HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:25 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,392 Posts
Build Log
**Speedy** by 3DMON (Plans & Video)

Here is the plane I designed for the "fastest foamy" thread.
I wanted a plane that was strong and easy to build.
My whole thought for this plane was to keep it simple.

This plane flies fast and smooth.
If anyone builds one please post your pics here, I'd love to see them.

Kits and free plans are available on my website at www.3DMONDESIGNS.com

** Make note that most motors will need the shaft reversed, and may need modification to do that.**
**For those who are not comfortable modifying the shaft here is a good 3mm shaft with the groove already at the end of the shaft that fit the motors I suggest below. 3mm shaft at Hobbyking or US source for 3mm shaft

The specs:
Wingspan is 26"
Length is 21"
Flying weight 10.8 oz's (3s setup)
Foam: 6mm depron or Fanfold blue foam

My initial power system:
With this setup I was able to get the "Speedy" up to 91.4 mph straight away.
Motor: Mystery 2632-3000 3000kv
Prop: 4.5x4.5
ESC: 30 amp
Battery: 3s 1300mah 20c "Zippy Flightmax" lipo
Servos: Hitec 55's or comparable

My 120 mph setup:
Motor: Mystery 2632-3000 3000kv
Prop: 4.1x4.1 APC
ESC: 40 amp
Battery: 2 - 2s 1300mah 20c "Zippy Flightmax" lipos to make a 4s pack
Weighed a hefty 13 oz's

My 138mph 2nd place setup:
Motor:These motors have been discontinued but it was a 65 gram motor for size reference. TP 2415-06T 4400kv I managed to smoke this motor and would recommend the 3850kv instead.
Batteries: 2 Turnigy 1600mAh 2S 30C Lipo Pack making a 4s pack
Speed control: Suppo 50amp speed control with added bec
Prop: TGS Sport 4.1x4.1E Precision propeller
This setup is not really recommended because the weight came to 15.7 oz's but it did fly lol.

Here is the prototype's maiden flight with the 91mph setup.
Speedy's maiden flight (5 min 38 sec)

The 120mph setup.
3DMON's Speedy on 4 cells going 120 mph! (4 min 26 sec)

The 138mph setup.
3DMON'S Speedy 4s 4400kv now going 138 mph! (4 min 19 sec)
3DMON is offline Find More Posts by 3DMON
Last edited by 3DMON; May 05, 2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Updated info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:27 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,392 Posts
Build pics

Here are the build pics with instructions.

If you want a pdf of the instructions it can be downloaded here:
3DMON'S Speedy Instructions

When sanding the airfoil be sure to do the top and bottom for a symetrical wing.
I used packing tape to reinforce the plane and believe this adds tons of strength to the plane.
When taping, start from the trailing edges and work your way forward, overlapping each piece of tape and 1/8" to 1/4" on itself. Be sure to tape the whole plane for extra strength.

I designed the motor mount to be a 2 piece setup for easy motor changes.
Last edited by 3DMON; Jul 20, 2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:57 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Nice! I'll be printing and building this one. Thanks!

One questions on the plans do you trim the right side of the paper or the left side. May sound like a odd questions but one I felt I should ask.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Last edited by bass3587; Jul 18, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:41 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,392 Posts
It does not matter which side is trimmed.
Last edited by 3DMON; Mar 12, 2014 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to update this post when plans were changed
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:59 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,392 Posts
The plans have been modified so the lines will butt up against each other.
Last edited by 3DMON; Mar 12, 2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Forgot to update this post when plans were changed
Old Jul 18, 2009, 11:47 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
189 Posts
I wonder if u kfm4 it if u would get more speed?
dean_85 is offline Find More Posts by dean_85
Old Jul 19, 2009, 06:16 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_85
I wonder if u kfm4 it if u would get more speed?
I wonder too?? If I was to do the kmf4, I would still sand a sharp leading and trailing edge to it. That type of airfoil would provide more strength too.
After my 3rd build is done and proven on 4s I might give it a try.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 06:19 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Nice Job 3D!

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jul 20, 2009, 01:10 AM
Joined May 2007
363 Posts
Nice plane! I've been looking for a design like this to cut out on the Phlatprinter.

When you are able to fly level at, say, 1/4 throttle, and then give it full throttle, if it pitches up, I generally think that's a thrust angle issue. Can you angle the motor DOWN a few degrees, and try it again? I try to build things to need as little trim as I possibly can, within reason.
mrbubbs is offline Find More Posts by mrbubbs
Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:43 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON
Ooh dont trim at all. Unfortunately there is a space in between the lines. This is how cutepdf tiled the file for me. I need to figure out how to get rid of that.
If CutePDF allows you to select a custom page size, you could "print" to 8 in. x 10.5 in. "paper", and then print the resulting PDF at 100% - centered. You'd then have a 1/4 in. margin all around each page, allowing users to print all of the content with most printers.

ScaleAndTile3 does all this for you automagically, producing the PDF directly, using the iText Java library, so no printer-driver setup steps are involved.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves

P.S. Please let us know if these ideas work for you with CutePDF, so everyone can benefit from your solution.
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Last edited by segraves; Jul 21, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:10 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,515 Posts
Great design 3DMON! It definitely deserves its own build thread! Maybe you could post some of these construction pics in the "Fastest Foamy thread" also. Your Speedy would be a great design for a stock depron pylon racing class!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:03 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,392 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys!

Mrbubbs I wasn't really having a problem with the plane climbing when I gave full throttle, it was the the torque of the motor and bent nose from that first crash giving it some unwanted left roll when I punched it .

Bill I'll have to play with that a bit when I get a chance, but man I bet your scale and tile would be so much easier .

Pdawg I will be builing #3 real soon, I will add some pics over on the other thead with my construction techniques then.

I am considering offering kits if people are interested.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 03:38 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segraves
If CutePDF allows you to select a custom page size, you could "print" to 8 in. x 10.5" "paper", and then print the resulting PDF at 100% - centered. You'd then have a 1/4 in. margin all around each page, allowing users to print all of the content of most printers.

ScaleAndTile3 does all this for you automagically, producing the PDF directly, using the iText Java library, so no printer-driver setup steps are involved.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves

P.S. Please let us know if these ideas work for you with CutePDF, so everyone can benefit from your solution.
Bill,
Thanks for your suggestion. I got it to work.
In fact it works great! Now you can just line the lines up with each other with out there being a space.

I've attached the updated .pdf in the first post.
Last edited by 3DMON; Aug 19, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:53 PM
Joined May 2007
363 Posts
I cut one of these out on the Phlatprinter tonight but I have a few questions.

First, I used the 1/8" plan on the phlatforum and noticed that the cut for the tail is very close to the part near it, that they intersected and slightly cut more material in the other piece but I think it'll be fine. I recommend maybe spacing those parts further away from each other.

I'm wondering which order I should do things.. as far as painting and then taping for reinforcement. It seems to me like paint won't stick very well to the packing tape that I was going to use, so is there an order that works better or should I trust that the paint will go on the packing tape OK after I have stuck it all on?

What density sandpaper should I use? Or should I use one of those drywall screens to sand things down?
Update: well, I got out the ol' sanding block and some fine grit sandpaper and that seems to work the best without tearing up the foam at all, so that's cool!

I think that should be it, and I'll be ready to build! I'm hoping it'll look almost as nice as 3dmon's!
mrbubbs is offline Find More Posts by mrbubbs
Last edited by mrbubbs; Jul 22, 2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 05:18 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
Joined May 2005
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbs
I cut one of these out on the Phlatprinter tonight but I have a few questions.

First, I used the 1/8" plan on the phlatforum and noticed that the cut for the tail is very close to the part near it, that they intersected and slightly cut more material in the other piece but I think it'll be fine. I recommend maybe spacing those parts further away from each other.

I'm wondering which order I should do things.. as far as painting and then taping for reinforcement. It seems to me like paint won't stick very well to the packing tape that I was going to use, so is there an order that works better or should I trust that the paint will go on the packing tape OK after I have stuck it all on?

What density sandpaper should I use? Or should I use one of those drywall screens to sand things down?
Update: well, I got out the ol' sanding block and some fine grit sandpaper and that seems to work the best without tearing up the foam at all, so that's cool!

I think that should be it, and I'll be ready to build! I'm hoping it'll look almost as nice as 3dmon's!
Thanks for the update on the cut file, I'll look into that.

I recommend taping first then paint. What I do that works really well is to sand the tape with 400 grit sandpaper in a swirl motion to help get the paint to stick. I then use the Krylon fusion paint for plastic as my base coat.

As far as the airfoil I found using 150 grit paper works great to rough it in, then I work my way down to 300 grit.

Looking forward to seeing your finished plane.