SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:56 AM
Joined Jul 2008
187 Posts
Discussion
retiring my Esky Honey Bee FP (V1) - What's next?

This was my first Heli and it nearly made me gave up on the hobby! I think I bought it 7 years ago now and it took my some time to be able to fly it. But I have absolutely loved it since the first day I was able to properly fly it in the park, after years of hovering...

It ended up with Xtreme canopy, blades 8mm and X380 motor. I don't think there is a stock part of this heli, which is why I loved it, so easy to fix and very cheap. My biggest crash costed me 10 maybe?

However, in the past few days it seems "tired"... Even with a brand new head, blades and X380, the power is not there anymore, it can barely lift off. I guess adding all those Xtreme part does have an effect long term.

I think it served me well and it's time for it to go in the museum (or the spare bedroom ).

So what's next? I'm not interested in 3D so 4CH is what I'm looking for. I love the size as well. I'd like a brushless with 3S so I don't have to change the motor often and I have enough power... I would like this new heli to have the same quality as my Xtreme Honey bee...

Suggestions? Budget not an issue, I'll ask the wife for Christmas
yannc is offline Find More Posts by yannc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:00 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannc View Post
This was my first Heli and it nearly made me gave up on the hobby! I think I bought it 7 years ago now and it took my some time to be able to fly it. But I have absolutely loved it since the first day I was able to properly fly it in the park, after years of hovering...

It ended up with Xtreme canopy, blades 8mm and X380 motor. I don't think there is a stock part of this heli, which is why I loved it, so easy to fix and very cheap. My biggest crash costed me 10 maybe?

However, in the past few days it seems "tired"... Even with a brand new head, blades and X380, the power is not there anymore, it can barely lift off. I guess adding all those Xtreme part does have an effect long term.

I think it served me well and it's time for it to go in the museum (or the spare bedroom ).

So what's next? I'm not interested in 3D so 4CH is what I'm looking for. I love the size as well. I'd like a brushless with 3S so I don't have to change the motor often and I have enough power... I would like this new heli to have the same quality as my Xtreme Honey bee...

There is really nothing equivalent to the HBFP now in size. There is the Walker V200D01 and Ufly which may no longer be produced either. If you would like to stick with this size, I would recommend that you take a look at the Walkera Master CP. Despite being a CP, it should be much easier to fly than the HBFP.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:25 AM
Joined Jul 2008
187 Posts
The Walkera Master CP looks like a very nice piece of kit!
Just so I'm not limiting my options, if I was going to look at something slightly bigger, what's out there?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:40 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Depending on your budget... the only real quality FP bird that's not a self-righting 45 degree flybar, is the multiplex Funcopter. Or, you could get one of the now popular RTF micro quadcopters. But after an HB, any CP bird should really be a piece of cake for you.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:42 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
The MJX toy company makes the F45, which is identical to the HBFP in size. But, it's quite overweight, has poor quality electronics, requires a brushless conversion and has very weak performance that can't be fixed.

Have you checked your batteries? It should not lack power with a new X380.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Jul 2008
187 Posts
I have 5 of them, some are less than a year old (1000mah, 20c). I didn't think they would all lose performance but you bring a good point. I'll get a new one just to try.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
I'd invest in a voltmeter first. I'd be lost without one. I check voltage before and after each flight.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Jul 2008
187 Posts
Good idea. I never check that. I do have a good balance charger and they all charge fine.
I just bought two of those :http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20388

I'll see if it's any better. But it doesn't change the fact that the Walkera Master CP is likely to go on the Christmas list
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
NCPX or Blade 300X.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:06 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
I'd do some more reading before getting to excited over the Master CP. It appears to use the same motor and servos as the V400D02, which are pretty poor quality. In any case, you could fly any heli you have the space for and there are some nice 450 kits arounds.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:11 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannc View Post

Honeybee V2?

It's back in production!!!

It's about the only 300 size FP left that requires skill to fly, and it's apparently an improvement on the V1 variant.

I've never owned a V1 though (I do own the V2), so I'm just reporting what I've read. I'll leave owners of both to share the differences in detail.

Pity you're not ready for a CP as I think you're adequately trained now based on your experience with the Bee.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,225 Posts
I think you should try a cp heli even if you aren't going to fly 3d. If you ever really want to get into some big heli's it's pretty much a necessity.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:25 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,015 Posts
The Walkera UFlyS is the cream of the crop from that era of heli. When combined with the xtreme bell-hiller upgrade kit, it is an absolute joy to fly. 2S brushless with a shaft driven variable pitch tail and an adjustable 3-axis gyro. I love mine!

Only drawback is that they are no longer made, so it may be difficult to find one. Parts seem to be floating around still, but that will get worse over time.

I really hope Walkera makes a new FBL FP heli in this size at some point.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,225 Posts
You sure they are no longer made.....if so there's still a lot of them being sold http://www.helipal.com/walkera-hm-uf...FYYWMgod8HIAEg
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:37 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
You sure they are no longer made.....if so there's still a lot of them being sold http://www.helipal.com/walkera-hm-uf...FYYWMgod8HIAEg
They're back in production, I promise you.

I know Joel from Heliguy.co.uk very well.

I heard it straight from Heliguy, a long term UK distributor.

I'm not a massive fan of eSky, but at least they don't diarrhoea all over their consumers like Walkera and discontinue parts within Months.

I disrespect Walkera, and would happily punch the manager VERY HARD.

HBFPV2 all the way, and I'm right behind them,
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)