HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:50 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
461 Posts
Dick,

I'm not sure what you meant by "treated" RipStop. But when I used it to cover R/C combat foamies (back when I was young), I had to pass the fabric through the clothes washer to get it ready to accept the spray glue. It may have washed off something like mold release - I'm not sure. We used Floral spray to produce flat, camouflage-like finishes.

I had forgotten about Floral paint but frankly I was looking for something that produced more vivid colors. I thought about the squirt tubes of dimensional fabric paint that they sell at Micheals and others. But it would need some thinning to reduce weight and make it "paintable".
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:21 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,168 Posts
Ray - not sure I can find it quickly, but I buy my rip-stop via kite supply stores, and the "hand" (feeling) of similar weight fabric seems "stiffer" from the kite store than from the average retail fabric store.

I am not sure if it is "sized" or if, indeed, it is some kind of release added during manufacture, but my experience is that the kite stuff is definitely stiffer when feeling each. I will continue to look for the notes/comparison data.

Dick
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:48 AM
Norman2
Connestee Falls, Brevard, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2006
389 Posts
Hi, Attached photo of my AC100 in Prada Livery on the sails and hull. Regards
Norman2
Norman2 is offline Find More Posts by Norman2
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:58 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,487 Posts
The gentleman that own's Chesapeake Performance Models - David Ramos has experience with a silk screening process that he has been working to perfect for the sails on his boats. He has furnished CR 914's in the past with the silk screening you see in the pictures. I think AG the original manufacturer of the CR 914 and CR 610 started the practice. My CR 610 sails have the same very cool looking screening on them. That boat was produced by AG in Japan - Dave has the molds for this boat as well. I suspect if demand were there he'd be producing them.

I know Dave offers custom painting for his customers as well. During one of my calls to him seeking a few tips on the assembly of my 914, we chatted about the sails, and he mentioned to me he was working on developing a paint, and/or trying to find a paint that doesn't crack or peel over time and exposure to the elements. UV is brutal on things like this - perhaps that is why we don't see more decorator sails??

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Oct 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM.