HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:37 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
I think maybe the programming is different between the black widow and robird .
The setups looks the same but my 450 pro fly's more like my quad , very stable , and with analog mg90 servos.
The only thing i don't like is takeoff. when i spool up its like a flybar and wants to move to the left . If i don't give it right input it will tip over .
Yep...thats the G31 from Robird. Cyclics have a robotic feel. Not bad if you get use to it..
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,204 Posts
Quote:
I think maybe the programming is different between the black widow and robird .
The setups looks the same but my 450 pro fly's more like my quad , very stable , and with analog mg90 servos.
The only thing i don't like is takeoff. when i spool up its like a flybar and wants to move to the left . If i don't give it right input it will tip over .
Have you updated the software? They fixed that problem ages ago. I had my 450 Sport sit on the ground spooled up at midstick and 0 degrees pitch for 15 minutes until the LVC kicked in when I lost contact with the RX once and it never tipped (this was just after the software update that fixed the problem) And it was gusting wind out at the time so it's not like it wasn't being pushed around.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:02 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,057 Posts
I didn't even know there were updates for this thing . Right now i am so use to it it doesn't bother me anymore . I feel now if i do update it and fix it , i may dump it in the ground on spool up LOL.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,204 Posts
Quote:
I didn't even know there were updates for this thing . Right now i am so use to it it doesn't bother me anymore . I feel now if i do update it and fix it , i may dump it in the ground on spool up LOL.
You don't use the PC app with it? There's an update option on the front page. Also setup is much, much easier on the PC. If the software is that old you'll have to redo the helicopter setup though. A lot of the options were changed and new stuff added like swash leveling at min/max collective and as a result you need to redo everything. It definitely flies better with the newer software than it did with the old software from when it had the tipping problem (not that it was bad then, it's just better now). They also changed the left and right piro stop (now called Piro brake) settings so they make more sense. (the way they were before was misleading and people were setting it backwards)
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:22 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,057 Posts
LOL , I did use the computer . There is no way i could use the dots to figure it out. I got it when it first came out and never touched it after i set it up . I figured it was a small issue and after it took off it flew perfectly .
The last time i flew it was before the cold and snow hit . That was my first crash with it too after 20 flights . I lost rudder for some reason and landed it but while landing i hit a small bush . The blades tipped over but nothing damaged , inspected what happened , everything was working normally . Put it down took off from the crash site and flew it back home . Still don't know what happened that day and it worked another 3 flights that day .
As far as flying it anymore , i still don't trust it as much as a flybar .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:53 AM
I can fly!
Australia, TAS, East Launceston
Joined Aug 2010
84 Posts
Just got my first set of carbon fibre blades. $7 from hobby king can't beat that.

I had been running a set if woodies after I crashed the stock fibre glass set. They needed so much tape to balance them they still weren't perfect and made a horrible sound.

I hovered in the back yard and wow! No vibes! Nice and smooth. I can't wait to try it out at the park. Bring on the head speed!
dceng888 is offline Find More Posts by dceng888
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:29 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Alright, I didn't listen to some of the recommendations here and started with a clone. Namely the 450TT Pro V2 Flybarless kit from Hobbyking, along with a Typhoon something motor, 45A YEP ESC, 2200mah Zippy Compact lipo, stock blades and so on. I use 2.2kg metal geared cyclic servos and a 3.5kg 0.07 sec metal geared tail servo, can't remember the model numbers right now. I've got a Tarot ZYX-S FBL controller on the way.

Is there anything I need to think about before I put it together? Linkage lengths? I know people say the Trex 450 manual is what you want, but I've read elsewhere that not all rod lengths are correct and so on I haven't gotten far... Two of the servos have been installed, the tail has been assembled and so on.

Small problems so far.. Not many really. Torque tube wasn't perfectly straight, I had to bend it slightly to make it wobble less. Seems acceptable now. Wouldn't hurt to have an extra bearing in the tube, but you can't buy just the bearing.

Screws and nuts, no loctite on anything, none whatsoever. I've put loctite on one side already, I'm letting it harden before I loctite the other side of the frame.

Amazingly, the main gear assembly doesn't wobble and appears to be just fine. I've heard some bad things about the main gears so I ordered 3 extra before I noticed that this one is actually fine.

As for spares, I just ordered extra linkages, another torque tube, main gears, front TT gears (rear gears are out of stock, will order later), extra main blades, tail blades, tail tube and so on.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:00 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
My list of stuff, for those interested:

Hobbyking YEP 45A (2~6S) SBEC Brushless Speed Controller
Turnigy Typhoon 450H 2218H Heli Motor 3450kv (450 class)
Turnigy TGY-113MG Metal Gear Digital Servo 2.2kg / 0.10s / 12g
HK-732MG Coreless Digital MG/BB Servo 28g / 3.5kg / 0.07s
HK450 size Pinion Gear 3.17mm/11T (Align part # HZ052)
HK-450TT PRO V2 Flybarless 3D Torque-Tube Helicopter Kit (Align T-Rex Compat.)
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:11 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,264 Posts
Nice setup. i bet it will fly really well. I hope you ordered the progcard with the YEP. You really need it.

I dont think "the TT wobbles lees now" is anywhere near acceptable. you really need your mainshaft, tailshaft and TT dead straight to keep vibrations from ripping your heli apart in just a few flights. (not exaggerating here)
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:17 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I'll try again to straighten it further, but it's quite difficult to do it by hand. :P

Unfortunately, I do not have a programming card for the YEP ESC. Not sure why I didn't order that one and now the Chinese New Year is almost upon us. Or them.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:47 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,264 Posts
Don't worry, the stock settings are just fine. Use a throttle-curve right now and switch to governor when you get your card.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:58 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Alright, will do.

Now, there are some things I'm unsure of right now.. I've seen a lot of talk about pitch settings and whatnot. I know that at mid-stick the pitch should be zero, no matter the mode. I'll aim for +/- 12° for the main blades when idle up is on.

Now, the tail, is there anything I need to do to set up that thing properly? As far as I know it can't be at 0° pitch when the heli is at a high enough RPM to fly. (Or when at idle-up) Is this something I have to adjust mechanically on the servo by adjusting the servo arm? Or is this trimmed in software? What about endpoints, are those adjusted in software too? I dont want this thing to bind, obviously.

As for the servo horn/arm, this servo comes with a fairly large selection of servo arms. Regulat servo arm, cross-arm, a disc and so on. I'm not really sure which hole to put the ball link on. On the cyclic servos I used the second outermost hole. (16 mm out from the center unless I'm mistaken)
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:19 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,264 Posts
12° is quite a lot. If your new 10° is plenty to begin with. For the tail 5° of tailblade pitch at 0° collective is a good start. Just follow the ZXY pc program setup. it will give you a good idea of what to do. Max out the tail servo travel and see what point on the servo horn is best, then screw it on. The round horn closest-in hole is generally good for me. reduce tailservo throw in the pc software if it binds at the ends.

There is a link in the ZXY topic 1st post where i explained it all in detail.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:25 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Alright, 12° is what I see all over the place. Crazy 3D is not something I'll get into anytime soon, if ever. Helicopters just seemed like a nice sidestep from multirotors that I've been using for a while now. I feel like I have to explore every part of this hobby, there's always something new to do!

Anyhow, thanks for the help! This should be enough to get me started. I won't get the FBL controller until next week or so. I'll do what I can until then.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:28 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,658 Posts
Pitch curves & autos

It's simple enough to set up your pitch curves to use only 10 degrees. If you intend to do any autos, however, I would set up the collective range in the gyro to -12 to +12, in which case 10 degrees of pitch would amount to a hair over 80% pitch.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c