HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2013, 08:35 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,528 Posts
Discussion
A good cheap glider?

Whats a good cheap glider with a pusher prop or a folding front prop?? Im just looking for a regular side electric glider that I can use for mounting my key chain camera on for some cool aerial photography. Im not doing FPV, im just videoing.

Some links would be great.
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2013, 08:54 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,181 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2039623

99$ shipped for the club glider - not a bad deal.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:18 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,988 Posts
If that's all you need why not an Easy Glider Pro, this one comes with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/M214226-Easy...item3cd855b308
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:24 AM
Spool 'er up!
United States, FL, Oxford
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
Everyone's idea of "cheap" is different, but if you're leaning towards a pusher the Airfield Extreme Surfer would be a viable option. Large 2.4m wingspan with the option to be be prop or EDF powered. Even has a built in front hatch for mounting your camera! Available in Kit or ARF from Nitro Planes. Here's a promotional video with links in the description:

Airfield Extreme Surfer 2400mm Glider with EDF or Prop Option (5 min 18 sec)
Paul1PA is offline Find More Posts by Paul1PA
Old Nov 20, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,598 Posts
Well? If the camera mount and video is the driving purpose there are many solid choices similar to the Bixler from Hobby King and its clones. I had a chance to fly one and enjoyed it but it could use more power for cruising around since it doesn't really soar very well. A better choice if you want to actually try your hand at soaring would be something more like a Radian or a Calypso. They are a bit more expensive but the performance is significantly better and, if you are going with a PNP, the quality is probably better though both, like virtually every PNP, have been shipped with the occasional bad servo or other component. Both are available from several vendors and, if you already have electronics you can use, you can find the kit versions on sale for a bit more than a Bixler PNP. If you narrow your search a bit I'm sure we can make more specific suggestions.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
This is my favorite electric glider. There's a nice thread in rcgroups.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:33 AM
Joined May 2006
5 Posts
Good Cheap Glider?

My favorite is the Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady. It lends itself well to the addition of a power pod on top either electric or a Cox .049 motor. If I'm not mistaken, it's been available for some time as an ARF. I've owned several of these models back when they were exclusively in kit form. Believe it or not, I trained my 6 YO daughter on the Gentle Lady many years ago. I've also flown the Gentle Lady I modified to sport an old Enya .09 glow motor way back in the early 1980's. It handled it well.

I'm also partial to the Carl Goldberg Sophisticated Lady which is currently available as an ARF. It too, can be equipped with a power pod. Both are 2-meter, two-channel gliders.

If I had to find anything that can be considered a "con", it's that they can thermal TOO well in certain lift conditions. Gentlemen, they can go out of sight if your thermal is a real "boomer" requiring the pilot to scoot out of it real fast. At times, I've had to go full down elevator with full trim AND add the same with rudder to get out of these thermals.

Although the "foamies" are very good flyers and do have a place in the RC flying world, I find that the stresses after a few flights begin to compress the foam junction between the wing roots and the fuselage and makes the wing very "sloppy" in that it's no longer a tight fit. The flight characteristics change for the worse.

Dave Bryer
daveb572 is offline Find More Posts by daveb572