HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:32 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
Discussion
Treasure Hunt...

I have been trying to re-arrange the garage, in order to be able to store more (what else?) airplanes.

In doing so, I had the opportunity to open some boxes that have not been looked at for years.

This is what I found:

There were some things that I expected to find, but did not (there are a few more boxes I can't get to, at the moment). There were some things I found that I did not expect to find, or remember that I had (TD-2, Dark Green Spitfire, newer version Cox Sky Raider, Wen Mac Bonanza, Cox Rivets). I had remembered crashing and destroying my original P-26, but found it was in one piece (I have found broken parts in other boxes, so I must have repaired is some 30-40 years ago and forgotten.

Still Missing in action are, at least two more Testors P-38's, at least a partial BD-5, green Cox P-40, and a few other things. Also a collection of 1/2 A motors is in there, somewhere...

The Wen Mac P-39 in the back row, still has the ring type gun site in tact (of all the ones I have acquired, this is the only one like this). The Cox Corsairs, both dk blue, are molded in different shades of blue. The Yellow Testors Sopwith Camel and the Red Albatross, were sold via box tops from serial (the normal colors were O.D. for the Camel and Black and White for the Albatross), the two Cox "Wings" aircraft are odd, in that they are transition shots from one color of plastic to another-you can see the two different colors swirled in them, the green Stuka is missing the rudder, but there was a broken rudder and a new rudder in the box with it. Lots of things to go through and lots of cleaning to do.

The Cox Combat Mustang is new in the box. There is a second one that is sealed (and will remain sealed). The Wen Mac Cutlass, Turbojet, and Flying Wing are brand new, and will remain so.

If I can find an engine, a landing gear, and a firewall, I could fly the TD-1.

The Cox Mini-Stunt Super .020 and the Testors Zero in soaking right now-they should fly again!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Last edited by Ah Clem; Apr 25, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Wow! That's the best collection I've ever seen!
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I know the TD 1, TD 3 and TD 4. What the heck is a TD 2?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
tigerflyer,

Maybe I got it wrong-it might be a TD-4 (old brain does not always work-I got confused on the numbers).

It is a Cox plastic profile plane held together with rubber bands.

You would think I would be able to count to for after all these years...

I found 40 plastic RTF's today, still more to go...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
tigerflyer,

Maybe I got it wrong-it might be a TD-4 (old brain does not always work-I got confused on the numbers).

It is a Cox plastic profile plane held together with rubber bands.

You would think I would be able to count to for after all these years...

I found 40 plastic RTF's today, still more to go...

Oh, yes! My first good flying RTF was a TD 4. Had the "Cox Kids" in the cockpit. Not that many care, but I think comparing flight characteristics between the TD 4 and the PT 19 would prove interesting.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:11 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,316 Posts
eBay could provide tons of funds for real nice Stunt and Scale models, Mr. President!
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:27 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,056 Posts
Wow, AC, I'm impressed!

Wait - I don't see an K&B Aurora B-25! That's the one I lusted for as a kid!

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I've looked several times, and I can't see your TD 4 or the Cox Kids in the cockpit. Now, some trivia for you. Who or what was "The Cox Kids"?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
" I don't see an K&B Aurora B-25! That's the one I lusted for as a kid!"

I have one, it is in the garage. I have been careful not to handle it much, but the chrome is coming off of the top of the nose, anyway.

"eBay could provide tons of funds for real nice Stunt and Scale models, Mr. President!"

I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus!

"I've looked several times, and I can't see your TD 4 or the Cox Kids in the cockpit. Now, some trivia for you. Who or what was "The Cox Kids"? "

I have no idea who the Cox Kids were-there is a boy on one side, and a girl on the other.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Aye! Yes, those are "The Cox Kids." Perhaps in the TD 4 instructions or on the box, reference was made to "The Cox Kids"
Yellow and red,,I think most had a blue fuselage and yellow wing and elevator.
Here's another piece of obscure trivia. What kind of box did the TD 4 come in? Clue, I've never seen another like it! I remember that plane CLEARLY! The front of the fuselage articulates into 2 or 3 positions? If memory serves 1 position was "beginner" and another was "stunt"? Was there a third position, and what was it labeled?
Last edited by tigreflyer; Jan 31, 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Look at the elevator on that TD4! Outstanding! Mucho, mucho area with no stabilator-my kinda bird!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I'd lose the landing gear, drill the bellcrank to allow huge elevator movement, lose the spinner and replace with a nice light Babe Bee screw and washer, dial in a primo prop, use a HC head with at least 40% nitro and figure out away to mount an external surge tank for later-That TD 4 looks like it'd out fly a PT 19 to me! What do you think?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:16 AM
Joined Mar 2005
3,335 Posts
I agree-the TD-4 looks like it would fly much better than the PT-19.

Although I will probably fly it, I won't be modifying it.

It needs to stay in its stock configuration, for the collection, and in case my son wants to sell it some day.

I try to keep things as stock as possible, the only exception being the P-39 I fly fairly regularly. It got a Testors engine to replace the very early Wen Mac-the Wen Mac ran well, but did not have much power. I have five or six of the P-39's, so one was expendable to be modified.

Oddly enough, I cannot remember when or where I acquired the TD-4. Someone probably brought it to me in the hobby shop I worked in, in the early 1980's. It has not seen the light of day in decades (most of these airplanes have been packed away about that long).

I have the motor apart for the Mini Stunt Super .020 right now. The tank was glued together with congealed castor oil. It is soaking in denatured alcohol right now.

Did you have any more information on the Cox Kids?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:56 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
Yellow and red,,I think most had a blue fuselage and yellow wing and elevator.

Here's another piece of obscure trivia. What kind of box did the TD 4 come in? Clue, I've never seen another like it!
One of them had a box that came apart and went back together inside out, with a graphic print of a 1930s-1940s small town airport hangar on the inside of the box.
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:57 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
327 Posts
Now why cant find a box like that at a garage sale?? Some lady say she is selling all her husbands old airplane crap! Would that make for a great day!
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears