HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:19 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
I want to do what you are doing, that was some good flying there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post

it gets dark fast now , i guess i will get more sim time. but i want the real deal
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,942 Posts
Quote:
But your doing inverted flying , im not there yet, to scared to crash still. I can fly inverted on the sim ,of coarse, lol. But it will be a long time before my head lets me do it in real life.
Happy flying all.

Im have been flying more to help calm me for the event, but that means cam off, i fly better when the cam is off! Lol
Once again you will feel less wind on a bigger heli,
Yeah, i have a way of calming my mind and body. But honestly. I can't feel loose and calm with the cam on my head. Just having it there immidiately makes me stiff in the neck trying to focus the camera and fly at the same time. Then if the heli ends up too close and high above me, i'm scared to look up because the hat and camera might fall back off my head. OR something along those lines, i think you know what i mean. It's just harder to concentrate and really control the pitch for the flips and things. But i like to watch the videos myself. It's a good learning tool. Plus if something goes wrong, you might have an extra clue to what it was. Plus everyone likes to see everyone else crash

I feel like an idiot, i finally had a dumb thumbs moment with my 4f200 yesterday and took out 2 servos. No other damage, thankfully. But like an idiot i took right off the pad, like i often do, and went right into an back flip to inverted. Unfortunately, somehow, even after double checking the switch before i did it. (idiot) I left it in normal mode and went inverted................. At least this crash was MY fault though. first one in weeks and weeks with that heli.

When the wind dies, or my muscle memory advances i might be able to shoot a video of inverted circuits. But for now i'll leave those (sloppy) inverted circuits to my v120 size... just for now. I did have a random wag on my tail and thought i was going to have a moment like you did. I went and checked it all out. Turned out to be the ball link on the plastic rocker arm. The one the servo rod connects to. It was almost out of the hole, and since its in plastic i could CA it. Still not trusting it too much. I'm flying it far away, lets just say that.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 22, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:37 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,172 Posts
I enjoy calming the mind and body, but flying still gets my heart racing,
Heli Biggie is offline Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:30 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,942 Posts
Okay people. I finally got around to starting the V450 build from parts. It's almost done, so i started uploading pictures and working on the actual build log. Hopefully this helps someone with visual representations, at the very least. I'm sure someone out there will benefit from it, hopefully.

Custom V450 - Parts Build & Mods
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,200 Posts
V450d03

Anyone seen upcoming V450D03? Looks like same ESC and servos, tail assembly from V450d01 except for frame, canopy and new 6-axis FBL system.

Is is using same rotorhead as v450d01?

Thinking of transferring my v450d01 electronics over to v450d03 if it'll be easier to maintain and more durable or crash resistance.
Torch8 is online now Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:47 AM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
Fantastic! Now I'll have a idea of how to rebuild when I destroy mine. The RTF's don't give you anything for instructions.

Thanks for the hard work in your documenting all of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Okay people. I finally got around to starting the V450 build from parts. It's almost done, so i started uploading pictures and working on the actual build log. Hopefully this helps someone with visual representations, at the very least. I'm sure someone out there will benefit from it, hopefully.

Custom V450 - Parts Build & Mods
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Anyone seen upcoming V450D03? Looks like same ESC and servos, tail assembly from V450d01 except for frame, canopy and new 6-axis FBL system.

Is is using same rotorhead as v450d01?

Thinking of transferring my v450d01 electronics over to v450d03 if it'll be easier to maintain and more durable or crash resistance.

It is the same as the "New" v450d01. Being it has the same mechanics on the rotors and the "new" rx. It just has a plastic frame, which is MORE likely to break in a crash. IMO. I've crashed the old frame so many times, very hard too (mostly grass and sand) and the main frame is still in one piece. The 3mm CF frame is actually very strong. The tiered design, using aluminum pillars to connect the upper and lower CF frames makes it a very strong structure to fold or break. Basically the structure is very rigid and cannot bend or fold easily. Unlike what i suspect you will see in the D03 frame, being that it is plastic. However, the D03 frame in composition alone is more elastic and flexible than CF. Which might add to it's durability in a sense. But i suspect it to be a very brittle plastic, like so many of Walkera other models. It's not like they are using ultra light ABS plastic or anything, i'm sure. It's probably a non copolymer plastic.

Oh yeah, it also weighs more than the CF frame does, apparently.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:23 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Fantastic! Now I'll have a idea of how to rebuild when I destroy mine. The RTF's don't give you anything for instructions.

Thanks for the hard work in your documenting all of that!
I just hope it helps people with this heli. For the most part, the diagrams for the v450 are awful. Documentation that comes with the heli is just basic and very vague and horribly translated into English. I had to figure out for myself which screws go where. As far as the proper lengths and threads. It's pretty straight forward, really. The diagram does mention most of the sizes for you. But some are very vague, till you just stick a screw in it. But for the most part I leave it up to the end user to figure out which screws go where. You might want to buy 2 screw kits just in case It was just too frustrating to try and make mention of every screw. Then if i was wrong have to go back and change it. But i did make mention of a few.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,200 Posts
Quote:
It is the same as the "New" v450d01. Being it has the same mechanics on the rotors and the "new" rx. It just has a plastic frame, which is MORE likely to break in a crash. IMO. I've crashed the old frame so many times, very hard too (mostly grass and sand) and the main frame is still in one piece. The 3mm CF frame is actually very strong. The tiered design, using aluminum pillars to connect the upper and lower CF frames makes it a very strong structure to fold or break. Basically the structure is very rigid and cannot bend or fold easily. Unlike what i suspect you will see in the D03 frame, being that it is plastic. However, the D03 frame in composition alone is more elastic and flexible than CF. Which might add to it's durability in a sense. But i suspect it to be a very brittle plastic, like so many of Walkera other models. It's not like they are using ultra light ABS plastic or anything, i'm sure. It's probably a non copolymer plastic.

Oh yeah, it also weighs more than the CF frame does, apparently.
Thanks for the custom build posting, also you help me in rebuilding my tail. I actually like my CF v450d01 more.
Torch8 is online now Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
Semi Expert
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
I once went onto a website for parts, & found that to order the parts, they had some diagrams. I don't care how much you magnified them you couldn't read the #'s of the part & it was absolutely worthless, so I won't use them as a U.S.A. supplier!

You, Guy have helped out tons of people here, & I really commend you for your time & efforts. I know I couldn't do it, I try to help out with info that I am aware of, but you really document it fantastically with the pics. & the comments. Hooray to what ever your real name is...

Quote:
I just hope it helps people with this heli. For the most part, the diagrams for the v450 are awful. Documentation that comes with the heli is just basic and very vague and horribly translated into English. I had to figure out for myself which screws go where. As far as the proper lengths and threads. It's pretty straight forward, really. The diagram does mention most of the sizes for you. But some are very vague, till you just stick a screw in it. But for the most part I leave it up to the end user to figure out which screws go where. You might want to buy 2 screw kits just in case It was just too frustrating to try and make mention of every screw. Then if i was wrong have to go back and change it. But i did make mention of a few.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:15 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
I once went onto a website for parts, & found that to order the parts, they had some diagrams. I don't care how much you magnified them you couldn't read the #'s of the part & it was absolutely worthless, so I won't use them as a U.S.A. supplier!

You, Guy have helped out tons of people here, & I really commend you for your time & efforts. I know I couldn't do it, I try to help out with info that I am aware of, but you really document it fantastically with the pics. & the comments. Hooray to what ever your real name is...
Yeah, i kind of have this thing about anonymity on the web But my real name is Tony. Short for Anthony, actually.

Anyway, You might be able to answer this since you have a big heli you might have experience in this particular field. I just got a Laser photo tachometer that uses a piece of reflective tape to take a reading on rotational speed. It's actually for calibrating and checking tool speeds and things like that. But my question is this:

Where is the proper location in the length of the blades to place the reflective tape, so that i can take a proper and accurate HS reading using the laser. It seems that there is easily a 100-200 rpm difference between checking the root and the tips. I assume one or the other is correct, or perhaps it should be the CG point of the blades? This is rather frustrating for me ATM.

BTW, hover test on the new V450 i built went well. It hovered without incident. Now that i have a Tachometer i can determine the proper timing i should be using on the ESC for the right head speed for this motor. So, i'm sooo very tempted to keep this one instead of listing it. Funny story though! I bought a new WK tail servo to install in this guy a few months back. I was setting it up on the bench, using 5V BEC and the damn tail servo just stopped moving in one direction all of a sudden when i was getting ready to set the neutral/end points. Just after i finished setting the likage rod position for neutral. So this heli is going to have all 4 savox servos. I'll have to get a new one for mine. I kind of just want to rebuild it and sell them both. I have to get a X5 and a X2. It's become very frustrating to me that i don't have the means to buy them at the moment.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:26 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,172 Posts
All the align or savox we put into this heli is worth it, it makes it a try heli. You just have to check the screws. I found a loose fs today on the v450. Flew great after i tightened it up.

walkera v450d01 3d after finding loose fs (5 min 49 sec)

Im getting the feel of this flying thing,
Check your screws! Its been such a good heli i think i didnt check the fs in a while! Could have been bad
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:38 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,942 Posts
Quote:
All the align or savox we put into this heli is worth it, it makes it a try heli. You just have to check the screws. I found a loose fs today on the v450. Flew great after i tightened it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RWhh...e_gdata_player

Im getting the feel of this flying thing,
Check your screws! Its been such a good heli i think i didnt check the fs in a while! Could have been bad
thread lock is good too. But just a little bit. The red stuff is probably the best to use. Just a very little bit and wipe the excess. It will hold tight forever. If it locks up coming off you just use a soldering iron to break it free.

Also, good practice is to check all the main mechanics as often as possible. Every flight would be nice. But every 5-10 flights is a good bet. The swash, blade grip linkages, all that stuff.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:23 PM
They call me plan B
Joined Mar 2011
2,172 Posts
I have the red ....i love it , its just the only spot im worried about putting it!

More 600 video from today on my channel. Ninja636king
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:26 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,942 Posts
Another large update to the build log. The electronics, including the Savox servos. No detailed setup info though.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22826197