HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:43 AM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
With battery and motor technology rapidly evolving, it's awesome to see electrics span up to planes in the 50-60cc size! I still remember back in 2003 when it was extremely expensive to make anything over a 40 size plane electric. The batteries were only pumping out 8-10c and they were expensive as hell!! That was the biggest chunk of your money right there...
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:53 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,445 Posts
I run the hacker A80 and on a 24x12 prop that thing moves. It out runs an climbs an aeroworks 88"edge with a dle 55 and almost most keeps up with an ef edge with a da60 with a tuned pipe. Now the smoothness of the electric power delivery is what l love. It's still stupid expensive in the 50cc size to go electric.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:00 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,995 Posts
Nice flying bryan... what time did you fly at? I'm guessing it doesn't get light there until around 10 AM by now huh?
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:02 AM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
It's still stupid expensive in the 50cc size to go electric.
Yes it is! But at least it's not bad at all in the 30cc size!
I'm just glad ill never have to mess with nitro ever again!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Nice flying bryan... what time did you fly at? I'm guessing it doesn't get light there until around 10 AM by now huh?
Thanks. I went out at about noon... Let it warm up a bit. Sunrise 10:02am and sunset 3:42pm today, and just a week and a half and they start getting longer.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined May 2009
336 Posts
Got a question for the electric experts....Running a A50-12L V2 in a Slick with (2) TP 4000 4S packs to make 8S with a Castle 100 ESC on a Xoar 18x8. Been running if for about 30 flights and all of a sudden the motor started making a loud noise. Pulled the cowl to find the purple engine cover to be coming off and it looks as if the shaft has more movement. Called Aero-Model where it was purchased new and there claiming my set up is to much for this motor. I also have a 74" Edge with the same set up, but the V1 A50-12L motor that has 200 flights with no issues, same everything. Aero-Model says I need the A50-16L to run this right. What do you guys think ? 3DHS shows this as a recommended set up, this is why I went that route.
gapple12 is online now Find More Posts by gapple12
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple12 View Post
Got a question for the electric experts....Running a A50-12L V2 in a Slick with (2) TP 4000 4S packs to make 8S with a Castle 100 ESC on a Xoar 18x8. Been running if for about 30 flights and all of a sudden the motor started making a loud noise. Pulled the cowl to find the purple engine cover to be coming off and it looks as if the shaft has more movement. Called Aero-Model where it was purchased new and there claiming my set up is to much for this motor. I also have a 74" Edge with the same set up, but the V1 A50-12L motor that has 200 flights with no issues, same everything. Aero-Model says I need the A50-16L to run this right. What do you guys think ? 3DHS shows this as a recommended set up, this is why I went that route.
I don't reccomend that motor on 8s, it's a better 6s option, however that motor does allow 8s and your prop seems right so it definitely shouldn't be falling apart on you!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:34 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,293 Posts
I ran that setup on my slick all summer, I baffled the motor and made sure it was cooling between flights and was rock solid with GOBS of power!
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined May 2009
336 Posts
Hmmm, are you guys running the V1 or V2 ? My V1 runs hot but performs flawless on 8S.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:52 PM
Santi
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm, are you guys running the V1 or V2 ? My V1 runs hot but performs flawless on 8S.
I'm running the V2 on 6s with a 20x10... I have heard numerous horror stories about hacker outrunners but had hoped they fixed the issues with the V2's.. This motor came with the plane I have but if I had my choice I would never purchase another hacker.
Them telling you it was being run too hard is bs though. You were running it to spec.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined May 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I'm running the V2 on 6s with a 20x10... I have heard numerous horror stories about hacker outrunners but had hoped they fixed the issues with the V2's.. This motor came with the plane I have but if I had my choice I would never purchase another hacker.
Them telling you it was being run too hard is bs though. You were running it to spec.
I agree, sounds like someone doesn't want to warranty it......I'm thinking Motrofly motors from here out.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,682 Posts
One thing that you guys are comparing about the gas VS. electrics is the cost of batteries....but the thing is that the same packs I use in my 89" Slick are also used in some of my 7X" planes, I have six 5000mAH packs, so, three flights on the 89" or six flights on my 71" Slick or Velox...or two and two...works out nicely...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
I'll take my 30cc sized electric plane over a gas any day, but for me, that 50cc+ is where I switch to gas... Hopefully in the next few years, the cost allows me to dabble in electric giant scale!!
My 87 is my first gas and I can say it's a lot cheaper than 50cc electric. All things equal except the motor, no esc on gas(50cc esc what $200+), tank $20, I run 2 2s 2100 unregulated, $40 or so IBEC. I think my dle55 was about $350 from tower with discounts. Plus since I didn't have any 6s batterys, I would be hurting big time.

Plus what I like the most, I flew 3 times at a fly in on Saturday. 36 minutes in the air! I can go 3 more without charging.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:37 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,682 Posts
Personally, I think there is good and bad for both...For me electric works out the best, for many reasons. Being able to fly for at least ten minutes would be nice though....but that is the same with any size 3D plane....it's just not going to happen with most high performance electric planes though...(at least not at this stage in battery development...)

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,154 Posts
Quote:
The spec says 355 kV - I'd say it's a lot for 18x8 on 8s. I don't know what kV the V1 had. I would guess 330 or so would be the max for a motor of that size if you want to do 18x8 on 8s. That's consistent with aero-model's recommendation of -14L.

FWIW, aircraft-world still sells Hyperion 4035-14, which works very well on my Slick with 8s and a 18x8.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg