SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
Question
Best Micro R/C Cars for indoor Racing

Hi everyone,

I was curious if anyone has reccomendations for indoor micro R/C cars. I am looking to race indoors in my basement on a say 8x10' track. I bought some used micro-T's to do this but I quickly got so annoyed with them I sold them. They are a pain to work on and the Differentials are really weak, they break rather easily.

any help would be great!

Thanks
thesoulcrusher is offline Find More Posts by thesoulcrusher
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:09 PM
Barboursville, VA
Joined Dec 2008
95 Posts
Mini-Zs would probably be the best choice with that much space but they usually need quite a bit of grip to get decent handling out of them. The 4wd mini-zs would be pretty good on something like a smooth concrete basement floor. If you have some sort of a more grippy surface a 2wd Mini-Z should work fine.
Fajita Dave is offline Find More Posts by Fajita Dave
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:41 AM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
micro sct,rally /truggy better design than the micro t and easier to work on .also except for the truggy can be bought brushless there are a ton of option parts also. the mini z although nice are expencive and also a pain to work on / set up correctly and evey thing is prapritory . you must use their stufff for electronics unless you want to mod the heck out of it. but never the less the mini z line is more scale looking than any other micro and the quality is top knotch .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:08 AM
Joined Feb 2004
102 Posts
That is a small area so it will be hard to make an interesting track. You will want cars that have a tight turning radius, which will allow narrower lane widths and thus better tracks. The losi rally, short course and desert truck are bigger than the micro-t so probably have a bigger turn radius. Do you have access to a bigger area such as a 2 car garage? That will allow more car choices.

How much of a factor is budget in your choice? If cost is not a factor I'd look at the kyosho cars, especially the dnano. It's one of the smallest cars so it would make the most out of your limited area. Kyosho cars are expensive so it is hard to get non-hobby friends to buy in. I exclude cars that cost over ~$100 otherwise I end up racing myself. For sub $100 I'd recommend the HPI RS32 (you may need a discount or coupon for sub $100) or Micro-t. Neither is ideal for racing out of the box, but with some mods they're pretty good. The micro-t transmission lasts much longer if you run it wet, I melt a hole with a paperclip in the top and put a few drops of tri-flow in before each race night. The RS32 needs a body mount mod and a battery swap mod to make it raceable, see my mods thread below.

HPI RS32 Mods Thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=rs32+mod

micro-t's with a few mods racing in my garage (click more info in the top right corner to see a description of the mods)
Losi Micro-T race (1 min 52 sec)

Before making a decision search youtube for race videos with the various cars and note the approximate lane and track sizes.
Evil Twin is offline Find More Posts by Evil Twin
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
Hi Guys, thanks for the tips! My surface should be pretty grippy,. I am using real thin profile carpet tiles. It is kind of like industrial carpet. I like the Micro T's but the transmissions are a nightmare on them.

@Evil Twin: So you say you run the tranny wet on the MicroT ? I was thinking of putting diff fluid in it, do you think that would work?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Feb 2004
102 Posts
What kind of diff fluid, is it made for rc cars? Be careful what you put in there, some oils will weaken plastic. The Tri-flow website says it's safe for plastic.
I think you want a thin oil so it gets thrown all around inside the transmission.

Some people swear by this oil for use in rc and they say it's safe for plastic. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like it may be even better than tri-flow.
M-Pro7 Gun Oil LPX http://www.mpro7.com/mpro7-gun-oil-lpx.html

Here's pictures of my oil port mod from the micro-t diff thread. If you do this when the car is new you may not ever have to open the transmission.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620957
Evil Twin is offline Find More Posts by Evil Twin
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:20 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
the micro t's tranny can be made user friendly by adding a bb transmission and with proper shims will last a while .
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:43 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
hmm i know my friend just bought a losi micro rally car
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0241

and has not had any problems yet, key word there is yet but it is a losi after all
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Aug 2005
400 Posts
i love my micro brushless truggy
yamar6 is offline Find More Posts by yamar6
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
Is that a losi micro truggy?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:45 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
yes it is and ive been eyeballing them hard !!!!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
are they the same differentials as the regular micro T stadium truck?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:59 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
no it is the same chassis as the micro rally / sct with minor differences .1/24 scale
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:58 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
i have for a while thought about a 1/24th losi but i dont know if they are tough enough opinons please
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2005
400 Posts
i think it's better then the kyosho buggy i ride mine mostly out side.I jumed flip it and nothing breaks and mine is brushless 2.4.Losi has a winner with this truggy they just have to make more parts like tires ,ect
yamar6 is offline Find More Posts by yamar6