HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Venom 70mm F-86 EDF ARF

Venom Group introduces a loaded 70mm F-86 Sabre, complete with pneumatic retracts, speed brakes and flaps.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:42.7"
Wing Area:232 sq. in.
Weight:52.9 oz.
Length:43.4"
Wing Loading:32 oz/sq. ft.
Servos:9 gram class (11 total pre-installed)
Transmitter:JR X9503
Receiver:Spektrum AR7000 DSM2
Battery:Venom 4S 3200mAh 30C lipoly
Motor/Fan:2836Kv brushless outrunner, 70mm fan
ESC:45 amp with 5A external BEC
Available From:Venom Group International
Price:$269.99
Flight Duration:5-6 minutes

When it comes to war birds, everyone has his perennial favorite. For many, one of the all time classic jets from the earliest days of jet aviation is the North American Aviation F-86 Sabre Jet. Just saying its name instantly conjures up images of air to air jet combat between this classic swept wing fighter and its arch nemesis, the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15. The Sabre was developed in the late 1940s and was somewhat outdated by the end of the 1950s. The Sabre's unique adaptability however saw it used as a front line fighter in some third world air forces until the last active front line examples were retired in 1994.

The "real" Desert Rats F-86 taxis back from a demonstration flight

Venom Group International brings the excitement of the F-86 Sabre Jet to the radio control modeling table in the popular 70mm EDF format. The list of included features is notable and impressive: Pneumatic retracts, flaps and working scale speed brakes are all included, as is a 45 amp speed controller with 5 amp BEC and a 70mm fan with a 2836Kv brushless outrunner motor. The only items not included in the box are a 6-7 channel radio system and a lipoly battery. Available in three squadron schemes, this review will focus on the lesser modeled of the three, the Desert Rats version.

A clearly identified shipping box alerts all who see it that an F-86 lives inside!

Kit Contents

Snappy artwork on box illustrates one of the 3 schemes available

In The Box:

• Fuselage, with nose retract, steering servo and power system pre-installed
  • Wing halves, with flap and aileron servos pre-installed and control surfaces pre-hinged
  • Horizontal and vertical stabilizers, with control surfaces pre-hinged
  • Pair of drop tanks
  • Set of tricycle suspension strut landing gear
  • All required control horns, with fasteners
  • Pull pull nose steering hardware
  • Pilot figure
  • Removable hatch with clear canopy
  • All necessary push rods
  • Wing retention fasteners (4)
  • Tube of adhesive
  • Custom length servo Y cables
  • 12 page black and white illustrated assembly manual
  • Plastic wing fences (2)
  • Allen wrench

Required for Completion:

• Six or seven channel radio system
  • 3200-3600mAh 14.8 volt 30C discharge rating lipoly battery

Included for Review:

• Venom 3200mAh 14.8 volt 30C lipoly battery

Recommended Venom 4S Lipo for F-86 (Part #15013)

Box endplate lists the complete specifications of the kit found inside

Assembly

Venom F-86 Assembly Manual

The Venom F-86 Sabre comes securely packed in its large, colorful box with each and every piece packed in its own sealed protective plastic bag. Initial inspection of all of the parts in the box showed that mine had survived its journey from Venom's warehouse to my home in Northern California in tip top shape. In a continuing trend with ARFs, much of the assembly is completed for the builder by the factory. All control surfaces come pre-hinged and pre-attached on the F-86. All servos are pre-installed (11 total). The three pneumatic retracts are also installed at the factory, as is the air tank. Routine tasks left to the builder include making up all push rods and installing all control horns.

In my opinion, the included black and white assembly manual is at best adequate. Its small form factor causes the single page of assembly illustrations to be thumbnail sized. Though the assembly of the Venom Sabre is fairly typical for a 70mm EDF, more details on how the nose steering pull pull cable system gets installed would be helpful. Those who have not assembled an EDF before may find themselves scratching their heads a little as they work their way through the assembly process. On the other hand, kudos goes to Venom for not forgetting to include important information such as the range for the proper center of gravity and control surface throw recommendations. The manual also includes a pre-flight check list, as well as numerous tips and hints for successfull flights. Another page in the manual provides a valuable list of replacement parts, complete with part numbers for each piece in all three color schemes.

Wing

The two foam wing halves come out of the box with all servos installed and all control surfaces hinged and attached. The hinges used are the small "pin" type. A quick once over included a tug or two on of all of them to verify that they were securely locked in place. Venom installs protective packing sleeves on the aileron and flap servo horns to prevent them gouging any of the other foam pieces in the box. Colorful Desert Rats decals are already applied on the wings and an abundance of panel lines are molded into the foam. Several of the servos used on the F-86 are reverse rotation servos and are colored conspicuously red to differentiate them from the regular rotation servos, which are all colored black.

Assembly of the wing is quick and painless. All that is required to have it ready for attaching to the fuselage is to attach the included custom length servo extensions to the aileron and flap servos and press them into the provided channels cut into the undersides of the wings, install the four control horns to the flaps and ailerons and glue the two halves together. Once this has been done, the push rods can be made up and installed.

I found it best to go ahead and install all of the control horns before the two wing halves become one larger piece. Venom includes an ample supply of machine screws to attach the control horns to the control surfaces, although they are a bit on the long side. A quick nip from the Dremel after installation remedied this. It is not really even necessary to trim the excess length, with slightly improved aesthetics being the only tangible gain. I really like the color of the control horns. It may seem like a trivial matter but they unobtrusively blend in with the gray/silver color of the Sabre and are thus less noticeable in flight.

The servo extensions are custom length in that they have an offset length on one lead, or half, of each Y cable. This is because the leads do not transition into the fuselage at the center line of the wing but rather at one side of the wing. Thus, the shorter leads on the aileron and flap servo extensions should be routed to the left wing half. Another nice touch is that numbers are applied to all servo leads and extensions, to assist with identification of each channel. With a full featured airframe such as this, which fills a seven channel receiver and leaves no channels empty, numbered leads help keep it all straight when it comes time to plug everything into the receiver.

Once the control horns, push rods and servo leads are in place, it is time to glue the two wing halves together in preparation for mounting the wing to the fuselage. A tube of adhesive is included in the box but I almost always defer to the knowns offered up by my own epoxies and adhesives. I used five minute epoxy on the two wing halves. 15 minute epoxy may be better, as the wing joints are complex and have enough surface area to require speedy spreading before the glue begins to set up. The servo leads get routed up through a circular channel up and into the fuselage. The twin main retract air lines get routed downward through the same hole. Indented channels are provided for routing the air lines to the gear wells. Once the epoxy has dried, the wing is attached to the fuselage using four long screws. The receivers for these four screws are mounted in recesses in the wing saddle area. I had some difficulty getting all four screws in place and started. I used the point of a bamboo food skewer to sniff out the blind holes and then carefully removed the skewer and replaced it with a screw. Though the wing is essentially removable thanks to these four fasteners, it would be a fair amount of work to do so given the servo leads and airlines.

The twin orange airlines are next pushed onto the barb fittings (a bit of a challenge!) on the main retracts and the main retract suspension struts can also be mounted to the retracts. It is not advisable to have too much excess air line lying in the bottom of the gear wells, as it may impede the mains from retracting fully into the wells. Thread lock is imperative on these metal to metal surface connections. There are flats ground onto the shafts so that the set screws can get a better bite. It is important to pay attention to the orientation of the wheels in relation to the center line of the airframe. A slight amount of toe-out is preferable to toe-in in my opinion. More on that a little further on the review!

Fuselage

Almost all of the required preparatory work in readying the fuselage for flight is already complete. The nose retract strut assembly gets mounted in the same manner as the main gear. The nose wheel steering servo comes with a rather lengthy horn installed and oriented so that it is in parallel to the center line of the fuselage and perpendicular to the nose gear steering horn.

I took the bait and connected the pull pull wires between the two horns with them positioned as described. However, once complete, I was not happy with the resulting steering throw and authority. The assembly directions are a little lacking in detail on this step. I decided to amend the installation, rotating the steering servo horn 90 degrees to make it parallel with the nose gear steering horn. I trimmed the horn down to a size small enough so that it would not interfere with the nose gear retracting up into the wheel well/auxiliary air inlet orifice. I had to scrounge around in my parts drawer to find another set of pull pull cables and ferrules. In the end, I was much happier with the performance of my modified nose steering set up.

One final step that should be listed here under the Fuselage section of the review involves the pilot figure. Venom provides a very nice little pilot bust in the box and I would normally have happily recruited him for active duty. However, I have a couple of very special pilot busts made by a talented RCGroups user named Boomer. They are arrogant little chaps and normally turn their helmets up at the EDF rides I offer them. Not so with this Venom F-86! In fact, I barely had the kit unpacked from the box when one of my Boomers eagerly reported for active duty! Once I had him securely seated in the cockpit, I closed and locked the canopy over his head with a few strategic streaks of hot glue. I like the way the canopy attaches to the fuselage. A thick foam tongue at the front indexes into a rectangular box on the fuselage, with the rear of the canopy latching securely into place by means of a set of strong magnets on each corner.

Tail

Thanks to the pre-hinged and pre-installed elevators and rudder, assembling the empennage is as simple as mixing a batch or two of epoxy and sliding the stabilizers into their respective slots on the rear of the fuselage. Again, the control horns must be installed and this is easiest done before the pieces are joined to the fuselage.

Another suggestion best carried out before inserting the vertical stabilizer and rudder is to adjust the sub trim and mechanical position of the twin elevator servo horns in order to get both of them as close to the same 12 o'clock position as possible. It is easier to do it when both of them can be sighted from the top at the same time. The elevator push rods are then assembled and installed so that they run along the top side of the horizontal stabilizers.

The rudder servo must be connected to the pre-routed servo extension before the vertical stabilizer is epoxied into position atop the fuselage. I thought it best to secure the extension with electrical tape since it would be entombed and inaccessible once the stabilizer was glued in place. The rudder servo is pre-glued into the rudder at the factory and the screw holding the servo horn in place is thus not readily accessible. I carefully drilled a small hole down through the vertical stabilizer so that I could use a small screw driver to remove the rudder servo horn when setting up the zero positions of the rudder and nose steering servos.

When gluing the two elevator halves to the rear of the fuselage, I am very embarrassed to report that my first trip to the plate resulted in a huge swing and a miss! I must have been day dreaming about the Cold War counterpart of the F-86, the Mig 15, with its anhedral configured main wing. Call it a senior moment but I glued the two horizontal stabilizers in upside down, so that the Sabres tail surfaces had anhedral! Fortunately, I was able to surgically remove them and reinstall them correctly, with no visible damage to serve as a testament to my foolishness evident.

Viva la Dihedral!!

Radio Installation

I chose the Spektrum AR7000 seven channel receiver for the Venom F-86. With all of its cool features and functions, getting by on any fewer channels is almost impossible. As I readied the receiver for installation, I found that one or two of the servo leads were just a bit short for the location where I had hoped to locate my receiver. I grabbed a couple of short servo extensions from my parts bin to add the required length.

The area under the canopy is quite busy, with all of the the pieces and parts of the pneumatic retract system, the retract servo and valve, speed controller with its BEC and radio receiver all competing for their part of the limited space available. I like my wiring to be as neat as possible, so a little time was spent tidying it all up as best as possible. A piece of wire loom was of inestimable value in hiding the bulk of the servo wiring as it is routed to the AR7000 connections. A little dab or two of hot glue was used to hold the speed controller and BEC in position. An rectangular opening allows air from the fan ducting below to pass up through this compartment and cool the ESC. I normally like to mount the satellite receiver on an orientation that is perpendicular to the main receiver but space limitations prevented me from finding a spot to achieve this. I placed it at the limit of its wire length, at the front of the battery area. One aerial on the main receiver was close enough to the edge of the fuselage that I drilled a small hole to allow it to protrude out the side of the fuselage.

The busy under-canopy compartment after I spent a little time neatening the wiring and components

Channel Mapping
Channel Function Notes
One Throttle BEC connects to AR7000 battery connection
Two Ailerons Two servos, connected via Y cable
Three Elevator Two servos, connected via Y cable
Four Rudder One servo
Five Gear One servo, connected to retract air valve
Six Flaps Two servos, connected via Y cable
Seven Speed brakes Two servos, connected via Y cable

Only one set of rates are provided in the assembly manual, so I made these my low rates and then added approximately 50% more or the full mechanical limit for high rates. I like to fly with 30-40% exponential on ailerons and elevators. One recommendation that had me scratching my head was the flap to elevator mix. I am accustomed to mixing in a small percentage of down elevator with the flaps but the Venom manual suggested adding 75% up elevator? I decided to leave all elevator mixing to zero and toy with the flaps in flight to determine what the actual type and amount of elevator trim that would need mixed in. I used the throws recommended in the assembly manual when programming my JR X9503 transmitter, save the flap to elevator mix.

Venoms Recommended Control Throws
Elevator 5/16" (8mm)
Ailerons 13/32" (10mm)
Rudder 5/16" (8mm)
Flaps 31/32" (25mm)
NOTE: When using flaps, mix 75% up elevator

Power System

The included Venom 70mm EDF power system is almost 100% ready to go right out of the box. The fan and motor are already installed in the fuselage, as are the speed controller and thrust tube! When it comes to the power system, all that is required to make it functional is to add a lipoly battery in the recommended voltage and size range (14.8 volt, 3200-3600mAh).

Venom group supplied one of their 30C discharge rating 4S 320mAh lipoly batteries for this review. It comes with a cool little protective plastic overcap to prevent the two power leads from shorting to each other. I favor Deans Ultra connectors and so soldered a fresh pair to the ESC and battery. The battery is designed to mount in the front of the under-canopy compartment. A hook and loop retaining strap is already in place on the front of the ply mounting tray. This strap secures the rear of the battery, while the front is held in place by another flat piece of hook and loop.

Completion

With the assembly of the F-86 nearly complete, I found myself wanting to power up the receiver and play with all of the cool features. I was impressed to find that the speed brake servos were perfectly configured and worked nicely using my JR's Aux 2 switch. After cycling them through their three positions (fully closed, half deployed, fully deployed) several times, I noticed that they were still ajar a little when they were supposed to be fully closed. A few minutes tweaking the bends in the wires that link the servo arms to the wooden slides attached to the inside of the speed brake doors had them closing flush with the sides of the fuselage.

One item that must be obtained by the builder is an air pump, to pressurize the pneumatic retract system. I happened to have a Robart manual pump from previous projects that had used pneumatic retracts but other folks I know like using a battery powered pump for faster fill ups. Venom recommends pressuring the tank to around 100 PSI. The initial cycling of my gear revealed that one main gear was at times sticking in the up position. A very slight application of pressure from one finger would cause it to click and then release. Another industrious RCGroups user who was among the first to get this Venom F-86 in the air determined that a protruding thread or twos worth of shaft sticking out of a T pin inside the pneumatic assembly was the cause of this problem. A little grind from a Dremel to make the rod flush is all that is required to rectify the sticky gear. (Bruce's Fix )

All of the decals that make up the snappy color schemes come pre-applied. Completion of a model always includes all of the important checks and verifications. Checking the center of gravity is perhaps one of the most important steps that must not be admitted. Venom recommends a CG that is in the range of 175 to 185mm from the leading edge of the wing where it meets the fuselage, at the wing root. Positioning the supplied Venom 4S 3200mAh lipo as far forward as possible saw my CG just outside the rearmost point of the recommended range. To get it back into the correct range, I filled a small ziplok bag with just the right amount of sand and inserted it into the rectangular cutout that receives the tongue of the canopy. My All Up Weight before adding the small amount of ballast came in at 53 ounces, which is exactly one tenth of an ounce heaveir than the weight specified by Venom.

I really enjoy shooting static photos of a recently completed model. It is a celebration of sorts for me when I carry the completed air frame out to the street in front of my home for taxi tests, initial radio range checks and a couple dozen photos. The Venom F-86 was especially exciting, with all of its bonus features just begging to be exercised for the photos! What a looker!

Flying

Taking Off and Landing

I have several excellent flying venues from which I select when planning a maiden outing. I almost always fly my 70mm and larger EDFs at sites that have a paved runway surface. I had not yet completely worked out the cause of my main gear intermittently sticking, so I decided to fly the maiden at a venue with an abundance of soft green grass should I need to belly land the F-86 due to the gear not deploying. The takeoff surface at this venue is a track composed of very fine sandy gravel with a hard pack base beneath it. Though the F-86 has flaps, I seldom opt to use them on the maiden of a new air frame and instead reserve that test for later flights. My goals on the first flight were to get the F-86 aloft and trimmed, fly three minutes or so and land.

My first takeoff was uneventful. I always intentionally hold the plane on the ground as long as possible on a maiden flight, to insure that there are no surprises due to an early rotation coupled with too little speed. The F-86 climbed out at a shallow angle and required but a few clicks of down trim on the elevator axis for hands off flight. Speed was adequate but I felt safest keeping the throttle in the 80-100% range. My entry into the landing pattern was large and gradual and the F-86 slid down the glide slope smoothly as I slowly eased the power back. I would honestly rate the first landing as a solid 8.0 out of 10.0 and yet when I picked up the F-86, I found that all three suspension strut mounts (the shaft that is set screwed into the retract block and to which the suspension gear assemblies mount) were bent at a fairly steep angle!? And it was far too easy to bend them back into position with just my bare hands.

Another decent landing or two with more bent gear and more straightening and the nose gear shaft snapped. I have access to a very average set of tools and my efforts to extract the the broken piece of wire that was left stranded in the retract block resulted in the retract block being pretty much ruined. I grabbed another pneumatic nose retract from a spare set of gear I had in my shop and reworked the nose gear assembly using it. I also used a piece of hardened strut wire from this same set of retracts to make up a set of three new wire strut mounts, which seemed to be made of a much harder metal than the originally supplied ones. I have since had no problem with the gear over the course of a dozen and a half flights. All successive flights have since been done off of pavement. Takeoffs can be performed with or without flaps and either way, the F-86 gets off the ground pretty quickly. The stock power system runs around 550 to 600 watts. Though it will not push the F-86 into a straight vertical take off, it does a nice job of getting it up to flying speed in short order.

Reworked nose gear retract and steering assembly

One important observation I made is that having the main gear oriented with any toe-in at all can make the takeoff rolls much longer, as the two wheels have the effect of braking the aircraft and can even cause it to break into a strange rolling oscillation or speed wobble at times. Keep the two mains aligned to one another and the center line of the F-86, or with a slightly toe-out orientation, and take offs are much quicker and easier.

Landing the F-86 is amazingly easy. It will slow down nicely and I have yet to make a landing that I would call ugly. Without flaps, I like to hold the throttle at around 50% on the downwind leg and start pulling it back as I turn base and then final. Once the F-86 is coming down the glide slope, the throttle is reduced to 25% or so. When in ground effect, I start slowly dropping the throttle towards idle as I feather in an increasing amount of elevator. Voila! A perfect landing almost every time! It is just that easy!

Although flaps are really not even needed when flying the F-86 on the lightweight stock power system, they are fun to toy with and will slow the F-86 a bit more on final. I have shot landings with both half and full flaps and they are both relatively easy to perform. Though the manual suggested a 75% down elevator mix when using the flaps, to stop the nose from falling when deploying the flaps, I have yet to see this airframe manifest this trait. Thus, I have left my flap to elevator mixing set to zero. Flying the F-86 in a more nose heavy configuration or in less winds than I have typically flown it may validate the factorys recommendation to mix in 75% up elevator with full flaps, as was determined to be necessary by the Venom test pilots. When shooting landings with flaps, it is even more important to use the throttle to stay well ahead of the plane at all times. Though it has yet to snap at me, or for that matter even muster a growl in my direction, failing to carry enough power with the flaps deployed could find a pilot in a bad place if not careful.

This F-86 is so well behaved that landings and takeoffs are both non events and fun to practice over and over. Though the wing loading numbers do not necessarily indicate that this is an extremely lightly loaded plane, the way it handles in the air suggests otherwise. With a decent headwind, it will almost transform itself into a kite, hanging almost motionless, with minimal throttle applied. I did increase the elevator high rates that I had initially programmed to almost full mechanical travel. I felt the need for a little more throw, especially when flaring on final.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

Though some harder core EDF folks may poo poo this F-86 for its modest 550-600 watts power system, I personally think that it is perfectly practical for hauling this 70mm F-86 around the skies in a very scale fashion. With a strong 30C battery, WOT passes are a thing of beauty. Add in in a decent downwind component provided by Mother Nature and and the resulting speed is quite spiffy. Inverted flight is stable, with only a slight amount of down elevator being necessary to hold the nose up when the CG is within the recommended range.

Deploying the speed brakes to either of their two positions while in flight, or on the landing approach, results in a noticeable drop in airspeed, with a proportional increase in throttle advisable to maintain velocity. Because this F-86 is a full house air frame and includes a rudder, speed brakes and flaps, knife edge flight is possible, as well as most other basic aerobatics you may wish to try. Judicious use of the throttle and proper energy management may be required to execute certain maneuvers in some cases but the same was undoubtedly true of the full size F-86.

Is This For a Beginner?

I am lucky enough to get my hands on quite a few EDFs each month and I have to say that this 70mm F-86 is one of the most stable and well behaved airframes I have flown in some time. It is not a difficult EDF to handle in any way shape or form. A newer EDF pilot may be safe to take the sticks if he has accrued a little jet time in his books. Add in an experienced pilot on the other end of a buddy cord to provide both tutelage and a quick backup for an aspiring EDF novice and I think the Venom F-86 would be an excellent entry level EDF. Once you have been bitten by the EDF bug though, it is common to crave more and more speed. This F-86 is quite possibly a model that can grow along with the pilots abilities, since extracting the stock power system and replacing it with a more powerful one is a fairly easy task to complete.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

These photos and videos were shot in several different locations in Sonoma County, California, USA

Downloads

Conclusion

In my opinion, electric ducted fan models are still riding a huge wave of popularity among radio control enthusiasts as advances in motor and lipo technologies continue to improve the wow factor of these electric jets. Though in some small amount I have become a little jaded by the sheer abundance of new models appearing on the market, the Venom F-86 instantly captured my fancy and made its way on to my must have list in short order. Though the classic F-86 Sabre Jet is often modeled, offerings in this 70mm class with such an advanced features set included were scant prior to this Sabre from Venom. The speed brakes, flaps, pneumatic retracts and choice of three color schemes all add up to create one exciting package! The assembly went off without any real surprises and I was impressed with the way that the pre-drilled holes lined up and how accurately the foam pieces fit together. The assembly manual is a bit on the compact side for my late 40s eyes, even with glasses. The quality of the included servos is better than many of the RTF or ARF EDFs I have reviewed, with absolutely no failures experienced or problems encountered during my flight testing. I did pull a little hair out of my head working out a minor issue or two in connection with the retracts but they have been solid performers once these issues were worked out. Once this F-86 is up in the skies, any minor issues are completely forgotten. This one looks absolutely superb in the air! The stock power system flies it in a believably scale manner and the overall weight and performance of the included factory power system contributes to this being a very solid and honest EDF. My stock fan and motor ran very nicely right out of the box, with the only indications of any imbalance occurring in one very low range of RPMs. Once the throttle passed through that narrow band, the fan sounded smooth all the way up to full throttle. Lipo requirements are modest, with a 4S 3200mAh lipo being all that is required to complete the power system.

This full featured F-86 is a great way for Venom Group International to come roaring onto the EDF scene! I can only hope this is the first of more EDFs from Venom in this size class and with these rich features. Now Venom, about that 70mm Mig 15 that I just KNOW you must be working on next .... wink,wink

Pluses

• Attention to detail; assembly is "dialed in" and proceeds with no surprises
  • Two favorite color schemes and a new, less modeled one too
  • Included power system provides nice scale performance and can be removed easily for installing a hotter power system if desired
  • Speed brakes and flaps up the cool factor add versatility to takeoffs and landings
  • Included pneumatic retract system, complete with suspension struts

Minuses

• Small form factor of illustrations in the assembly manual is almost unusable
  • More assembly details are needed on nose steering setup
  • Retract suspension strut mounts are very soft and bend too easily
  • One main retract intermittently hanging up in the retracted position

A special thanks to Chris at Venom for providing this excellent kit to RCGroups for review, as well as to Terry and Don for their help with the media in this review

Last edited by Angela H; Aug 24, 2010 at 10:03 AM..

Discussion

Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:46 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,721 Posts
Another great review as always Jon, thank you. Hopefully I'll have access to a paved runway one day so I can enjoy all these excellent airplanes you review.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:30 AM
Oneonta Alabama
Joined Aug 2010
898 Posts
Very Nice Jon, You make me want to rush mine for the contest so I can fly it.Hard temptation to resist.I wish you could make make my video since thats what Ill be lacking for the contest...
keith b is offline Find More Posts by keith b
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:48 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,335 Posts
Product Update

Thanks Jon for the nice review, great photos and videos.

To all VGI F-86 Sabre customers;

We are providing updated parts to those customers who are not satisfied with the landing gear alloy struts and the harder air lines. Please contact us for a free replacement.
The updated landing gear struts are now simple light weight wire parts.
The air lines are softer and clear.

We expect these parts to be in stock by Sept 1st. Future production of the F-86 will include these updates.

Thanks for your support!

Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:57 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,760 Posts
Jon you Rock.....great review .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:09 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,431 Posts
Very nice review Jon and nice product support notice by Chris! Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:59 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Booh-Yah! Nice review.

The bomb pods on the wings (are those bombs or missiles?) appear to cause a little extra play and flexing in the wings. Is that going to be a problem on high-G maneuvers?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Aug 24, 2010, 03:44 PM
United States, NV, Pahrump
Joined Jun 2005
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer View Post
Very nice review Jon and nice product support notice by Chris! Mike H
Great review. Mine due this Thursday will be printing your review to supplement instructions
Spaceshuttle1 is offline Find More Posts by Spaceshuttle1
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:58 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Booh-Yah! Nice review.

The bomb pods on the wings (are those bombs or missiles?) appear to cause a little extra play and flexing in the wings. Is that going to be a problem on high-G maneuvers?
Those are wing tanks. In testing we did high speed vertical dives and pulled G's and didnt experience any issues. There is a substantial wing spar tube that is fiber glass, 8mm OD X 500mm per wing.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:18 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Can't wait to get mine! Great news that the issue with the re-tracts has been fixed! Now I have to decide what color!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:30 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,760 Posts
which ever one you pick you cant go wrong ...there all nice
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:57 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Well done Jon
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:00 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Very nicely done Jon!
And thanks for the credit!
Bruce
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:48 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
F-86

Dang, after checking out the article, I went out and ordered one. I've got two Lander Panthers (I like the older jets) and was leaning towards the Lander Cougar but decided on the Sabre first. Can't wait for this one to get here.
jpflyer is online now Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Aug 25, 2010, 02:33 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,760 Posts
Welcome JP be sure to ck the EJF mod thread. were putting tips and mods in there.