HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 13, 2014, 01:45 AM
Registered User
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Apr 2014
101 Posts
Discussion
Sony RX 100 Setup and Gimbal Information

I am currently flying a Xaircraft X650 Pro with Stella gimbal and GoPro and am very happy with the aircraft and gimbal, but wanting to upgrade the AP by way of a different camera or a RageCam lens change on the GoPro. Hence my question.
Has anyone used a Sony RX 100 and gimbal on a quad/multi rotor? I am not so much wanting to use it for FPV flying as opposed to finding the FPV view extremely useful for framing stills and vids.
If it can be used PFV for AP work?
What gimbal you used?
Can the camera be operated remotely (ie zoom, shutter and vid)?
How was the quality of the stills and vids? Were you please with the set up?
I am also considering a SONY NEX 7 but that would require a bigger MR to maintain 15 to 20 minute of flight time.

Thanks,
Steve
SteveinUtah is online now Find More Posts by SteveinUtah
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2014, 01:14 PM
Registered User
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Apr 2014
101 Posts
Crickets????

Anyone?
SteveinUtah is online now Find More Posts by SteveinUtah
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 01:40 PM
Registered User
CG Photo's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,330 Posts
There is a huge cost to stepping up from the Gopro. It takes a much larger gimbal to run the RX100s and this with the larger camera can easily add 700 grams over a gopro setup to the aircraft. I've used the NEX 5n, RX100 V3 and RX100 V3. For aerial video I am still using the H3B Gopro on DJI 2D and 3D gimbals. For aerial stills I am now using a fixed RX100 V3 and this is my favorite aerial stills camera now. I have not been happy with what I can do with the Alexmos controlled gimbals so far.

You can remote control the RX100 V2 and V3 with a remote from http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/ The RX100 V1 has it's hdmi out connector right next to the mounting bolt on the bottom. Totally useless. The RX100 V2 & V3 have the port on the right side so it can be used on a gimbal. I use a HDMI to composite converter to get video feed to my DJI video downlink for framing the camera.

Don't buy the RX100 V1 for aerial work, but the V2 and V3 models are a great choice in a very light weight camera.
CG Photo is offline Find More Posts by CG Photo
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 04:50 PM
Always Excel >>>
BenHayat's Avatar
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo View Post
There is a huge cost to stepping up from the Gopro. It takes a much larger gimbal to run the RX100s and this with the larger camera can easily add 700 grams over a gopro setup to the aircraft. I've used the NEX 5n, RX100 V3 and RX100 V3. For aerial video I am still using the H3B Gopro on DJI 2D and 3D gimbals. For aerial stills I am now using a fixed RX100 V3 and this is my favorite aerial stills camera now. I have not been happy with what I can do with the Alexmos controlled gimbals so far.

You can remote control the RX100 V2 and V3 with a remote from http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/ The RX100 V1 has it's hdmi out connector right next to the mounting bolt on the bottom. Totally useless. The RX100 V2 & V3 have the port on the right side so it can be used on a gimbal. I use a HDMI to composite converter to get video feed to my DJI video downlink for framing the camera.

Don't buy the RX100 V1 for aerial work, but the V2 and V3 models are a great choice in a very light weight camera.
So from reading your comment, are you saying for Aerial "Video" you prefer the GP platform and for "AP", you like RX100 better? Did I understand you correctly?
Thanks!
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:54 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2014
10 Posts
Subscribed. I'm on the same mission to upgrade from the go pro.
webarchitect is offline Find More Posts by webarchitect
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:30 AM
Registered User
CG Photo's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
So from reading your comment, are you saying for Aerial "Video" you prefer the GP platform and for "AP", you like RX100 better? Did I understand you correctly?
Thanks!
For aerial still photos, the RX100 is a really good camera to work with. For video, the gimbal is critical to the end result. On the ground I prefer the video from the RX100, but in the air it is hard to beat the combination of the Gopro and DJI gimbal for its easy of use and overall low weight. If you process the video well, you can get some good results.

At this point the only option for gimbal for the RX100 camera is something with an alexmos controller. These controllers are really finicky to work with. Sometimes I can get good footage but sometimes I get crap. The camera has to be in exactly the right place on the gimbal.

With the Gopro and DJI gimbal, I just put on the camera and go fly. It works every time. So I run the Gopro for video and switch to the RX100 for stills.
CG Photo is offline Find More Posts by CG Photo
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 06:41 AM
Always Excel >>>
BenHayat's Avatar
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo View Post
For aerial still photos, the RX100 is a really good camera to work with. For video, the gimbal is critical to the end result. On the ground I prefer the video from the RX100, but in the air it is hard to beat the combination of the Gopro and DJI gimbal for its easy of use and overall low weight. If you process the video well, you can get some good results.

At this point the only option for gimbal for the RX100 camera is something with an alexmos controller. These controllers are really finicky to work with. Sometimes I can get good footage but sometimes I get crap. The camera has to be in exactly the right place on the gimbal.

With the Gopro and DJI gimbal, I just put on the camera and go fly. It works every time. So I run the Gopro for video and switch to the RX100 for stills.
Thank you. Excellent conclusion.
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:32 PM
Registered User
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Apr 2014
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo View Post
There is a huge cost to stepping up from the Gopro. It takes a much larger gimbal to run the RX100s and this with the larger camera can easily add 700 grams over a gopro setup to the aircraft. I've used the NEX 5n, RX100 V3 and RX100 V3. For aerial video I am still using the H3B Gopro on DJI 2D and 3D gimbals. For aerial stills I am now using a fixed RX100 V3 and this is my favorite aerial stills camera now. I have not been happy with what I can do with the Alexmos controlled gimbals so far.

You can remote control the RX100 V2 and V3 with a remote from http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/ The RX100 V1 has it's hdmi out connector right next to the mounting bolt on the bottom. Totally useless. The RX100 V2 & V3 have the port on the right side so it can be used on a gimbal. I use a HDMI to composite converter to get video feed to my DJI video downlink for framing the camera.

Don't buy the RX100 V1 for aerial work, but the V2 and V3 models are a great choice in a very light weight camera.
Thanks for the input CG, it sounds like I am still on the hunt for a vid camera/gimbal set up. In fact I think I will just go with the 5.4 RageCam lens mod for the GoPro and stick with the Stella gimbal I am currently flying for vids and am very happy with the results.

From your post, I will look at the RX 100 v 2 or 3 with a single axis mount for stills and wait a bit for a better vid gimbal to be developed for the RX 100.

Any particular suggestions for a single axis gimbal for the RX 100?

The information is greatly appreciated.

Steve
SteveinUtah is online now Find More Posts by SteveinUtah
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2014, 02:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2014
27 Posts
Fro m what I was told the weight is a challenge and to strike a balance in flight time

Gimbal scheduled to be released Sep-Oct timeframe
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2234737
juliet is offline Find More Posts by juliet
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Full setup! GotHeliRC 3 axis gimbal 32bit, sony nex-5t. HDMI converter + control. Ori Paamoni Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Jul 24, 2014 11:12 PM
Discussion Sony RX-100 for aerial photography Jockela Aerial Photography 27 Nov 12, 2013 08:53 PM
For Sale FG-100 Carbon Fiber 4008 Brushless Gimbal for Sony Nex5 NEX7 Panasonic GH2 FPV fotogear302 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 9 Apr 24, 2013 12:01 AM
Discussion Sony RX-100 Test Flight jeffscholl Aerial Photography 10 Feb 24, 2013 03:03 PM