SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2012, 10:21 AM
Alexandria, VA (Washington DC)
Joined Jan 2007
359 Posts
Discussion
broke my rims

does anybody know how to save, at the same time, the tire and insert that are glued on a broken rim (1/5 bike plastic rim)? i know the rim can be saved with acetone...but the other way around?
poochy is offline Find More Posts by poochy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2006
290 Posts
The rim would probably be dissolved by acetone. I've had good luck using heat from a hot air soldering station or by just baking the wheels (don't remember exactly what temp - but it stank).

-rskip
rskip is offline Find More Posts by rskip
Old May 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,168 Posts
Boiling the wheel for 10 minutes or so will weaken the CA bond by making it brittle. After taking the wheel out of the water, with some gloves or oven mitts on, you should be able to "snap" the tire free from the wheel. Once it's off, do spot CA cleanup on the tire bead with Acetone.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old May 09, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
349 Posts
You may save the tye but i will never again perform well after heating it that way.
I fear i do not have any better solution.
Clark Wohlert is offline Find More Posts by Clark Wohlert
Old May 09, 2012, 04:34 PM
newcastle Australia
Joined May 2004
667 Posts
I know with the venom rims, i cut the centre out of the rim with a dremel (around the under side of the tire so it splits it open) then remove the insert and drop the rest into asetone to desolve away the rest of the rim.
test driver is offline Find More Posts by test driver
Old May 10, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Jan 2007
359 Posts
I baked it and it worked!!!
saved the tire and insert!!!
Old May 12, 2012, 10:20 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochy View Post
I baked it and it worked!!!
saved the tire and insert!!!
tell us what you did exactly what you did for it to work, temp., time etc....thanks, mike
dragbikebam is offline Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Old May 13, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Jan 2007
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragbikebam View Post
tell us what you did exactly what you did for it to work, temp., time etc....thanks, mike
Np...it was simple

Preheat oven 325 degrees.
Put one tire on foil, right on the rack in the middle of oven
heat for 20min
take it out of oven, using thick winter gloves, immediately pull the tire right off the rim...the first pull takes the most strength, once it gets going it pulls off easy

I removed pmt 200s and sb5 inserts off nf plastic and aluminum rims and mounted thm back on the same aluminum rim (originnally had pmt 10s mounted on) and it worked 100% fine with no issues...the plastic rims will deform (but they were already broke) and cant be used again. But the aluminum rim can be reused.

If 20min is not enough thn stick right back in the oven quickly, for anothr 5min.

Be careful with the aluminum rims, it gets really hot.

The bike felt fine after the change, no change in performance
Last edited by poochy; May 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM.