SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:39 AM
Cleveland Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Joined Dec 2000
401 Posts
8mm

Do yourself a favor and use 8mm bullets with this setup OR you will have to change them later, been there done that!
JIM CALDWELL A is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELL A
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
817 Posts
Scorp, on your build..the motor mounting. It looks like you have just a "bar" that goes under the backend of the motor for support....i see the front; were the shaft is, that the front mount is securely screwed in... I have seen similar setups on other boats..one bracket supporting the entire motor.

I guess depending on the torque or size of the motor then you can just do the single mount...is that correct?
stiks is offline Find More Posts by stiks
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
817 Posts
Starting to work on mounting motor and cutting flex drive.

Question..i know i have to cut the flex drive length inside the boat where it meets up to the motor...is the idea to keep it as straight as possible..meaning keep the motor close..it would seem to me that you dont really want any bending of the flex as comes inside...is that correct?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
817 Posts
Bill, here is a pic of the motor with the mount on it. As you can see my thrust bearing sits inside the mount frame. I guess i can cut a piece of aluminum and put it over the front of the mount..like in your pic...or is it ok the way i have it.
Last edited by stiks; Mar 22, 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Oct 2007
38 Posts
Cut long, you can always shorten. And make sure to leave a gap between end of strut and drive dog. Also make sure shaft is all the way up in the collet.

See last 2 paragraphs http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/inf...mble-shaft.php
oscarel is offline Find More Posts by oscarel
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:41 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiks View Post
Bill, here is a pic of the motor with the mount on it. As you can see my thrust bearing sits inside the mount frame. I guess i can cut a piece of aluminum and put it over the front of the mount..like in your pic...or is it ok the way i have it.
As long as the bearing is free to turn inside and the collet butts tight against it without touching the motor mount you can run it on the inside as you have it.
On my 2028 mount the motor shaft hole was a little too small for the 8 mm thrust bearing to go inside it. But big enough that the thrust washers were just barely overlapping it. That's why I made the plate for the thrust bearing to ride against.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:49 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
Ah, ok. so is it run without the brass between the bottom and the back of the strut?

I just read this correctly............................YES there is NO brass tube from the bottom of the hull to the front of the strut................just teflon is the way it came.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
817 Posts
I cut down the teflon tubing to accommodate the new large speedmaster strut. Its kind of a long story but with the speedmaster strut and cutting the teflon tube to fit..i can still go back and use the original strut later... If i had measured it all for the original strut then needed to go to the speedmaster strut for some reason...i would have cut too much off.

I ran into a little issue with the wooden braces inside the boat for the motor mount...the pre-drilled holes for the original gas motor mounts are too far apart for my new electric motor mount...i can move the motor up close to the flex drive tube and use those holes ...but then i will have to drill holes for the rear bracket..... Or i can use the pre-cut slots for the back bracket....but then i will have to cut holes for the front bracket... I will post pics in a bit.. looks like i will need to do some cutting either way.....

even if i flip the brackets around..same problem
Last edited by stiks; Mar 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: more info
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:49 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Did you get the turn fin I made you?? Hope you found it in the box with the motor.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
817 Posts
Scorp, yes..got the turn fin. I am going to start that bit of work soon. I am still working on my motor mounting issue but may have come up with something during my long drive to work..

As for the turn fin. I cant get my hand in there to get the wood/ply "plate" inside the sponson. I was going to get one of the kids to do it... I will probaby just use a long thin peice of wood to reach inside and mount it. Then i can drill the holes outside for the turn fin mount.

Going to order batteries later this week. I know "we" want 9s 2p..but does it have to be a 6 3cells? Can it be like a 2 5cells and 2 4cells? Isnt the object to get 36.3v with 10,000mah? When i talk to my flying buddies at the field they always give me a hard time about the 6 3cell setup. Im sure you have heard it before but with planes..its about being able to use your batteries for other applications; i.e. planes... So they always give me a hard time saying i wont be able to use 3 cell 5000's in anything but the boat...

So in other words do we have to use the 6 3cell setup...is it a weight thing?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:59 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
If you have other RC rigs that can use 3s i'd go with six 3s. I did it cuz i had 2 already and they fit perfectly in the gas tank area. Look at the measurements of the batts you are considering and see how/if they will fit in your cockpit..............you are gonna put them there right?
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Jan 2012
817 Posts
Just ordered the batteries for the hydro and another esc for my recovery tug.. from Hobbypartz...

2 x 4c 5000pks
2 x 5c 5000pks
and a SeaKing 35amp esc with reverse...

Sorry about not posting lately...really busy at work.. Also a little scared to cut into the hull for the turn fin. I have mocked it up a bunch of times but when it comes to the actual cutting/drilling..thats another story.

However in the meantime i have blocked off the exhaust port tube and the cowl intake ..i will post pics tonight..came out really good!!
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
817 Posts
Bill, in this picture of the battery setup you have 2 connectors for the negative into the esc and 2 connectors for the positive into the esc......how are you connecting 2 cables into 1..is this were the parallel cable comes in at or are you just using a Y connector??

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-182-9s-2p.jpg

Or do you have another picture of this same battery setup but connected to your esc??
Last edited by stiks; Apr 03, 2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:20 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Stiks..............here's a pic of a parallel connector i made. This is a smaller capacity connector, i think its 5.5's all around. I now use exclusively 5.5's on the batt side and 8mm on the ESC side.

Second pic is of a different idea where i just soldered two leads off of each batt lead for parallel running..............no connectors!
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:44 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,262 Posts
Scorp already has you covered on the connection to the esc. That's the same way I do mine. Actually there was another photo right next to the one you listed that showed the setup connected to the esc but scorps photo is easier to see the how the harness is made.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member