Old May 11, 2016, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by Bking1340
South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
535 Posts
Discussion
Multirotor fpv newbie experience

Maybe some help to another newbie.

Been flying heli`s (Align range from 250 to 700 size) for 7 years and multirotors (Tri`s to octo`s) for 6 years - 3d on the deck etc.

A year ago I tried fpv with a 250 size quad. It was the most difficult thing for me to overcome - not even smacking around my heli`s was this difficult.
The problem from my experience:
I was flying too high - Anything higher than a house, I could not make out my speed and height.
Speed too slow - I was flying way too slow and especially when flying high I could not see clearly if my quad is tilting in the wrong direction.
Camera tilt - My camera was looking straight forward.
Horizon mode - I`m flying much better with rate.

What I did is to change my camera angle up to 15-20 degrees. I will fly away from me as low as possible (for me it was about half a metre) and land. Removed my goggles and fly back towards me. Did this a few times. After that I incorporate some turns and away I go.
Now I`m flying low down and high up without any issues.
This is addictive.
Bking1340 is offline Find More Posts by Bking1340
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2016, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by AntDX316
Joined Sep 2014
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking1340 View Post
Maybe some help to another newbie.

Been flying heli`s (Align range from 250 to 700 size) for 7 years and multirotors (Tri`s to octo`s) for 6 years - 3d on the deck etc.

A year ago I tried fpv with a 250 size quad. It was the most difficult thing for me to overcome - not even smacking around my heli`s was this difficult.
The problem from my experience:
I was flying too high - Anything higher than a house, I could not make out my speed and height.
Speed too slow - I was flying way too slow and especially when flying high I could not see clearly if my quad is tilting in the wrong direction.
Camera tilt - My camera was looking straight forward.
Horizon mode - I`m flying much better with rate.

What I did is to change my camera angle up to 15-20 degrees. I will fly away from me as low as possible (for me it was about half a metre) and land. Removed my goggles and fly back towards me. Did this a few times. After that I incorporate some turns and away I go.
Now I`m flying low down and high up without any issues.
This is addictive.
I think your camera focus could be off. I think your goggles aren't good.

Could be both. When I was flying monitor for years... I only went fatshark because 270, anything below 39m was scary.

Now 39m is kind of too high. You have to be able to make out details and if your setup can't show the details in the grass then you cannot fly low w/o an altitude OSD.
AntDX316 is offline Find More Posts by AntDX316
Old May 12, 2016, 06:03 AM
Find More Posts by Bking1340
South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
535 Posts
I think my cam`s were no good - only flying now with 1177`s and runcam`s which are a bunch better than what I had.
Now I can fly up high, but I think when you start out (my personal experience), you must try to keep it low, due to the fact that it`s more difficult to measure distance when you are too high.
Bking1340 is offline Find More Posts by Bking1340
Last edited by Bking1340; May 12, 2016 at 06:08 AM.