This thread is privately moderated by BacklashRC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 07, 2016, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by BacklashRC
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Discussion
Hernia Repair Using Mesh

I am considering having an umbilical hernia repaired using the mesh technique. I have read nothing but horror stories on the web concerning the use of mesh, but the product is used in most modern hernia repairs. (And typically only those with a bad experience will post to the web.)

I thought that some of my fellow RC'ers, having had a little more than some life experience, might have had experience with mesh repairs that they might be willing to share.

I am concerned about long term pain lingering after the surgery, ongoing infection, adhesion of the bowels to the mesh creating complication, migration of the mesh, hematoma, etc..

Basically, did the surgery and recovery go well for you? Are you back to full fitness afterwards, and if not, why not?
BacklashRC is offline Find More Posts by BacklashRC
Old Jul 07, 2016, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by Arkitexas
Lone Star Flyer
Bryan, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
227 Posts
I have had three hernia repairs (2 inguinal, 1 umbilical), each of which included mesh. No lifting for a month, several weeks of soreness, an occasional "pulling" sensation for a year, two years to regain 90% of nerve sensation, & no complications. It is pure misery living with a hernia (and dangerous). I am 100% pleased with the results and would not hesitate to visit the doc again if another one popped up (pun intended).
Arkitexas is offline Find More Posts by Arkitexas
Old Jul 07, 2016, 01:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitexas View Post
I have had three hernia repairs (2 inguinal, 1 umbilical), each of which included mesh. No lifting for a month, several weeks of soreness, an occasional "pulling" sensation for a year, two years to regain 90% of nerve sensation, & no complications. It is pure misery living with a hernia (and dangerous). I am 100% pleased with the results and would not hesitate to visit the doc again if another one popped up (pun intended).

Thanks for the reply. How long ago were the repairs done?
Old Jul 08, 2016, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by dll932
Really?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
347 Posts
Maybe 10 years ago I found a bulge on the left side of my lower abdomen after carrying an 80 pound safe. There was no pain at all but I figured I'd better do something about it. I went to see a surgeon who told me they could put in a mesh patch as an outpatient procedure. A few weeks later I went in and had it done and a couple hours later I was home. I really never felt much pain at all-in fact, I was tuckpointing my house the same day. Never had any problems after, can't even see a scar.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jul 08, 2016, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by Arkitexas
Lone Star Flyer
Bryan, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacklashRC View Post
Thanks for the reply. How long ago were the repairs done?
First inguinal in 2004, the others together in 2010.
Arkitexas is offline Find More Posts by Arkitexas
Old Jul 08, 2016, 11:25 AM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Well, two out of two positive reports! That is a great thing as it looks like I have no choice Thanks for the replies.
Old Jul 08, 2016, 02:07 PM
Really?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
347 Posts
Quote:
Well, two out of two positive reports! That is a great thing as it looks like I have no choice Thanks for the replies.
This is one of those things nobody tells you about as a kid-"when you're about middle aged, you'll get a hernia." I say that because whenever I tell people about it, they say "oh yeah-I had that too!"
Old Jul 08, 2016, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
7,052 Posts
If you have one, get it fixed as soon as practical. I knew an 84 year old woman with one the size of a grapefruit. She was too old and the hernia to big to fix without significant danger to her life.
I had one fixed about 11 years ago. First two weeks was the pain hurdle. No pain unless I moved. Fairly significant pain going from laying down to sitting up. No pain just standing and walking around. No problems except I had a piece of mesh poke through. Though I had a splinter, then noticed it was a short wire from the mesh that had worked its way out. Makes me wonder what the rest of it is doing.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jul 10, 2016, 08:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
If you have one, get it fixed as soon as practical. I knew an 84 year old woman with one the size of a grapefruit. She was too old and the hernia to big to fix without significant danger to her life.
I had one fixed about 11 years ago. First two weeks was the pain hurdle. No pain unless I moved. Fairly significant pain going from laying down to sitting up. No pain just standing and walking around. No problems except I had a piece of mesh poke through. Though I had a splinter, then noticed it was a short wire from the mesh that had worked its way out. Makes me wonder what the rest of it is doing.

Holy smokes!, That is not reassuring :-)
Old Jul 12, 2016, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by HeretiCorp
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Jun 2016
34 Posts
My wife had a hernia repair with mesh last year, recovery was quick, pain has been manageable and a year later is almost nonexistent.

I would definitely recommend the procedure.
HeretiCorp is offline Find More Posts by HeretiCorp
Old Jul 12, 2016, 08:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
That is good to hear. The day is quickly approaching (27th)
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:07 PM
Really?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
347 Posts
Quote:
That is good to hear. The day is quickly approaching (27th)
My worst problem was it itched where they shaved me.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by HeretiCorp
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Jun 2016
34 Posts
I can speak from experience that having hair grow back in sensitive places is incredibly irritating.
HeretiCorp is offline Find More Posts by HeretiCorp
Old Jul 13, 2016, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by wingman69
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,131 Posts
Here's some comic relief for you.
good luck with your surgery.
Buddy Hackett - A Guy Goes to the Doctor (1 min 53 sec)
wingman69 is offline Find More Posts by wingman69
Old Jul 13, 2016, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by Robert Schuler
Joined Jun 2016
11 Posts
I went 23 years with a busted gut. Got the mesh 16 years ago. No problems... I do heavy lifting everyday.... R.
Robert Schuler is offline Find More Posts by Robert Schuler