SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2008, 05:18 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
Build Log
Mcclain Wing Cores 24" virgin foam/EPP wing

Hey folks

Have been perusing the treads for months regarding the McClain Foam Wing Cores addition of flying wings to their catalog of foam cores and plans.

After a few calls with questions to Jeff at McClain Foam Cores, I offered to do a building thread based on one of his 24" wings as I had time and tools.

Jeff agreed to send me the 24" for a building thread to get an idea of how he makes his stuff / quality/ cutting, materials and design as I had never seen these wings before nor knew who designed them.

Jeff has been making cores for scale and combat planes based on the Gus Morifs plans as well as for power slope and slope soaring for quite a while. Several years ago a close friend built a mosquito from his 1/12 cores and plans with excellent results. I have read several threads based on his combat cores - so the guy has a good track record as well as phenomenal Ebay feedback.

This wing can be bought on Jeff's Ebay store:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MWC-Flying-Wing-...QQcmdZViewItem

I will call the build as I see it, this is a chance to see the design to make sure it works as advertised.

I am making some assumptions in this thread:

1) you have limited experience with building your own airplane but have build at least an ARF.
2) you have basic tool knowledge like how and when to use an exacto blade over an exacto saw.
3) you have a rudimentary knowledge of how your radio gear works and the proper tools for installation.

Other than this type stuff, I am taking it pretty simple and pretty straight forward in the build.

Please don't rail on me for being oversimplified for those that do know the basics . . .there are many that do not! There are many that would not even dream of picking up a kit type design which severely limits the options in performance and fun planes available.

In the old days you had to build your airplane to fly it . . now we have folks in China doing that part for us so that we can enjoy the flying side, fortunately, I enjoy both sides of the hobby.

So here goes!

UPDATE:

Plane is built and flown many times. Fast, stable, clean and handles wind like nobody's business. By far the best small park wing I have flown.

Here are some pics, check out the link to the building and set up thread in the Park Forum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...48#post9516401

VIDEO LINK: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872684
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Last edited by pval3; May 31, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2008, 05:22 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
specs

Here are the specs on the 24" MWC wing.

24 Inch wing span

Wing area is 108 sq.in.

CG is 3-7/16 to 3-11/16 from the center L.E.

The L.E. is 1/2 inch EPP Foam

The main body of the wing is virgin white bead foam.
Old Apr 07, 2008, 05:25 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
the box

Here is the way it comes in from McClain Wing Cores. The box was solid and there was no damage to the box or wing cores.
Old Apr 07, 2008, 05:26 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
Packing was phenomenal; cores were centered in the box with shredded paper. Jeff packed two sets of cores in the box.
Old Apr 07, 2008, 05:30 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
contents of the box

Here are the contents of the box. The main part of the wing is virgin foam. The leading edges are EPP. Cores were taped in the beds and secured with shipping tape. The EPP was kept together with masking tape.
My overall impression of the materials at this point is that the foam and EPP is clean, no ripples, no pulls and no inconsistencies in the foil along the span. Very impressive cutting.
Old Apr 07, 2008, 05:36 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
root and tip

here are pics of the root and tip of the cores
Old Apr 07, 2008, 05:49 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
EPP leading edge

The EPP leading edges were cut with the appropriate sweep angle cut for you.
They were also marked clearly for those that might not be familiar with airfoil shape and how to figure the right from the left halves on the leading edge material.

The weight of the cores and leading edges themselves are a scant .4 oz!
Old Apr 07, 2008, 06:15 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
bare cores

Here are the cores out of the beds with the leading edges placed in front of them.
Old Apr 07, 2008, 06:34 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
closing and moving

Hey guys

I am going to close this tread in the wing forum and start it in the park flier forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...48#post9516405

Here is the link to the rest of the build thread

thanks
Phil
Old May 03, 2008, 09:32 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
Update

Hey guys

Here is a brief update.

Been building like a fool both the wings. Both are finished as of this evening and awaiting flight testing.

I have taken the 24" wing out for a test spin in spite of the 18 kt+ howling winds here in the Carolinas. It flew out of my hand with very little effort but my cg had a little more adverse effect than I planned and the motor was a little less top end than advertised. I found that my CG was a little too far forward for the design ( mine ended up 3/8" ahead of the most forward CG Jeff had listed with the 1000 mah 2S lipo.)

I switched to a 720 Mah 2S pack that dropped right in when I got home, that shifted the CG back right into the middle of the range. This should solve the sluggish pitch response. Roll rate was fine with my config but could not get it to accelerate to a reasonable speed with the prop I had on. The motor used seems to be a much lower KV than advertised, lots of torque but no real top end. I went from a 4/2 gws square prop a 4/4 gws scimitar prop which appears to give me about 2 more oz of thrust with minimal increase in amp draw.

Next opportunity to fly comes mid week, rain expected for the next two days.

Here is the link to the building thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=5#post9687126
Last edited by pval3; May 03, 2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old May 08, 2008, 11:48 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
flight control set up starting points

Hey guys

waiting for the weather to break, wings have been blowing or rain has been falling (we need it bad!).

I have been fine tuning my set up in the meantime.

Here are the flight control setup parameters:

reflex 1/16" up

Expo set to 35% on elev and ail.

Differential set to 0 to start. Plan on messing with it once I get an idea of how this airfoil flies.

elevator
1/4" up and down @100%
1/8" up and down at 60% dual rates

ailerons
1/4" up and down@100%
1/8" up and down at 60% dual rates

CG was on the center of the parameters with my 720 2S, I am investigating other motor options to bring the cg further aft to accommodate my 1000 mah 2S lipo packs (what I intended to use)

The motor performance it better with the 4x4 prop, I estimate 3.5 oz thrust on a 5 oz set up.

It should be more than enough to get us in the air and fluing nicely but no where near where we were planning.
Old May 08, 2008, 02:35 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
flight report - finally!

Hey guys

Glad to say that the 24" wing has been successfully test flown today. - what a joy to fly! handles like a 36" wing in wind.

Conditions:

winds 12kts steady with mist. Raining all day, this was the first break!

Setup was as listed with the Kokam 720 2s topped off.

Balance was right smack in the middle of the range tested again at the field.

Dual rates were set as listed above and used. I did not go to the full rate throws on this set of flights.

First flight,

tossed using keel with throttle at half, model flew out of light toss with slight drop before accelerating out.

Trim input, slight up and slight left.

Tested the model in a basic turn and straight ahead flight . no funky stuff. Model flew beautifully but briskly.

The wing is a much high aspect ratio form than the small wings I have flown (pocket combat and the like when they came out a few years ago.) in the past. The penetration in wind was phenominal, much better than I expected with slight dips when the air got rough near the tree tops at the area I flew. It handled the gusts as well as a much larger and heavier wings I have flown - very impressive.

Power off glide was a little faster than I expected but dead on a safe and normal rate for a powered wing.

Stalls were dead on, no tip stall just a good forward stall and easily recovered from with a down elevon or power with slight altitude loss.

Power on stalls in a hard climb were a non event, no spins and no tip stalls. It just mushed out then dropped the nose - very predictable.

the landing was dead on at my feet, the model is very predictable with no real bad habits.

All though out flight, throttle never went above about 3/4 and speed was moderate!

Flight time 4 1/2 minutes

Flight 2

Battery fully charged and balanced

trim memory used to reset trim tabs.

Ran throttle up to 3/4 and tossed using the keel

model flew out of hand with no problem and accelerated out.

Winds began to pick up and gust at this point. approx 4 kts of gust on top of wind.

Model tracked like it was on rails, very acceptable speed and penetration.

did a set of climbing turns and descents to see high and low speed characteristics, airplane handled fine with minimal trim changes between fast and slow speed.

slowed model down to do some low, slow passes. control was great at slow speed right above stall, powered up at end of field and climbed up but found the wind too rough above trees (30') to accurately so kept it down low.

High speed passes. Model tracked with different speed inputs with minimal trim changes. top end is approx 40 - 45 mph, low side is about 8-10.

Roll rates tested with dual rates on.

dual rate settings for the ailerons need a little more throw for aerobatics but for regular flight and first flights they were perfect. I flew in a relatively tight field and the plane handled frequent and moderate turns with no problem.
I did not turn off the dual rate settings as I wanted to ascertain what the baseline for a good solid first flight would be for the purpose of the thread.

Pitch with dual rates

Pitch settings for dual rates were right on for casual flying.
I did not turn off the dual rate settings as I wanted to ascertain what the baseline for a good solid first flight would be for the purpose of the thread.

Flight time 5 min 35 sec.

Flight three:

charged and balanced the lipo

winds and drizzle continued...

tossed the plane with full throttle. plane flew out of hand before I really had to make the effort. accelerated right out and was no problem in the wind.

re trim settings and all tracking was right on the money

rolled it on it's back and pushed it through an outside loop, did so without effort and climbed up to about 25'.

Did several speed passes, with the wind gusting up higher than before it was a little squirmy but then again, I would never have thought of flying any other park type flier in the winds that were blowing--- so - - l can ask no more - it flew in spite of some pretty rough conditions.

the speed passes were impressive, with only a 24" span and a dog of a motor, it scoots along respectably and handles basic loops and rolls with authority. The rates needed to be increased but I did not want to mess with it when I was getting tossed around with the gusts.

Turns were all tight and roll in and out were very positive feel. The plane really grooves well.

Did some inverted passes, took an average bit of elevator input to hold it but had plenty to do a casual outside loop and the end of the field.

Rolls were crisp to left and right but slow. I need a little more input on the dual rates to make this work the way I like but probably fine for the basic flier.

Landings - all three were predictable and controlled in spite of the winds. on the first two flights they were right at my feet and on the last one, the gust dropped off as I was about 2' from the ground and the plane landed about 6' shy of my feet - -darn, I hate when I have to take a walk!

Summary:

I like this plane. Best part of all is it fits in my suitcase for travel.

The MCW 24" is very different than a pocket combat or scram blur in that it has a much higher aspect ratio planform and a thinner airfoil that allows it to penetrate very well in all types of conditions, especially in wind.

The two part wing (virgin foam and epp) makes for a very rigid and durable structure that handled the flight testing I put it through last weekend with a forward CG well - no dents, dings or cracks! The light airframe coupled with the epp leading edge absorbs the bumps of landing and the dings from twigs on weeds on the landing area fine.

It has no bad stall characteristics, pitch and roll response are pretty much matched and handles very well even with the reduced throws I had set up in my radio to start things off.

the operable CG was dead within the mfg suggested CG range.

The sky is the limit with power options, I would not hesitate to push this design over 6.5 oz. (mine was 5.1 with the 720 mah and 5.6 with the 1000 Mah) without any issues - and am planning the power upgrade as I type!

I would recommend placing the battery 1/4" further back than mine with this motor and the 1000 mah battery as it would make the variety of packs wider to accommodate for the CG range.

I would highly recommend this airplane to anyone who wants something compact that will give a moderate level of performance at a very reasonable price and is a little different than the other products out there in this class.

I would not recommend any plane of this size to anyone who is brand new to the hobby and has not flown a few planes. It is easy to fly and very predictable but it is very small, especially when it is under power and at a distance. Orientation would be an issue.

Phil
Old Jun 01, 2008, 08:23 PM View Post
MWCores
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while MWCores edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 09:01 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
flight video

Hey guys

been out and about the last few weeks but finally got a little flying in again. I have a funky schedule and no days off when the rest the world is off or - my favorite, everyone is off and it is raining!

I asked about 5 folks to meet me to fly and no one could work it out around the time I had - bless my wife for opening up the schedule for a little R and R time away from our little ones to terrorize the skies!

Either way, I went out with my wife's Sony camera and played two hand commando . . radio in one hand and video camera in the other . . . man - perspective is a bear when you are trying to line things up in the view finder . . .

Got this quick video of set up and flying . . trying to launch and hold a video camera just ain't feasible so the way this thing hops in the air is going to have to wait for another time . . . . . . .and if it was able to juggle launch and video I would have been out dating far more when I was single

I flew three packs through the 24" and was very pleased with the handling with the 4X4 GWS prop and the lighter kokam packs. with a perfect CG centered on the bird it just handles and maneuvers pleasurably . . .and it is fast for something this small. Although the top end is not what I imagined with this particular motor, the top end is more than enough to keep me on my toes in the field I have been slipping into to test fly (three soccer fields side by side with a 15' boarder between the side lines and the tree lines- Tree tops are about 40' - - hope this gives some perspective for you in the video)

Here is the link
VIDEO LINK: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872684

I like the speed and I like the handling.

This plane is just great to drop in the back seat of your car and take out anywhere and have something that challenges you just enough to make it fun in a very small space.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 09:02 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
crash results!

I had my first "crash" with the plane into some tall bamboo at top speed . . .just got a little too cocky and close to the trees at the far side of the field.

The plane hit at top speed and bounced back and forth from about 20' up. I would classify it as a 7 out of 10 for lack of survivability...

after I picked up the battery and the cowling from about 6' away, I came up t o the plane and found a slight dent in the left wing that was more cosmetic than anything.

I rubbed the ding and it was back to normal, thew a newly charged pack in and went flying again. No big deal!