SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:54 AM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Not sure of the actual height, but you can see over the top of a 60foot tree at the 30 second mark so I'm guessing around 70foot or 22 metres. I'll try for higher next time

She still flies OK after straightening the flybar thingie and a camera case rebuild. Super glue is great stuff. Lucky the camera had a backup piece of string holding it on cos the bracket fell off in the crash.

The camera I'm using is one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_3339wt_906

They're getting very cheap and give pretty good results.
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:28 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Read my mind mate, I was just about to ask you about those on board cameras hah! I've read that this heli was quite durable, but taking a fall from 70 feet or close to it is impressive! What caused the crash however? Did the signal cut, or did you come into contact with something?
Judo JoNny is offline Find More Posts by Judo JoNny
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:32 PM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
I suspect it just became unstable trying to descend too quickly. I'll take it slow next time.
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Sep 10, 2010, 01:36 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokes View Post
I suspect it just became unstable trying to descend too quickly. I'll take it slow next time.
I'll keep that in mind! Although thus far I haven't had my 9053 any higher than perhaps around 20 feet. I've encountered the same problem with the 9098 before, with the heli becoming unstable after a very quick descent. Crashed on at least two occasions due to that alone.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:16 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Doh. I was doing a bit of night flying as it was a calm (if cold) night, and I managed to crack my canopy on a botched landing against the curb lol. I can probably pick one up rather easily at the LHS or even a vendor at the market for around $10, but anybody have any particular places (besides eBay) that they get Double Horse parts from? It's not a big deal, but I just find it slightly annoying haha.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:56 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
The only place I know how sells DH is hobby-estore, which is in USA, so I guess shipping rates aren't really interesting for you.
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:42 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Well?

OK Guys, so what's the final verdict on the DH Volition 9053? Is it as questionable as the S006, S031, and S032? Or is it a step above those?

Cheers,
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:51 PM
indiana
Joined Aug 2003
22 Posts
i have been testing one for several days now. other than blade strikes, it flys well and is very stable. one blade strike caused at least a 30ft fall with no damage except for a bent flybar. as soon as i hit the 50 flight mark i will add them to my inventory for resale. i could have sold a boatload of the S032, but they just wont hold up.
dkish is offline Find More Posts by dkish
Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:36 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
OK Guys, so what's the final verdict on the DH Volition 9053? Is it as questionable as the S006, S031, and S032? Or is it a step above those?

Cheers,
Ed
I've had my 9053 for around 6 weeks now, and absolutely no problems whatsoever. It flies beautifully (assuming calm conditions), is very stable and has decent forward speed. The only downside is that blade strikes occur every now and then, but the flybar appears durable and you can easily bend it back into shape.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:47 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Well that' good to know that this model may have a future.

As for the "blade strike", I noticed from looking at a photo of the 9053 that there is a relatively small distance between top, and bottom blades, compared to other models.

I remember watching a YouTube video of someone modifying their co-axial heli with an extension shaft to increase the distance between to two sets of blades. This just about eliminated the blade strike issue.

Another tip I picked up while reading some of the comments on the videos about the DH 9053 specifically, is that in order to improve the model's ability to fly in breezier conditions, adding about 2 ounces of weight to the front of the chopper will help. Some did this by taping coins or a piece of hardware like a large nut for example to the inside of the front of the cowl or frame. Have any of you ever done this?

I'm pretty tempted on buying one of these as they can be found pretty inexpensively on the net.

Cheers,
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo JoNny View Post
I've had my 9053 for around 6 weeks now, and absolutely no problems whatsoever. It flies beautifully (assuming calm conditions), is very stable and has decent forward speed. The only downside is that blade strikes occur every now and then, but the flybar appears durable and you can easily bend it back into shape.
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Sep 22, 2010, 03:50 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Extended shaft is a common "fix" for coaxial. They indeed reduce blade strike. Another thing to improve FFF is to reduce the length of the flybar.
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:36 PM
USA, FL, Panacea
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
When I see this thing listed as "3.5" channel it makes me wonder... just what does that mean?
APJudson is offline Find More Posts by APJudson
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:42 PM
indiana
Joined Aug 2003
22 Posts
the .5 is for the high low speed switch for the tail rotor.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:09 PM
USA, FL, Panacea
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkish View Post
the .5 is for the high low speed switch for the tail rotor.
The tail rotor actually does something on this heli?
APJudson is offline Find More Posts by APJudson
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:38 AM
indiana
Joined Aug 2003
22 Posts
it what gives you forward and reverse flight.