HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2014, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2014
14 Posts
Hey thanks Mr G I waited and waited and no one responded so I flew it. It was trimmed down it seems but really unsure of what settings do what still. I did buy Tomz settings but its hard to interpret for beginners.

I got better instructions from something I found on a forum that was like "go up, push enter, go to this and adjust this".

Tomzs settings I did not understand with no step by step on how to get to the settings hes talking about.

So , I had a slight crash or more like came down on skids hard and I see the main shaft is very slightly bent.

It was bent before and still flying.

Also the teeth on the larger gear is slightly chewed but it still spools and hovers (in a spin).

Now the heli is wanting to spin. Is there anything else besides the main shaft and larger gear I should check?

Im going to try a main gear from T-rex sport and align blades today. Is there anything else that would normally be checked due to spinning?
aimHigher is online now Find More Posts by aimHigher
Last edited by aimHigher; Sep 12, 2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added text
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2014, 08:37 PM
MightyG
Joined Mar 2013
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimHigher View Post

It was bent before and still flying.

Also the teeth on the larger gear is slightly chewed but it still spools and hovers (in a spin).

Now the heli is wanting to spin. Is there anything else besides the main shaft and larger gear I should check?

Im going to try a main gear from T-rex sport and align blades today. Is there anything else that would normally be checked due to spinning?

Don't fly with a bent main, it will throw out the gyro because of the excess vibrations. Align main & tail gears are compatible with the V450D03, I use my V450D03 main & tail on my HK450GT which is a Trex clone.

I would also make sure the OWB (one way bearing) in the main is ok, along with the belt & tail shaft & feathering shaft.

Good luck with the next flight... & if you're interested check out this tutorial on learning how to fly... It's how I did it about 10 years ago. Do it this way and save your $$$

Cheers

MG.
MightyG is online now Find More Posts by MightyG
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing Ruby
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:21 PM
Joined Sep 2014
14 Posts
MG appreciate the suggestions. Im stumped I changed the gear and it hovered nicely then started spinning again after 4-5 hovers. I have a main shaft on the way but is there something I can adjust or check that gets knocked out of place?

I will check for a local shop for align 450 main shaft but I think its not the main shaft.

Will any 450 align trex main shaft fit or is there a specific one?

Waiting for your reply before heading to LHS tomorrow.
aimHigher is online now Find More Posts by aimHigher
Last edited by aimHigher; Sep 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: edit
Old Sep 13, 2014, 02:23 AM
MightyG
Joined Mar 2013
635 Posts
Quote:
MG appreciate the suggestions. Im stumped I changed the gear and it hovered nicely then started spinning again after 4-5 hovers. I have a main shaft on the way but is there something I can adjust or check that gets knocked out of place?
Uncontrolled piro's can be a pain to track down, but after 4-5 hover??? Again I'd be checking the belt tension. Another mechanical issue that happens often is that a (or both) radial bearing(s) in the tail arms can seize under load which means that the tail pitch can't be changed during flight, but presents as ok on the bench. I've had that happen to me on my genuine Align 450 once. To circumvent the issue I've started using these Tarot tail assemblies that have thrust bearings in them. These fit and work perfectly on the V450D03.

If you tail arms are ok on the bench you'll need to test again under load. To test for this you will need to remove the main blades and spin up the heli on a smooth surface WITHOUT the landing rubbers on so that the heli can easily slide around & you can test the piro action under load, but be safe on the ground.

Quote:
I will check for a local shop for align 450 main shaft but I think its not the main shaft.

The V450D03 uses a 118mm main shaft, which is traditionally used on heli's that use a flybar. Most regular 450 FBL helis use 116 mm main's and 450 DFC mains are usually 108mm. A 118mm main shaft should be a drop in replacement.

Look into getting a new feathering shaft as well. Remove it from the heli if you can and show you LHS what you need... I don't know what is needed as I've never had to pull apart my V450D03 main head... According the this post though you can use an align feathering shaft.

Cheers

MG.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MightyG; Sep 13, 2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 02:36 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,169 Posts
Flying a damaged 450 is just nutz. Bent shaft/ messed up main gear. If heli is spinning probaly lose belt or worn belt. . If you are in USA Wow should have parts . also Rc carmax has Walkera parts. I don't know if align parts fit V450D03. The V450D01 is closer to Align design but not sure. If that gyro goes crazy from vibration game over for heli.
Problem with Walkera heli and local H/S is that they don't sell them. Depends on how helpful H/S folks are. I never tried mixing parts from one brand to another. might work/ might not.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 13, 2014, 05:52 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
387 Posts
HeliRCStore also carries Walkera parts in the US. I have bought several Genius CP parts from him. Walkera helicopters as well as other brands too. Decent prices and pleasant to deal with.

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Sep 14, 2014, 03:19 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2013
405 Posts
Got to maiden my D03 today - love it! Flew 3 packs and then the wind picked up.
Between each pack I let it rest and flew the D01.
ESC and motor on both get hot - will look at some heatsinks for the esc.
Zaphod69 is offline Find More Posts by Zaphod69
Old Sep 14, 2014, 06:44 PM
Ireland, Dublin, Dublin City
Joined May 2013
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod69 View Post
dont bother with heat sinks replace the esc or try an external bec
robert trebor is offline Find More Posts by robert trebor
Old Sep 14, 2014, 08:34 PM
MightyG
Joined Mar 2013
635 Posts
Quote:

Oh.... forgot about this one... Check the grub screw used to lock the tail rotor head in place on the tail shaft is nice and tight...

Good Luck!

MG
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2014, 08:50 PM
MightyG
Joined Mar 2013
635 Posts
Quote:
Not sure if you've done this... but also check the tail servo for over heating. Lots of people (including myself) had issues with this one.

Cheers

MG.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2013
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert trebor View Post
dont bother with heat sinks replace the esc or try an external bec
OK thanks. I'll look into that. Any recommended ESC / bec?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyG View Post
Not sure if you've done this... but also check the tail servo for over heating. Lots of people (including myself) had issues with this one.

Cheers

MG.
Thanks for the tip - is there a way to keep it cool or is it something to replace? If its replace - any recommendations? I've read that Walkera electronics don't play nice with other brands - is that correct?

Cheers
Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM
MightyG
Joined Mar 2013
635 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the tip - is there a way to keep it cool or is it something to replace? If its replace - any recommendations? I've read that Walkera electronics don't play nice with other brands - is that correct?

Cheers

Check out this post for info...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...16&postcount=1

I personally went the opposite route and swapped out the gyro & esc due to my dislike for the 6 axis gyro...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2126183
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2013
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyG View Post
Check out this post for info...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...16&postcount=1

I personally went the opposite route and swapped out the gyro & esc due to my dislike for the 6 axis gyro...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2126183
Awesome - thanks MG
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
Ireland, Dublin, Dublin City
Joined May 2013
83 Posts
Quote:

Cheers
i use the hobbywing platinum pro 40A it hardly heats up
robert trebor is offline Find More Posts by robert trebor
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
Joined Jun 2013
148 Posts
I replaced the stock D03 servo which failed at about 100 batteries with a DS525M
which has been working beautifully - no 3D. The other day when the heli bound, the tail rotors locked hard left and the servo was buzzing. I pulled power. Tried it again and physically pulled the rotors to center. Buzzing stopped and I've put 3 batteries through it. Same thing happens at binding but doesn't seem to lock on hard left turns while flying. I've changed nothing on the Devo10 Tx or heli to make
this happen. Advice appreciated.
Capoli
capoli is offline Find More Posts by capoli