SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:14 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,787 Posts
No problem with my Futaba 10C + DM8 DSM2 module, either. BTW - all of Spektrum's DSMX receivers are DSM2 compatible.

Hey Coreman - are you gonna crank up the heat in the house & chase some 'furnace thermals'? Riding one all the way to the ceiling would be sorta like specking it out!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:52 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
No problem with my Futaba 10C + DM8 DSM2 module, either. BTW - all of Spektrum's DSMX receivers are DSM2 compatible.

Hey Coreman - are you gonna crank up the heat in the house & chase some 'furnace thermals'? Riding one all the way to the ceiling would be sorta like specking it out!

Joel
I had originally ordered this for my 4yo granddaughter but I think it's too twitchy for her. Got her a 2wd 1/18th scale truck instead. Her mom volunteered to use it. I hope to get the extra batteries monday and then wednesday night get the CG figured out at one of the local indoor sessions and then I'll try it in the house again. I kept dropping a wing harriering
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:45 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I kept dropping a wing harriering
CG too far aft.

Flew mine in the gym for the first time last night. It is affected by every little change in air currents from the HVAC system and air leaking through the closed doors. CG for the gym is well forward of the one I fly in the basement. Takes forever to make a lap in the gym.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:27 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
CG too far aft.

Flew mine in the gym for the first time last night. It is affected by every little change in air currents from the HVAC system and air leaking through the closed doors. CG for the gym is well forward of the one I fly in the basement. Takes forever to make a lap in the gym.
That was my thought too but self launches were too hairy and the quilt on the bed wasn't smooth enough (didn't think to bring up the box) so after 3 adjustments I decided to wait. I think I'm going to make a heat shrink sleeve for mine also as the battery didn't stick too reliably
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:59 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
I am experimenting with the Mini-Vapor to make it go slower. My first experiments were focused on adding glad wrap to various parts of the wing for very little success. To date, the best scheme seems to be the addition of a Vapor horizontal stabilizer to form a second wing or biplane. I have a video if anyone is interested. What are your suggestions to make the Mini go slower?
twoplanekid is offline Find More Posts by twoplanekid
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:08 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I am experimenting with the Mini-Vapor to make it go slower. My first experiments were focused on adding glad wrap to various parts of the wing for very little success. To date, the best scheme seems to be the addition of a Vapor horizontal stabilizer to form a second wing or biplane. I have a video if anyone is interested. What are your suggestions to make the Mini go slower?
I did the same thing with the Ember, by getting an extra wing and making a biplane out of it. The problem was the motor didn't have enough power to make up for the extra weight and drag. More power is an asset to slow flying with any plane, because you can fly with higher alpha or even hover. If you can put a vapor motor on your plane, it might work. It actually flew but had to go fast to stay in the air.

For all you slow-flyer fans...check this out...awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xDtqUg8R6Jw
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Last edited by Jovanx; Dec 01, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:36 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I did the same thing with the Ember, by getting an extra wing and making a biplane out of it. The problem was the motor didn't have enough power to make up for the extra weight and drag. More power is an asset to slow flying with any plane, because you can fly with higher alpha or even hover. If you can put a vapor motor on your plane, it might work. It actually flew but had to go fast to stay in the air.

For all you slow-flyer fans...check this out...awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xDtqUg8R6Jw
Great video! I swear super low wing loading is the ONLY thing that plane is flying off of!!!!!

-joker
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:43 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,991 Posts
The low wing loading is assisted by the fact that the fuselage is filled with helium. The guy says it flies without the helium, but not quite as slow. It is truly impressive.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:59 PM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,151 Posts
Quote:
The low wing loading is assisted by the fact that the fuselage is filled with helium. The guy says it flies without the helium, but not quite as slow. It is truly impressive.
Ahhh, ok, I thought the fuse was hollow with no helium in it. Did hthey say that in the vid? I probably missed that part.

-joker
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:24 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
I believe Doug and I have spent years looking for that right combination for slow flight . It is fun to try different things.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865438
twoplanekid is offline Find More Posts by twoplanekid
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I believe Doug and I have spent years looking for that right combination for slow flight . It is fun to try different things.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865438
I looked through the thread, pretty interesting designs. I think I will try that to slow some of my planes down......

-joker
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:24 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Some killer depth perception sure didn't hurt either with those turns near the far wall and around the curtains and pillars. Very cool stuff in front of a large audience like that
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:46 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
That was my thought too but self launches were too hairy and the quilt on the bed wasn't smooth enough (didn't think to bring up the box) so after 3 adjustments I decided to wait. I think I'm going to make a heat shrink sleeve for mine also as the battery didn't stick too reliably
ok, with my wife launching it by hand from sitting at her desk I was able to get it so I could fly a few circuits of the bedroom before something would leap out and get in the way. The CG was actually too far forward and I had to move the battery holder back so the connector was over the CG to balance (I used an xacto knife to balance it inverted rather than the ruler they suggested). I wrapped a piece of label around the CG and marked it with a pen for future checks. A piece of 3/8"x1/8" wood was a perfect form for the 10mm heat shrink for the battery sleeve which I have now attached to the battery holder with Foam-Tac. (warning: don't heatshrink around the battery because they do NOT like heat and you will kill it)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
731 Posts
Flew the MV yesterday morning in 3-5mph winds. Winds were straight, not variable in direction, which made it possible.

Wind blew the MV over while it was sitting on the driveway during pre-flight checkout. Flying buddy was close and stopped it.

But once in the air, it was great! Just played with the wind. Kept it about shoulder height in a small space in part of the front yard and over part of the driveway...and away from cars, trees, a hedge and the fence. It stayed stationary, moved left and right, turned left and circled around to play in the headwind again. Did that 3 or 4 times. "Elevatored" down for a sweet landing on the grass. Great fun!

Only a no-wind indoor flyer? I don't think so!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
Ok, folks, what am I doing wrong? Have 3 batteries into trying to learn to fly the mini vapor with very minimal success. I think I was doing figure 8s with the original vapor after about one battery, and in the same space (about 35x35 with 10 foot ceilings, but some obstructions). I think my longest flight is less than 60 seconds. And every time I crash, my latest cg gets wiped out since the battery tray keeps sliding around, very frustrating. I've learned how to go out of a harrier into a very fast dive though! on latest battery I couldn't seem to get a pronounced right turn trimmed out, so ended up just doing mostly "hovering", ugh (though the rudder looks right down the center-line to me). Ok, I'm not the best pilot in the world, to say the least, but I'm not THIS bad (hey, I can even keep a 3 ball fountain going juggling, so I have SOME eye-hand coordination....). . Any help would be appreciated before I give this away to the nearest 10 year old.....(not a bad idea, in any case).
coolstar is offline Find More Posts by coolstar