Old Jul 21, 2016, 07:48 PM
Find More Posts by joel_l
United States, CO
Joined Nov 2005
36 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a new project

Hi,

I recently got my Vortex Soling M back up and sailing. This has rekindled my interest in model sailboats. I was looking to build/buy an S/B one design but am now also thinking it might be fun to build a wood boat that is meant to be a wood boat. I like the lines of the S/B cabin version. Does anyone know of a wood sailboat that has similar lines? Bonus would be that there are CAD format plans for it so I can scale it to a size I want ( targeting around 70" LOA ).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Joel
joel_l is offline Find More Posts by joel_l
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2016, 06:03 AM
Find More Posts by Gammon Iron
Joined Aug 2013
369 Posts
Do you mean a Santa Barbara One-Design?

DESCRIPTION
If you have been looking for a radio controlled model yacht that majestically sails and elegantly maneuvers like a crew driven Maxi or 60 footer, the Santa Barbara One-Design (OD) is for you. The Santa Barbara is a fractional rigged sloop on a near 6 foot long hull. It's designed for racing in a range of sailing conditions from performing well in light winds to being, well behaved and manageable in rough waters and 15 knots of wind. It was introduced in 1964 and was one of the first classes to be accepted by the newly formed AMYA in 1971. It is recognized as a modern classic throughout the association. Because of the one-design concept the boats built in the 1960's are competitive to those boats built in the 90's when racing around the buoys. Because of the history of stability in design the Santa Barbara remains popular in the association as a "class boat". The portability of the Santa Barbara is enhanced due to the removable mast, rudder and keel. Most sedans or coupes can transport your yacht to the nearest pond for a day of sailing.
Gammon Iron is offline Find More Posts by Gammon Iron