HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:29 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
105 Posts
Discussion
Lousy NitroPlanes Support for bad ESC in Brushless A10

Last weekend, I bought the green Brushless A10 from Nitroplanes at the AMA show. Tony was a nice guy to talk to and assured me that they have better support than others. I did have some construction problems including the front landing gear wire was not long enough and also the servo horn was not long enough to attached to wire. I did my own workarounds to fix that. I did have a defective 20A brushless ESC where it would beep continously without engaging. The other ESC was fine. I initially sent email to support about this defective ESC problem and they replied back saying that they'll get back to me within 1-2 days, which they never did. I then tried calling their support phone number but was on hold for 15+ min and so I hung up. I then talked to Sam online. He initially said I'd have to drive to their store to have it replaced. My thought was "that's rediculous that I'd have to drive there to have it replaced". I said "What if I'm from another state, you can't expect me to fly there". Then I said why can't I send in defective ESC to have it replaced. That's when he finally agreed. I don't mind having to fix things like out of alignment landing gear but if the electronic is defective, I would normally expect a company to send me replacement unit without such hassles. I thought from my reading that NitroPlanes had better support but I personally would never buy anything from them anymore. Oh and I also posted this problem on rcdiscuss.com which is where Tony told me to post any problems about my plane, but they have not responded to either.
wsame is offline Find More Posts by wsame
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:11 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Just for the fun of it, did you try switching the motors? Maybe it's the motor that's bad.

BTW, when you get super low prices like many of these online places, the customer service is what they are scrimping on to do it.

I only buy airframes from these places, and use proven components to finish the planes.

There are so many posts in here about the perils of buying RTF /RR stuff -- oh well
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:15 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
+1 to buying airframes only!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:30 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
105 Posts
Yep, I switched motors and it didn't work either. It comes with two 20A ESC and the other ESC works fine with both motors. And yes, I also had the throttle stock to down/off position so that ESC won't go into programming mode.

The frustrating part is that Nitroplanes Support doesn't even bother responding to you from their support email nor rcdiscuss.com forum. They also do not pick up their support phone lines (you're on hold forever).
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:37 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
When you're done wasting your time trying to get a $5 part from them, you can chock it up to lesson learned (only buy airframes in the future) and spend about $17 to have a new matched set of 20A ESC's shipped to you in approx. 2 weeks or less:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...ies_18-20A_ESC

That's $7.15 x2 plus $2.99 shipping comes out to a $17 and change.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:17 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
105 Posts
I finally got a hold of someone at Nitroplanes support and they said that they cannot support any products that were bought through the AMA show. Of course Tony never mentioned any of this when I purchased it. How can they sell stuff at the AMA Show and have no support at all for these products. That's totally rediculous. So I'm completely out of luck. I will never buy anything from Nitroplanes again. What a sham.

Doubletap, thanks for the advice. I was already looking to buy two ESC from HC but I think i'll stick to Turnigy 25A. I have one of those 18-20A HC brand and had some problems using them on muy Decathlon 370D. Do you think I should I buy one 40A ESC or two 25A Turnigy ESC?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
You can't use one ESC for 2 brushless motors.

BP Hobbies has inexpensive ESCs, and fast shipping
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:31 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
never thought this kind of complaint would come from nitro planes
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:32 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Are you kidding??? Search the forums!!!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsame View Post

Doubletap, thanks for the advice. I was already looking to buy two ESC from HC but I think i'll stick to Turnigy 25A. I have one of those 18-20A HC brand and had some problems using them on muy Decathlon 370D. Do you think I should I buy one 40A ESC or two 25A Turnigy ESC?
Like Kelberts said, you must use 1 brushless ESC for each motor; just make sure you use two of exactly the same brand/model.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
never thought this kind of complaint would come from nitro planes
Lots of complaints against Nitro, Raiden, X-Heli, etc. etc. I use all of them and never had a problem but I'm not exactly a noob and have more reasonable expectations relative to the value/risk I am accepting when doing business with discount retailers.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:54 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
o sorry guess i never really noticed that much.
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:29 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Nitroplanes should have had a big a$$ sign at the AMA that said. "ALL SALES OF PLANES SOLD AT AMA SHOW ARE SOLD AS IS, NO WARRANTY". If that had been clear you could decide if it was worth the risk to you.

Yesterday I went to Nitroplanes and searched for their warranty policy and couldn't find one. That seems odd. I also checked out Advantage Hobby warranty policy and it is pretty strict. For example, if you attempt to assemble and plane and it doesnt' work the plane is considered used and cannot be returned.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:54 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
105 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help. A friend of mine also said not to use 1 ESC for 2 brushless motors, so I'll be ordering two 25A turnigy ESC from HC. It just take a while for shipping from overseas. I agree with Prof100 that there should have been a sign or they should have told me when buying plane from tham at the AMA show that all sales are final type of thing. Other than the ESC problem, everything is good about the plane. I did have some construction problems including the front landing gear wire was not long enough and also the servo horn was not long enough to attached to wire. I did my own workarounds to fix that. I do like the paint job on the A10, down to the face with teeth paint on front nose of plane. I'll be switching out the stock recv for spektrum rx. My friend who has the GWS A-10 said he had alot of glitching using hitec Electron 6 before switching to Spektrum rx. I guess it's because there's alot of interference from 2 motors. I'll report back when I get the new ESC and hopefully get it up in the air.