds and at most 2 sailplanes, I only wanted a larger stable plane to take AP

Besides, I am a student with practically no income... (we'll see in a few years)
What do you guys suggest? Should I get these parts? Or should I wait on it?