HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
Thanks Valiant.

I got Glenn at RC Connectors to make me a short adapter cable ($7 shipped) and ordered the SCT from Horizon. I should be good to go real soon.

Kim
raggedclaws is offline Find More Posts by raggedclaws
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
Just got my micro brushless SCT today. What a fun little car! I've only run one stock battery through it so far, but it handles just great on the street in front of my house. I'll be using my Hyperion 2S 240mAh batteries as soon as my adapter cable arrives. Does anyone know how much run time I can expect with these batteries before I reach a safe discharge (80%)? Also, I'd like to do a little "drifting" on my hardwood floors. Who makes after-market tires/wheels for this car that are suitable for drifting?

Thanks, Kim
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:40 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedclaws View Post
Just got my micro brushless SCT today. What a fun little car! I've only run one stock battery through it so far, but it handles just great on the street in front of my house. I'll be using my Hyperion 2S 240mAh batteries as soon as my adapter cable arrives. Does anyone know how much run time I can expect with these batteries before I reach a safe discharge (80%)? Also, I'd like to do a little "drifting" on my hardwood floors. Who makes after-market tires/wheels for this car that are suitable for drifting?

Thanks, Kim
G'day Kim,

Blackstarhobbies should have all the upgrade parts that you'll ever desire: http://blackstarhobbies.com/index.ph...word=micro+sct

However before you fork out 20bux for a set of drifters, you can get it drifting well for free I have tried several ways but each has its pros and cons!

Dusty wheels: This is probably the easiest way to get some drift action on floor boards or lino. If you are a slob like me simply do a few burnouts under your couch to get the wheels slippin and slidin. Or the more civilised approach is to rub some baby powder on the wheels. But the downside is, as soon as you hit some carpet the dust comes off.

Sticky tape or masking tape: I prefer masking tape around the wheels when choosing this method. I think it gives you slightly more grip, but it still gets plenty loose under power. The downside is that it looks ugly.

Glue coated wheels: Find a rubber safe glue thats pretty runny and dries hard, then coat your tires in it, then let it dry for 24hrs+. This is probably the best way to get your 1:24 drifting, + you can easily swap the wheels over when you want grip again. The downside is that it requires a bit of work and you need to buy another set of wheels and rims (unless you are 100% dedicated to drifting). Also when choosing this method I like to use old bald tires, or you could sand the tread off, this is only to make them look more realistic.

In regards to the battery run time: Fully charge your battery and set up a stopwatch, then run it like you would usually drive it until you start loosing power. Now take note of the run time and set a timer for your next run a minute or 2 before you started to loose power on the first run.

What battery comes stock with it??? I got mine before they released the brushless versions. I was pretty Peeed off A month or 2 after I bought my sct and got the brushless conversion kit + lipo, they released the second version 1:24's. I could have nearly bought 2 second version 1:24s for what I paid for my 1st version sct with upgrades
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Sep 29, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:06 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,542 Posts
I have a question for anyone out there. Does the losi brushless brick use a built in bec?? If so where can I tap into it to run my cooling fan???

Cheers
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
Thanks again for all of the great info, Valiant. You've given me plenty of drifting options to try.

Kim
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:41 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,542 Posts
Here are some pics of my dirt proof cooling system / air ram + roof scoop. Shes still a work in progress though

Everythings a tight friction fit once the canopy is on, however I am still going to glue the box on once I work out the wiring. The chimney stack will remain a tight friction fit though incase I decide to change the canopy in the future, so I can have different chimney stacks for different canopies.

The box and chimney are made out of 3mm depron and covered in textured carbon fiber vinyl.

Additionally I have a losi metal motor mount on the way to keep things extra cool

All of this is in preparation to step up to 3s

Also I like to occasionally run it off the beaten track so the dirt proofing is a must, plus note the debris guards made out of an old bank card
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 04, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
SCT and 2S LIPO problem

My new brushless 2.4 Ghz micro SCT has a problem with my fully charged Hyperion 2S 240mAh battery packs. When I pull the throttle trigger on the TX I get no throttle response. I get steering response but the motor doesn't budge. When I use the stock 4.8 volt NiMH battery everything works fine. Also when I use a partially charged Hyperion 2S LIPO (storage charge) everything works fine. Is there some kind of over voltage protection built into the esc? These cars are supposed to work on a 2S LIPO battery. Some have even used 3S batts. Any ideas?

Thanks, Kim
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:55 PM
N. Adams,Ma.
Joined Sep 2008
73 Posts
Quote:
My new brushless 2.4 Ghz micro SCT has a problem with my fully charged Hyperion 2S 240mAh battery packs. When I pull the throttle trigger on the TX I get no throttle response. I get steering response but the motor doesn't budge. When I use the stock 4.8 volt NiMH battery everything works fine. Also when I use a partially charged Hyperion 2S LIPO (storage charge) everything works fine. Is there some kind of over voltage protection built into the esc? These cars are supposed to work on a 2S LIPO battery. Some have even used 3S batts. Any ideas?

Thanks, Kim
Is there a programing card that comes with the car?I know on the1/36 scale Exceleron esc, you have to set whether you are running lipo or nimh, although that has more to do with low voltage cutoff. Worth trying though.
gordonmoney is offline Find More Posts by gordonmoney
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
No programing card came with my car. Very little information is contained in the instruction sheet, but that small amount of info is available in quite a few languages.

Kim
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:15 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,542 Posts
Quote:

Thanks, Kim
There shouldnt be an issue, I transitioned to 2s without any hiccups, but I am currently using the losi 2s which has a rather low C rating, 14 I believe. Maybe the C rating is too damn high (lol) with the hyperions, but again I wouldnt think it would cause any issues

EDIT: You're right the manual is rather vague, this is all I could dig up:

"Steering servo operates but the motor does not run....

The battery may not be charged - Discontinue use and fully charge the battery

Connection from MRX50-BL to motor is bad - Unplug the connection, and plug in the connection

Motor defective - Test independently, repair or replace as needed"

http://www.bladehelis.com/ProdInfo/F...524_Manual.pdf
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 02, 2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
Thanks for the info and links, Valiant. I got the car to work with my Hyperion lipos by cycling the steering several times before engaging the throttle (per a suggestion on another forum). I think you might be right about the C rating. The Hyperions have a high C rating (65C ?). I'll try to determine the maximum voltage I can charge to while allowing the car to function properly. I'll report my findings later today.

Kim
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:44 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,542 Posts
I'll tell you what, I hope im bloody wrong about the C rating because as I stated a few posts back I have some Turnigy nano-tech batteries on the way:

Spec.
Capacity: 260mAh
Voltage: 2S1P / 2 Cell / 7.4V
Discharge: 35C Constant / 70C Burst
Weight: 14g (including wire, plug & case)
Dimensions: 33x20x13.5mm
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:12 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,542 Posts
Hey Kim,

I think I found the answer, I posted it in your thread @ the microtforum if you havent already seen it. http://www.microtforum.com/forum/vie...=216262#216262

Phewfff, so the batteries I bought should work, and the C rating shouldnt be causing your issue

Found another thread, same issue: http://www.microtforum.com/forum/vie...=216277#216277

The guy returned it for a new one which apparently works with 2s
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 02, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:08 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
the only way a c rating will cause an issue it if its too low . as that is how many amps the battery can safely put out . if higher than the requirement it hurts nothing but if too low it can in fact puff the batterys and ruin them or causing them to run hot and prematurely die faster or wirst case catch fire .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:32 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Did you ever find a good servo upgrade that fits in the stock body? I have both the 3-pin and multi-pin connections on my brushless brick, and I want to upgrade my servo so its less jittery and more precise, but I dont know where to start really
I have yet to find a suitable upgrade, but then I haven't been looking as-of-late. During the flying season, I spend most of my RC time flying planes & helis. I'll get back into driving & upgrading the SCT this winter. I'll let you know if I find something. However, others may have already figured it out.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member