SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:49 PM
United States, CA, Industry
Joined Jan 2011
592 Posts
Hey Daughty50,
I'm sorry to here about that! I forwarded your input to our R&D Department. I'm glad there wasn't too much damage to the Blazer. Thanks for letting us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtry50 View Post
I was enjoying the Blazer this week-end. This is really a fun flyer, especially with the sport wing. If only the wing would stay on. On my third flight of the day and at a point where the plane was in LEVEL flight, the wing came off. Off course the fuse came down like a lawn dart. On the plus side, there wasn't as much damage as you might think. On the minus side, the wing came off because the plastic dowels in the wing came unglued. Upon closer inspection, it appears that there wasn't much glue placed at the factory on this critical area. If you have a Blazer, be sure and test the plastic inserts for the wing dowels. To be safe, I would pop these off and re-glue them using epoxy. Better yet, I would replace them with the correct sized wooden dowels, glued into the wing. The photo isn't great but you can see where both of the dowels have pulled out, this is what the wing looked like when we picked it up off the field. The fuse wasn't damaged too badly but the nose gear is broken and the motor shaft is bent.
Nitro_Nancy is offline Find More Posts by Nitro_Nancy
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
216 Posts
I need to add, that while the fuse wasn't damaged too badly, there was other damage. The shaft on the brushless motor is bent to badly to repair. Also, the rudder/ nose gear servo was stripped and the nose gear mechanism is pretty much destroyed. I find that lack of glue or no glue is an on going problem with a lot of foam planes coming out of China.
daughtry50 is offline Find More Posts by daughtry50
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:22 PM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,182 Posts
I have had a few planes it looked like they waved the bottle of glue over the plane after it was built and called it good. I have also had one that they must of used 10 ounces of the acrylic hot glue on the plane.

Some things are hard to test. Not sure there is a way to test those attachment points without causing damage?

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:56 PM
Joined Jan 2013
216 Posts
You make a good point about testing for damage. The only thing I can think of is to stress test critical points without doing damage. I checked that connection before the first flight. I don't think that the wing connection dowels are well designed. Not enough surface area to glue and attached in a way and in a location that is not as strong as it could be. This was a manufacturers defect and I will contact NP to see if they will do anything about it, just haven't had time to check with them. Shame too, this was a really nice looking, nice flying airplane.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:18 PM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,182 Posts
Use their web forum. Seems to be the best way to get help.

I was looking at the failure. Hard to test it without doing damage to see if it will fail. You could put a bead of foam ca around the plastic part and hope that did it.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:51 AM
Joined Jan 2013
216 Posts
Customer Service Update

OK, I need to re-visit this. I went on NP site and customer service forum opened a letter requesting service. My request was answered quickly. I was offered another wing and another motor. I decided to take this offer, even though I really felt I should have been sent another plane. I was told that the parts would be coming from the manufacturer. As of today, I have no parts and no explanation as to why I have no parts. I really want to give NP the benefit of the doubt, but they really need to do better than this. As of now, unless I change my mind (again), I will not longer buy from NP. As for me, I will try to buy locally and save shipping costs in the process.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:08 AM
Joined Nov 2011
63 Posts
Hi Guys, don't know this plane yet but was going to buy it. Anybody knows if they fixed these problems in the meanwhile ? I was also thinking about something else. Would it be a good idea to add rubber bands as an extra means of protecting the wings from coming off ? Phil
NoLimitsVideo is offline Find More Posts by NoLimitsVideo