HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2014, 10:30 AM
Olz
Joined Sep 2012
45 Posts
Help!
FPV setups?

Heya everyone!

I have saved up a budget of about 250 to spend on an FPV setup. I have 2 aircraft in mind, Firstly my TBS caipranha and also a bixler 2. But i'm still not sure which frequency to opt for. Im going to be using my DX6i which i know does not have much range.

Requirments
Idealy i want a setup that will reliably work upto a mile or so, prefferably using circualrly polarised antennas. I need a full setup, iether 900mhz or 5.8 but not too sure, i guess i may go behind trees but not totally sure. I want an easily portable setup as my caipranha i can easily strap to my backpack and take with me, so not too keen on a big bulky groundstation, idealy also i would like to be able to add onto the setup incase i wanted say 5 miles of range if i ever get the urge to go the far (by that point i will probably have a 35mhz control setup or maybe an lrs!) I really love the idea of goggles, i thought i had a monitor i coud use but it will blue screen, idealy im looking for a simple reliable setup with around a mile of range, small and prefferably if my budget stretches with goggles, if needed i can stretch to 350 if i see fit but idealy 300 and below.

Plug and play
everything needs to be easily portable
1 mile of range
easy and reliable upto a mile
prefferably goggles
camera

So yeah, what products fit the job, Is there a full setup i can get with all that i want and if not please may someone link products? Thanks a bunch everyone!

- olly
Olz is offline Find More Posts by Olz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2014, 11:51 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
your radio probably wont get you a mile. it might... it might not... unless you have a RTH OSD, you'll be risking everything to find out.

Bixler is a great plane to start up with.

given the budget which is going to be quite tight, you can get cheap everything, or a few select good items. Goggles for instance, those are probably 200GBP for a good set, Thats a big chunk of your budget. You could get some cruddy ones for as little as half that, I wouldnt... I would grab a cheap monitor thats always good to have, and fly with that till you can afford the nicer goggles later.

as for frequency, 900 or 1.3ghz will be the end game, but short term it will step on your 2.4ghz control, further decreasing the chances of you seeing a mile. But if you go 5.8ghz you'll get whatever the full range of your radio is, but you may find yourself replacing it all if you go to a LRS.

Unfortunately, most things in this hobby are a tradeoff of cheaper now, replace later.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Mar 03, 2014, 04:22 PM
Olz
Joined Sep 2012
45 Posts
Oh, okay thanks a bunch for the reply! So would any of the fatshark systems get me upto a mile or so of range reliably? that you know of, or are there any other google setups that have decent range?? thanks !
Old Mar 03, 2014, 05:41 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,870 Posts
260 sterling is a pretty good budget to be honest!

I'd recommend you go for some 5.8ghz 200mW Vtx and a pair of Foxtech Skyzone goggles with two Skew Plannar Wheels from Circular Wireless or if they are a bit too pricey then some that fit the budget but make sure you get two SPW's as tests have proven that the two SPW's give greater signal than the Clover Leaf and SPW. You can also opt for a small 5-7 Turn helical and run the helical and SPW at the same time using the diversity that the Skyzone goggles offer. Just be warned though that the video signal will easily go out past the range of your DX6 so I'd set a range by using a visual point that's within the known range of your DX6 and don't fly past that point without a RTH function.

I personally like the RangeLink LRS for my Rc control as it's easy to setup and will easily out-fly the range of the video signal.

As for the plane, as you said you will want to go to 5 miles or so down the track I'd choose the BixlerII and I'm flying one at the moment and they are a fantastic platform for your FPV needs.

As for the monitor, you can use it as a back up or for people to watch your flights on and for using it to fly I personally wouldn't recommend it cause for me I find anything outside of the screen too distracting and that I get a much more realistic feel by using the goggles.

I know the goggles are pretty pricey at first but they are definately a once off purchase and they will last you a fair while in the hobby and down the track if you find that you just don't enjoy FPV you will be able to sell the gear on pretty easily. If I were to buy new goggles I would go straight towards the Skyzones for their available functions and the diversity without the need for a ground station and the little novelty of the camera they have on their front so you don't need to take them off to place the plane on the ground ect so you don't need to let your eyes adjust to the light ect.

I use Foxtech AIO's myself and have had them since 2010 and they haven't failed me yet! I do however have a few sunburn marks in them from being a bit too careless with them on sunny days but it doesn't affect the vision at all.

So yeah, I hope this helps and welcome to the addiction.......... I mean hobby!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Mar 03, 2014, 09:15 PM
Joined Sep 2012
208 Posts
Ia word of caution on the skyzones... Mine are a bit fuzzy. I like mine but wouldn't recommend them.
Northern Flier is offline Find More Posts by Northern Flier
Old Mar 04, 2014, 01:52 AM
Olz
Joined Sep 2012
45 Posts
Wow thanks a bunch for the advice I shall look into that!
Old Mar 04, 2014, 04:29 PM
7 foot floater
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Mar 2013
487 Posts
I fly 2 miles with my dx6i, 5.8g 400mw setup on a bixler 2 quite often, now that I have RTH I plan to go much farther. To get that much range from a dx6i you'll have to upgrade the antenna. I put a 7dbi patch on it and get approx. 2x the range over stock, and keep a 3dbi whip for normal LOS flying. I use a cheap ebay 4.3" LCD, cost $20, for video, and my whole setup including plane cost less than $250.
rudyauction509 is offline Find More Posts by rudyauction509
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2014, 06:42 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,183 Posts
Go with 5.8Ghz, it's the frequency with the least hassle (Both in terms of RF interference and physical hardware) and will get you a mile if you get a directional antenna.

My new 1.3Ghz has been put in the backburner because it reduced the range of my FrSky down to 100m even with the 1400 LPF
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2014, 03:09 AM
Joined Jul 2007
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Go with 5.8Ghz, it's the frequency with the least hassle (Both in terms of RF interference and physical hardware) and will get you a mile if you get a directional antenna.

My new 1.3Ghz has been put in the backburner because it reduced the range of my FrSky down to 100m even with the 1400 LPF
How far away did you mount your 1.3ghz tx?
mons2b is offline Find More Posts by mons2b
Old Mar 05, 2014, 07:47 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mons2b View Post
How far away did you mount your 1.3ghz tx?
It's a quad so there's barely any room. They're on opposite arms so around six or seven inches from the 1.3. But even when moved them around and both FrSky antennas were beneath the two rear arms (10-11 inches from the 1.3 antenna), there's barely any improvement.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2014, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
the equation changes if you are talking about directional high gain antennas. sacrifices can be made for additional range.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:17 AM
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
35 Posts
Can 5.8ghz handle trees, buildings, etc?
Smoke3006 is offline Find More Posts by Smoke3006
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:24 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
But if you go 5.8ghz you'll get whatever the full range of your radio is.
this is False when I started out with dx6i i could go further than I could see without failsafes as soon as I added 5.8 250mw video transmitter I hit failsafe as close as 300 feet away with a spektrum park flyer receiver and 1/4 mile with a full range spektrum receiver. I had about 14 inches separation between rx and vtx that also plays a big role on your distance
Pkitup is offline Find More Posts by Pkitup
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:26 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke3006 View Post
Can 5.8ghz handle trees, buildings, etc?
trees when wet with leaves cause a lot of interference - when bare the cause some - buildings kill it completely
Pkitup is offline Find More Posts by Pkitup
Old Mar 10, 2014, 03:57 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkitup View Post
this is false when i started out with dx6i i could go further than i could see without failsafes as soon as i added 5.8 250mw video transmitter i hit failsafe as close as 300 feet away with a spektrum park flyer receiver and 1/4 mile with a full range spektrum receiver. I had about 14 inches separation between rx and vtx that also plays a big role on your distance
dsm2?
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'