HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:23 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Discussion
Just curious... what if dx450 had 1/4 scale suspension?

Call me crazy but what if the m5 cross / dx450 was modified to use 1/4 scale suspension? What if the front wheels and forks along with rear swing arm & suspension was replaced with either arx/qrf or vmx size parts? Ok, so probably some custum work would be needed like triple clamps or new swing arm, etc. The bikes are cheap enough, look strong, have low cog with very lite rider so why not give it new life in the 1/4 class?

Heres a modified pic of the scales of bikes, which I then photoshopped parts around to get a better visualizing (original pic is by DEZ which I grabbed from venom's facebook page). Ok, its midnight, Im frustrated at my bike, so call me crazy. Anyone as crazy as me think up stuff like this? Do you think it would work?
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:17 PM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,376 Posts
What part of the VMX is frustrating you?

I have both bikes, but still have yet to run my VMX (bought it used and the frorks were destroyed by the last guy), but seems most troubles are from the gyro. Putting the VMX rear wheel and swingarm on the DTX isn't gonna help you with that. You may be able to swap the DTX gyro over with a good bit of work, but I'm not sure if it would be heavy enough for the larger bike.

And yes, I think up lots of crazy stuff - still working on my gyro-less off road bike!
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:00 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Thats true, you are pretty crazy. lol Without crazy ideas, nothing would change though right?

On a side note, I believe the dx450 has the best bike to gyro weight ratio of the bunch (lightest bike with heaviest gyro of all bikes). It looks like it has the lowest cog too and thats why its so stable for a mechanical gyro. However, just from what Ive seen on youtube, the suspension looks like it could use a lot more travel and bigger wheels/tires. Hence my pondering this idea...what if the dx450 had 1/4 suspension and wheels at the least? Scale wise looking at the mock up pics, the dx450 rider and frame seem close in size to arx with just these changes. Maybe the vmx forks could be used but yeah the rest of its parts are to specific to carry over to anything else unfortunately.

Put an egyro in for good measure and I think this might rip up a track. Days like this I wish I was a millionaire. lol
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:08 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Thats true, you are pretty crazy. lol Without crazy ideas, nothing would change though right?

On a side note, I believe the dx450 has the best bike to gyro weight ratio of the bunch (lightest bike with heaviest gyro of all bikes). It looks like it has the lowest cog too and thats why its so stable for a mechanical gyro. However, just from what Ive seen on youtube, the suspension looks like it could use a lot more travel and bigger wheels/tires. Hence my pondering this idea...what if the dx450 had 1/4 suspension and wheels at the least? Scale wise looking at the mock up pics, the dx450 rider and frame seem close in size to arx with just these changes. Maybe the vmx forks could be used but yeah the rest of its parts are to specific to carry over to anything else unfortunately.

Put an egyro in for good measure and I think this might rip up a track. Days like this I wish I was a millionaire. lol
+1++ Johnny, same thinking as you on that subject. If only VMX had put the battery at or below the axle centerline like the DX and copied the DX's gyro, but beefed it up with a real sprag type bearing, or offer an electric gyro option. WE might have some real dirt bikes to race, lol.
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:16 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
You could get problems with the mounting of the steering - not only to make it fit, but also to make it beefy enough.
1/4 has more forces (Wheels are heavier, the lever is longer), and the Anderson/Duratrax is not designed for that.

But basically yes - an Anderson with the Suspension of a 1/4 scale Bike could be a Killer..
Gartenzwerg is online now Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:01 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenzwerg View Post
You could get problems with the mounting of the steering - not only to make it fit, but also to make it beefy enough.
1/4 has more forces (Wheels are heavier, the lever is longer), and the Anderson/Duratrax is not designed for that.

But basically yes - an Anderson with the Suspension of a 1/4 scale Bike could be a Killer..
True. On a side note, I was curious about the bike so I downloaded the dx450 manual. I just noticed that it has a crashback system for front end / steering stem (plus optional aluminum piece). I never knew it had that.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:31 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Sorry about this lol...
For my future reference, look into using parts from the MX400 Himoto Racing 1/4 scale dirt bike for suspension/wheel replacements.