SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:11 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,646 Posts
That's awesome flying!

It's a little overpowered as a model, and sometimes, that's a really, really good thing !

Cheers and thanks for sharing
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:18 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,245 Posts
Fancy stick work, Mr. Savage
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:42 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
That's awesome flying!

It's a little overpowered as a model, and sometimes, that's a really, really good thing !

Cheers and thanks for sharing
Thanks very much for your kind comments. Remember, it's only overpowered if you shove the left stick too far forward LOL. She'll fly scale all day long but if you want to let the big dog eat, you can let 'er rip.

I'd have a hard time knocking a plane that performs too well.

The video was really about what a great value this little plane is for the money and how well it flies at it's price point. It is very capable and IMHO is one of the best flying foamie warbirds. Other brands may pay more attention to scale details but none fly better.

Cheers and happy flying!
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:48 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Savage View Post
Remember, it's only overpowered if you shove the left stick too far forward LOL. She'll fly scale all day long but if you want to let the big dog eat, you can let 'er rip.

The video was really about what a great value this little plane is for the money and how well it flies at it's price point. It is very capable and IMHO is one of the best flying foamie warbirds. Other brands may pay more attention to scale details but none fly better.

Cheers and happy flying!
I couldn't have said it better myself...I run mine pretty hard (all stock except for the PZ Corsair 3-bladed prop) and it is an absolute blast to fly

Cheers
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:21 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,301 Posts
Oh yea!! Mine is maximun throw in horns, arms, servo endpoints. When i want speed 10x10e. When i want To do some 3d corsair 3 blade prop. Everithing stock. I cant hover on stock power but easy rolling circles, ke, spins,

Y love my T smooth and easy scale flying. And just add more throw and you got a very good aerobatic sport plane. I love that. Is the best.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:22 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,301 Posts
some1 have a 30a stock esc pulled out from the jug and want to sell it cheap to me ??
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,213 Posts
Quote:
I'd have a hard time knocking a plane that performs too well.

Cheers and happy flying!
Yup, thats some impressive flying with the T-28!

Do you have any mixes set up?
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Yup, thats some impressive flying with the T-28!

Do you have any mixes set up?
Thanks for the kind comment. Nope, no mixes, just 125% on the throws and 30% expo everywhere. The only mixes I use are in my thumbs. Same for Harv who flew the Trojan for this video.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:18 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Fancy stick work, Mr. Savage
Thanks for watching the video! A little shaky with the camera but good enough to show how this little bird can fly. Still not as fast as my little Wildcat but a far better flyer.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:23 AM
Noob
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice on a 10x10e for the stock setup. It added a nice bit of speed and maneuverability to the flights.

I did notice a relatively sharp drop in flight times per battery, but I guess that's to be expected pulling more amps.

With the little kick in the butt from the new prop, maybe I'll scratch build a new S-Cub from my old overly crashed/glued one instead of moving the Power 10 to the Trojan. The more the merrier in the hanger

I've got an AXN Cloud Floater on the way, so the three will make a nice combo of variable flight characteristics.
Oakstone is offline Find More Posts by Oakstone
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:09 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the kind comment. Nope, no mixes, just 125% on the throws and 30% expo everywhere. The only mixes I use are in my thumbs. Same for Harv who flew the Trojan for this video.
LOL. I only have one throw too. Both lows and high are the same setting in case a switch gets bumped. Thumbs do the rest. I have less expo on the rudder than you do. I like less than 10 since thats the throttle thumb and I like way less yank on my throttle thumb to turn.
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:10 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
LOL. I only have one throw too. Both lows and high are the same setting in case a switch gets bumped. Thumbs do the rest. I have less expo on the rudder than you do. I like less than 10 since thats the throttle thumb and I like way less yank on my throttle thumb to turn.
Whatever works for you. To be honest, I don't get too carried away when setting up the radio on these little foamies. I just max out the throws and give 'er. I take more care when setting up larger balsa planes to make sure the control surfaces all move exactly as far as they should, dial in some expo that's appropriate for each control surface and fly. The only planes I would use a mix for are larger high wing planes where I'll mix in some rudder with the ailerons and to add some aileron differential. With the planes I have, I haven't had to address the coupling issue in knife edge because they are so close that my thumbs can take care of it. I suppose it would be more critical on a Pattern Ship.

The amount of "yank" you use isn't affected by expo. It only serves to give you a bit of a cushion when the sticks are near the middle so that you are less likely to input elevator when using the ailerons, etc. The travel of the control surfaces in relation to stick input remains the same.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,213 Posts
Quote:
OK, it's good to know what the plane is capable of! I think I'll go crank up my throws some more, I don't get enough rudder to knife edge like that. Or maybe enough speed with my stock setup. Or maybe both :-)
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:48 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
OK, it's good to know what the plane is capable of! I think I'll go crank up my throws some more, I don't get enough rudder to knife edge like that. Or maybe enough speed with my stock setup. Or maybe both :-)
I'd play around with it a bit, mine did an awesome knife edge right out of the box with stock everything. As a matter of fact, it was its ability to knife edge and fly so well when stock that made me want to hop it up. Some planes aren't worth doing performance upgrades to, this one is.

Just make sure that your control rods are positioned in the holes on the control horns that allow for maximum travel.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:31 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Whew! Just put my wattmeter on my new setup. Heads up .25speed, 45a esc, 8x8 prop, 4s 2800 30c batt. Pulled 827 watts @ 54 amps, then 843 @56!! I need a bigger esc, but the one I ave is holding up now. It's fast
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness