HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
New to UAV/RC/Copters

Good afternoon.

I have been browsing the net in general looking about for various information to use if I am to build my own long range quadcopter (UAV).

My electronics skills are limited to GCSE electronics and building computers for about 16 years (25yo now). So although I would love to be able to do these amazing super cheap builds I have seen, I think I need a more plug and play option.

I basically want a UAV (quadcopter due to mobility) with a decent operating range. All it would need to carry is an IR cam (not FTIR) and have a long range FAV.

I am happy to make the frame out of aluminium myself (to keep costs and also weight down).

The rest though I need help and recommendation. I have been using http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc to get an idea of my power requirements for a good flight (around 30mintues at max power).

As for the UHF tx rx system, how is the bevrc chainlink and a futaba tx? Are these well matched and reliable? The chainlink has 9 channels...the tx has 6. Is this a problem or will the chainlink naturally use the 6ch on the futaba? As for the rx, do i need an original rx to 'piggyback' the chainlink on?

For videolink...I am clueless on options regarding frequencies. The system will, eventually, possibly be used to scour for lost persons in moorland. So for the video, it may need to be ok (i.e. not HDTV and not the quality of a potatoe).

The range I would like to cover would be about 10km radius.

Thank you for your time .
Johnny010 is offline Find More Posts by Johnny010
Last edited by Johnny010; Sep 26, 2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Range
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Oct 2010
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny010 View Post
The range I would like to cover would be about 10km radius.

Thank you for your time .
If you intend for that kind of range, you are definitely in the realm of "commercial", so before you even start configuring your UAV, you should get personally involved in all the commercial aspects and regulation of doing what you want to do.
There is so much happening very fast in this field that it will be easy to get oneself in trouble really quick.
The Feds are already looking at our hobby as a potential threat so we don't want to give them any more reasons for regulating the bejeebers out of us.

As it is now, there is a consensus (there may already be a law if there isn't yet) that hobby flights of UAV's must be made within eyesight of the pilot or spotter.
That means that you are going to have to explore what it takes to be licensed for out of sight flights.

I say all that assuming you are in the US, but I'm betting that all foreign countries are going to have similar restrictions.
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:58 PM
I Ain't Got It !
Joined Jul 2012
99 Posts
I am also new to UAV and quickly found that things change a lot if you want to fly out of direct sight.
I don't want to pile on, but what the original poster intends is very much going to be a highly regulated situation as far as permits and licensing requirements I think.
Farber is offline Find More Posts by Farber
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:38 PM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,144 Posts
Johnny010 - sounds to me like you're in the UK. In which case, 10km is definitely NOT line of sight, so you're going to need all the correct commercial approvals and exemptions from the CAA. Seems to me that you've got some reading to do.
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:42 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny010 View Post
Good afternoon.

I have been browsing the net in general looking about for various information to use if I am to build my own long range quadcopter (UAV).

The words quadchopper and long range donít go together. They are very inefficient flying machines. I started with quad then a Y6 (better than quad) and now I am flying airplanes. Airplanes are definitely the way to go if you want range and endurance. Also they will probably be easier to get certified.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:48 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,078 Posts
First learn how to fly. That will give you a much better understanding of what the power system requirements and the limitations. Just building and learning to fly will answer many of your questions and you will be more able to figure out what you need.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man