HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:36 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Discussion
Problem with a Sabertooth 12 r/c esc.

Hey I have the Sabertooth 12 r/c installed in a 1/6th scale tank. Running on a 12 volt battery. Using a Spektrum DX6i tx and 6 channel rx. 500 class brushed motors and 30:1 gearboxes.

What happens is when first used in full forward speed I have normal speed. Same for reverse and on turns. Go to use forward again and speed is now 1/2 of normal. Reverse and turns still maintain their normal speeds.

Also I have a pronounced drift to the right when running forward, as in it seems one motor is running faster then the other.

So far I've played with the Dip switch positions and didn't seem to affect it.
Also have swapped wires on the motors, swapped the motor wires on the Sabertooth, changed rx's, changed batteries, played with tx settings and it still acts the same.

I'm pulling my hair out on this, especially since the "junky toy system" it originally had did not have these problems.

I did use Dimension Engineering's help site, got a ticket number, but not gotten an answer back from them.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

GOT IT!!! finally got a reply from DE. Said to retry setting switch #6 down to set endpoints, then turn the switch up to lock in the settings before powering down. No joy. All that did was repeat the original problem and now slow down both forward and reverse after using a turn command.

Went back and tried one more thing on my own. Switched both #6 and #5 down. Powered up the system, ran forward and reverse, and both turns, rechecked forward and reverse and then flipped switch #6 back up.

Shut down system, fired it back up and happy happy joy joy, it's working like a charm, and even the drift problem is gone.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Last edited by Glacier Girl; Aug 02, 2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Found the fix.
to remove ads between posts