SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:59 AM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Discussion
PowerLab8 - Set Point Charge Current Less than Preset Current

Hi,

I have set up a preset to charge at 30A but when I start a charge cycle using the preset PL8 only charges at 10A (CC). Why won't it charge at the full 30A? I am using a 12V Pb battery as my charge source.

Regards, MW.
martinwinlow is offline Find More Posts by martinwinlow
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,175 Posts
You may be hitting the "battery max amps out" limit. How many cells in the pack you are charging? How many amps is the PL8 pulling from the Pb battery?
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:45 PM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Hi Gregor99 - I am charging just one 160Ah ThunderSky cell and the PL8 was taking around 5A from the 12 battery. I checked the "battery max amps out" limit on the preset (under the Supply tab, Battery Power Source section) and is set at 50A. After my last post, I changed the preset to a different one which puts the full 30A in for a draw of 11A out of the 12V battery. So it is capable of doing it - looks like I overlooked a setting somewhere... there are so many of them! I'll probably get used to it eventually! MW
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:04 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinwinlow View Post
Hi,

I have set up a preset to charge at 30A but when I start a charge cycle using the preset PL8 only charges at 10A (CC). Why won't it charge at the full 30A? I am using a 12V Pb battery as my charge source.

Regards, MW.
Hi:

You say you set the PL8 to charge at 30A, but it sounds almost like you selected an AUTO C charge; e.g. 1C, 2C, 3C AUTO when you started the charge. The reason I say this is because the default setting for MAX AUTO AMPS (found in the Fuel tab of the CCS) is 10A for the High Power preset. This prevents a battery from running away on charge current if the fuel table does not match the battery connected.

Otherwise, check your Smart Power Management settings in the Supply tab. Make sure they're not set to limit input at 12A or something.

Otherwise, Gregor99 is probably on track. You can check to see what the PL8 can deliver to the battery using the Power Calculator ss we provide at this link:

http://revolectrix.fmadirect.com/sup.../item_1301.zip

If you're running v2, then you need to use sheet 2 of the spreadsheet. Look at Question 4.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:08 AM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Thanks - I'll look into that. Regards, MW.