New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2016, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by Snetzka
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
109 Posts
Idea
Laminating Products.

Well last week I got given the task of laminating some passes for an event which got me thinking...

For those of you blissfully non aware of Laminating pouches - they are basically two sheets of plastic (80 or 125 microns thick) with adhesive inside. There are two variants Hot or Cold set.

The hot set (which is the type I am using) are passed through a set of heated rollers which compress and heat at the same time, the glue melts and the two half's are bonded together. Normally a photograph or document is inserted between the two sheets which is then protected from the elements when sealed.

The cold set type is similar except heated rollers are not required and they work on pressure.

Anyway... looking at the heating device it was obvious I was not going to get anything thick into my plastic sandwich (like Carbon Fibre rods..)

So a quick experiment with a household iron and two tea-towels proved the process.

The photos continue the story...

Disclaimer -

This is an idea for discussion - I am not saying it is a perfect solution to anything... But with this product available in sizes up to A0 that's enough to produce a half / wing.... or as a stiffener bonded to existing wings... Food for thought....
Snetzka is offline Find More Posts by Snetzka
Last edited by Snetzka; Apr 17, 2016 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Missing words...
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2016, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by ZTEX
Joined Aug 2013
546 Posts
Very good idea !
Bravo!
I think that lamination sheets in different colors are available as well .
Thanks
ZTEX is offline Find More Posts by ZTEX
Old Apr 17, 2016, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by ZTEX
Joined Aug 2013
546 Posts
Here is an extension to the lamination idea .
This is about the technology of executing that with perfect smoot surface result.
It's a combination betwin lamination and vacuum bagging .
As is evident from the skatch there are two rectangular wooden frames and the laminating foil is pretightened on them. Just put the CF wing/ tail frame betwin foiled frames with foiled parts against each other . Pull the air out with large plastic syringe. The vacuum betwin lamination sheets and ambient air pressure will do the rest of the job.

The above instructions aren't tested yet
ZTEX is offline Find More Posts by ZTEX
Last edited by ZTEX; Apr 17, 2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by therealthing691
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,549 Posts
Great ideas Mike and a harder/stiffer medium makes sense I think it might produce better thrust if used on a wing
therealthing691 is online now Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Apr 18, 2016, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
5,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealthing691 View Post
Great ideas Mike and a harder/stiffer medium makes sense I think it might produce better thrust if used on a wing
Interesting

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Apr 24, 2016, 08:41 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
109 Posts
Managed an hour at the local field this morning, testing the laminated tail. Its a lot stiffer than the standard tail assembly and needed to be lowered considerably before the bird flew at a respectable angle... But once the correct angle was found it proved to be very good.

Could be a quick / easy tail assembly, and seems very strong..
Last edited by Snetzka; Apr 24, 2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 01:14 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,549 Posts
the setup you have designed I think will work well .I think I will try that on the tail to get used to the laminating material then I would love to try a wing out of it
cheers Brian
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:02 AM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
109 Posts
For those of you wondering about the compatibility of Rip-stop nylon and the laminating material as i was...

Experiment today was laminating both sides of the rip-stop (i.e Rip-Stop sandwich - RH side of photot) and single sided (one side of laminating material - LH side of photo) on to Rip-Stop.

Well the sandwich adhesion is very good, as is the single side. (The strange pattern on the single side is from the glue melting into the tea towel )

Wings look do-able Brian...
Old Apr 26, 2016, 04:46 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,549 Posts
oooooo aaaaaa better hide the tea towel sounds good Mike . regards Brian
Old Apr 26, 2016, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
15,895 Posts
Don't know if it's the same stuff, but you can get Doculam ,or other name brands, from Staples. This comes in 13 to 18 in. rolls. It's a stickyback film where you peel the back off and stick it on whatever you want. I use it on foam for a smooth finish and strength.
Can be painted on directly.
I can see it being used for this, with the carbon rods for shape, etc.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 26, 2016, 09:02 PM
Wid
Find More Posts by Wid
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
953 Posts
Laminating Film source

I have just started using laminating film for dynamic soaring EPP foam gliders. It has AMAZING potential .

My ideal orni will be able to fly beside a glider like this (6 lb, 60"), just as the Ravens were out flying me yesterday. But this 6 seconds shows how tough lam film can be and this is a link for Aloft Hobbies that sell the stuff here. Heat activated adhesive.

JW crash, bounce, bounce, bounce, recover (0 min 7 sec)
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid