Old Apr 05, 2016, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by ThatTricopterGuy
A. Benavi
Joined Jan 2016
28 Posts
Discussion
EPP Wings

I typically fly multirotrs, but recently I have wanted to get into fixed wing flight. I like wings because they are one huge lump and seem like they would be far more durable than traditional designs (correct me if I am wrong). I remember the original Ritewing Zephyr being made of EPP foam, which is good at taking hits. These days, it looks like the zephyr and other similarly sized wings are made out of EPO/EPOR, which is stiffer but cracks more easily. Is there still a good 48-ish inch wing out there made of EPP? Does it really matter that much anyway? I was hoping to get an EPP wing because I want something FPV capable, but I have a feeling an airplane noob like me will be crashing at least a bit, and I want something tough.

Thanks!
ThatTricopterGuy is offline Find More Posts by ThatTricopterGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2016, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by parajared
no guts no glory
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2013
1,394 Posts
Zephyr 1 2 and 3 are all EPO.

EPP is great on the smaller wings (sub 1 meter wingspan), but starts to become a floppy PITA as the aircraft goes up in size and speed. This plays a role in high speed dives as you get kind of a double input of sorts. Like you are blazing along and yank the wing and then you get a second little blip trying to pull you around again or just a case of the wobbles.

EPO is really good, but when you crash sometimes it bows in a way that you can't bend back and gets perma-divots compared to EPP which always flexes back to its true form and never divots.

You can get divots out of EPO by pouring boiling water on it (sometimes) or just wadding some more EPO and gorilla glue into the hole then sanding everything down.

Bigger wings gain flight time/endurance stability in the wind but suffer from breaking easier when crashed and needing more clever re-enforcement to keep them from being flappers. Little wings are squirrely little bastards but IMO more fun.

I consider my HK Bonsai build (only 24 inch wingspan) to be one of my most successful most fun FPV aircraft. The result was a little screamer that scooted along at about 95mph but at the expense of only lasting about 2-3 minutes before battery swap. It even took a few hits that had to be in the 90mph range without damage. Also the Bosai wasn't much fun when it was windy out.
parajared is offline Find More Posts by parajared
Old Apr 07, 2016, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
32,822 Posts
Zephyr 1 was wire cut EPP, not molded EPO. EPP wings can be built quite rigidly by using curved
ribbon spars, and appropriate covering. Nothing can match their durability. That's why
they're used for slope combat.

For a 48" EPP chevron wing, I recommend the Windrider Bee 2. They've been used
for FPV quite successfully, but there's no wide bluntnose version so gear installation is
a little trickier. Windrider is working on the new "Explorer" to address that.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
Old Apr 07, 2016, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by leadfeather
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
10,406 Posts
Fancy Foam has an epp kit specifically for FPV called the Nemesis. Very efficient FPV platform.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Apr 07, 2016, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
and helis!
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
838 Posts
Check out sweepwings.com. He has 4 wings, a 60", 48", 37" and a 26" span, all EPP.
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Apr 11, 2016, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by ThatTricopterGuy
A. Benavi
Joined Jan 2016
28 Posts
Thanks guys! Ill check all of it out. I think I like the look of the sweepwings flinch, but Ill be doing more research
ThatTricopterGuy is offline Find More Posts by ThatTricopterGuy