HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Discussion
Tired of the major shipping companies

When did all the shipping companies turn to crap? It used to be UPS was awesome personal service, and then you could always count on FedEx for superior service if you were willing to pay a premium, and now it's just blind luck to get a package on time and in one piece.

I just went through a few hours of stupidity trying to get an overnight delivery of a piece of needed office equipment from FedEx. They claimed they couldn't find my door even though they were standing right at it but refused to knock or ring the bell to confirm the address. Minutes later when I found the notice they left at my door I called FedEx and they told me I'd have to drive 30+ miles one way to go pick it up myself! I told them I'd be happy to meet the truck as it would likely still be close but they said they could only contact the local office, not the truck. Finally the local office called and lied about there being more than one door where I was located (huh?), started blaming me and finally said they would deliver it in a few minutes. So I went out and met the driver, who was surly by now, and when I asked why he didn't knock he said his job wasn't to be a detective.

I know it's not an easy job to deliver packages but when did it go from awesome service to a jerk that won't even knock?
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:41 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
A long time ago, at least around my way. Many years ago, I once watched something fly by the window as I sat in my family room, only to find it was the new LCD panel I had ordered from Dell. The driver not only neglected to knock on the door, he decided that instead of just leaving the package on the porch, he'd toss it about 20 feet into my back yard.

Personally, I think the drivers are being rushed to the point where they no longer care about customer service, just delivering as many packages as they can. Less drivers for the same amount of deliveries.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:56 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,719 Posts
I just sold an ARF kit - 38x8x8, 5lb to NYS. UPS came to ~$22 and change, insured for $150, with signature confirmation. That seemed high, so I checked the post office - $10.20 Priority Mail, insured for $150, with signature confirmation. Those two add on's were less than half the UPS charge for same. I went with USPS, dropped it off Monday morning and the buyer had it Wednesday.

I refer to UPS as GPS of late (gorilla parcel service) . . .
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
All the guy had to do was knock at a door and it would have been easy - it's amazing how much more time people cost themselves by being too thick to do the obvious.

Yeah, I try to use USPS at all times as the other companies have gotten so miserable. Of course USPS is not without issues but the service has stayed constant compared to the alternatives.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:55 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
A long time ago, at least around my way. Many years ago, I once watched something fly by the window as I sat in my family room, only to find it was the new LCD panel I had ordered from Dell. The driver not only neglected to knock on the door, he decided that instead of just leaving the package on the porch, he'd toss it about 20 feet into my back yard.

Personally, I think the drivers are being rushed to the point where they no longer care about customer service, just delivering as many packages as they can. Less drivers for the same amount of deliveries.
Is this your place?
CCTV: Delivery Man Throws Monitor Over Fence (0 min 33 sec)
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:18 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,638 Posts
I spoke with a FedEx guy and he said he used to work for UPS. Decided he wanted to live past 40. They really push those guys hard but pay was better as I recall
bildo baggins is offline Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:01 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
Not excusing what happened, but why did that family order a TV with no way for the delivery man to deliver it. I have a neighbor who has a huge dog. As a result we get delivery people asking "Can we leave it with you". The answer for quite a while has been no.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff